HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Mar 12, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #2,026 of 3,181
1 more question: I notice that when I set MSEB sliders in Audio Settings, it does not appear to carry over to the MSEB settings within Hiby Music. I had thought MSEB was system-wide....is there some additional setting to make it so?

Mar 12, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #2,027 of 3,181
2. I have a Qobuz subscription and downloaded Qobuz app. on the player. I know RS6 supports bitperfect playback, I presume this applies when using NOS and Hiby Music. Does the same bitperfect output apply when using other playback software such as Qobuz?
This depends on the app. For example Roon and Plex are stuck with SRC despite HiBy's bypass. Tidal works. Not sure about Qobuz, but if you install UAPP you can get hi-res Qobuz inside UAPP. I only use UAPP (disabled HiBy Music).

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #2,028 of 3,181
3rd day with the RS6, REALLY enjoying it. Ran as USB DAC for 6 1/2 hours today while working from home, several meetings w/PC audio and listening to high res. flac from my PC, battery at 23% at the end. Either the DAP and / or my ears are burning in (as well as the new UM 3DT I am also burning in along with the RS6), but I am very pleased with the sound and function. I do generally prefer NOS. Still playing with MSEB, harmonic controller, other settings. Two questions though:

1. RS6 specs, indicate it has two crystal oscillators, one for 44.1 kHz rate family and one for 48 kHz rate family. However, in USB DAC mode it doesn't seem to play the 48 kHz rate files from PC correctly unless I allow the PC playback software to do rate conversion to be compatible. Am I missing something on this?

2. I have a Qobuz subscription and downloaded Qobuz app. on the player. I know RS6 supports bitperfect playback, I presume this applies when using NOS and Hiby Music. Does the same bitperfect output apply when using other playback software such as Qobuz?

Thanks, a lot to learn but thuis far loving the RS6!! :smile_phones:🎶

I Completely agree with @gLer I'd strongly recommend that you invest in purchasing USB Audio Player Pro.. That's an app that you can use on any Android based player (except Astell & Kern) and gives you a lot of control over your audio quality. Bonus is that next to local audio files it also integrates Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions in their highest resolutions... UAPP also offers a great variety of equalisers, morphing tools, crossfeed options as well as bit perfect playback, Native DSD options etc etc... The Swiss Knife of Audio playback...

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #2,029 of 3,181
3rd day with the RS6, REALLY enjoying it. Ran as USB DAC for 6 1/2 hours today while working from home, several meetings w/PC audio and listening to high res. flac from my PC, battery at 23% at the end. Either the DAP and / or my ears are burning in (as well as the new UM 3DT I am also burning in along with the RS6), but I am very pleased with the sound and function. I do generally prefer NOS. Still playing with MSEB, harmonic controller, other settings. Two questions though:

1. RS6 specs, indicate it has two crystal oscillators, one for 44.1 kHz rate family and one for 48 kHz rate family. However, in USB DAC mode it doesn't seem to play the 48 kHz rate files from PC correctly unless I allow the PC playback software to do rate conversion to be compatible. Am I missing something on this?

Unfortunately I cancelled my Qobuz subscription a few months ago. With Tidal app directly it plays bit perfect NOS from 44, 48 all way through mqa 768. Same with downloaded flac music onto a mini SD card. But I’ve never used it for PC playback since I have a regular desktop setup. I have noticed MSEB doesn’t seem to effect MQA on Tidal at all, Darwin harmonic controller does seem to work with every app I’ve tried so far.

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #2,030 of 3,181

1. What do you mean by "not correctly"? If you mean they end up being at a different rate--PC system audio is fixed at a single sample rate with all audio being resampled to that sample rate, unless you configure your app to use WASAPI exclusive output (which is only available on some apps). On apps without WASAPI, yes, you would have to change the sample rate each time manually if you want the output sample rate to always be the actual programme sample rate.

2. It should support bitperfect playback on a lot of other Android apps as well. Notable exceptions include Amazon, which always outputs at max device sample rate. Check the sample rate indicator at the top of the screen.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 12, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #2,031 of 3,181
1. What do you mean by "not correctly"? If you mean they end up being at a different rate--PC system audio is fixed at a single sample rate with all audio being resampled to that sample rate, unless you configure your app to use WASAPI exclusive output (which is only available on some apps). On apps without WASAPI, yes, you would have to change the sample rate each time manually if you want the output sample rate to always be the actual programme sample rate.

2. It should support bitperfect playback on a lot of other Android apps as well. Notable exceptions include Amazon, which always outputs at max device sample rate. Check the sample rate indicator at the top of the screen.
Hi @Joe Bloggs, I don't use WASAPI, rather I downloaded the Hiby USB DAC Audio Driver.

Mar 12, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #2,032 of 3,181
I Completely agree with @gLer I'd strongly recommend that you invest in purchasing USB Audio Player Pro.. That's an app that you can use on any Android based player (except Astell & Kern) and gives you a lot of control over your audio quality. Bonus is that next to local audio files it also integrates Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions in their highest resolutions... UAPP also offers a great variety of equalisers, morphing tools, crossfeed options as well as bit perfect playback, Native DSD options etc etc... The Swiss Knife of Audio playback...

Thanks @gLer and @WDitters. I did use UAPP long ago w/a phone, may be time to get re-acquainted.

Re. disabling HiBy Music, is it necessary to do that to use UAPP? I seem to remember some conflicts when I had UAPP installed with other software on the same device like Neutron or Onkyo HF Player.

In any case, HiBy music seems to be the way to do WiFi file transfers from PC to RS6, very handy. Is there another way to do that without going through HiBy Music if I disable it as @gLer suggests?

Mar 12, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #2,033 of 3,181
Thanks @gLer and @WDitters. I did use UAPP long ago w/a phone, may be time to get re-acquainted.

Re. disabling HiBy Music, is it necessary to do that to use UAPP? I seem to remember some conflicts when I had UAPP installed with other software on the same device like Neutron or Onkyo HF Player.

In any case, HiBy music seems to be the way to do WiFi file transfers from PC to RS6, very handy. Is there another way to do that without going through HiBy Music if I disable it as @gLer suggests?

UAPP and Hiby music can happily co-exist... Not necessary to disable Hiby music. But UAPP in principle does everything that Hiby Music does and more...

Mar 12, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #2,034 of 3,181

You don't need to disable HiBy Music. I just do that for the sake of simplicity.

As for wireless file transfers, there's a much more elegant way: Solid Explorer. Another must-have Android app. Access your LAN drives wirelessly, plus Dropbox and other cloud services, all from one app. Copy/paste/move from anywhere to anywhere. I regularly use it to copy files from my Plex music server on the LAN to the SD card in the RS6. Super fast, easy, safe. Never have to plug in my RS6 anywhere to get files on or off it, or remove the SD card either.

Mar 12, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #2,035 of 3,181
You don't need to disable HiBy Music. I just do that for the sake of simplicity.

As for wireless file transfers, there's a much more elegant way: Solid Explorer. Another must-have Android app. Access your LAN drives wirelessly, plus Dropbox and other cloud services, all from one app. Copy/paste/move from anywhere to anywhere. I regularly use it to copy files from my Plex music server on the LAN to the SD card in the RS6. Super fast, easy, safe. Never have to plug in my RS6 anywhere to get files on or off it, or remove the SD card either.
I learned this from @gLer. Works very well. I can also copy files from the Roon Nucleus to the DAP. I don't have a lot of offline files though. And I got the sp2k recently, which has Roon integration, so I can stream straight to the DAP. (Only when at home)

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #2,037 of 3,181
Mar 16, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #2,039 of 3,181
Great tip, happily using UAPP, re-acquainting myself with it's many options. Question: When UAPP is in bit-perfect mode, are the Darwin settings such as harmonic controller and / or audio settings such as MSEB still applied?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #2,040 of 3,181

Update: The above was with gain set to "low", definitely quicker battery drain today in medium gain, not unexpectedly.

Another observation is that while RS6 sounds fine with playback in USD DAC mode, using HQ Player on PC w/DSD output, a bit better with PCM format from HQ Player, BUT direct playback from local FLAC files in NOS on RS6 sounds superior. Perhaps the USB DAC is a weak link or it's DSD playback (which I know doesn't use the R2R DAC nor NOS mode which is PCM only) will be improved in a future firmware.

For now, I do enjoy RS6 in USB DAC mode when working on PC, but direct playback of local files (or streaming QoBuz) w/NOS using UAPP is the clear winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back