HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Mar 9, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #2,011 of 3,181
RS6 owners, I’ve tested my battery life exactly the way the manufacture states now both, balanced and SE, my results have been 6 hours 1 minute Balanced verse claimed 7 1/2 hours and 7 hours 22 minutes verse 8 1/2 hours claimed SE. Using a playlist with all CD quality, low gain, 40 volume, airplane mode, WiFi and Bluetooth off, NOS. Has anyone actually been able to get manufactures stated battery life?

I’ve contacted HiBy and only receive convoluted responses about R2R, but HiBy did claim this RS6 should last those lengths with those parameters. So not sure why they bring up R2R dac as if the test was done with a non R2R device.

So far this is my only gripe with the RS6, it battery lasts much less time then stated. Which will make it hard to use for travel, part of the reason I bought it, convenient size for travel and easy to use UI with 4.4 balanced connection. In my regular use with mqa and other hi res formats, mid gain, 25-26 volume, some streaming, mostly downloaded playlist, I typically get 41/2 to 5 hours of play time. I’ve already done a hard reset as suggested by Andrew and HiBy. Just curious if this is a normal battery life for the RS6 and if so I’m a bit disappointed verse my other DAPs.
Thank you for sharing your "real world" experience. Thankfully, many airlines / flights now have charging outlets available for each seat! Just trying to look on the bright side.
:smile_phones:

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #2,012 of 3,181
Received RS6 this evening, still getting to know it's functionality and character but 1st impressions are excellent. One question: I actually quite like the bundled case, have it fit on now w/RS6 in USB DAC mode playing via my PC. Some DAP's get quite warm in USB DAC mode, thus far not the case with RS6 but wondering if the case impedes air flow / heat dissipation. I know heat is the enemy of electronics long-term health, so if others can share experience with safety of keeping case on for USB DAC listening I'd appreciate it. :smile_phones:

Mar 10, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #2,013 of 3,181
Hello guys, just get my hands on this beautiful device last week.
coming from dx228ex I enjoy the richer mids and vocal and better mqa capability.
However the battery life is subpar even compare to my old dx228ex.
So I followed npaudio‘s instruction to root the rs6 and boy old boy it’s like doubled battery life.
It’s totally free but require certain skills on phone rooting.
I used adb to remove all system bloatware and set kernal cpu freaquency to powersave and also lowest gpu freaquency.
Now I can get close to 6 hrs of play time from a 80% charge with mid gain balanced 30 vol.

Mar 10, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #2,014 of 3,181
Thank you for sharing your "real world" experience. Thankfully, many airlines / flights now have charging outlets available for each seat! Just trying to look on the bright side.
:smile_phones:
True the RS6 does get very hot when being charged and used at the same time. Remains reasonable temperature when only being used.

Mar 10, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #2,015 of 3,181
Hello guys, just get my hands on this beautiful device last week.
coming from dx228ex I enjoy the richer mids and vocal and better mqa capability.
However the battery life is subpar even compare to my old dx228ex.
So I followed npaudio‘s instruction to root the rs6 and boy old boy it’s like doubled battery life.
It’s totally free but require certain skills on phone rooting.
I used adb to remove all system bloatware and set kernal cpu freaquency to powersave and also lowest gpu freaquency.
Now I can get close to 6 hrs of play time from a 80% charge with mid gain balanced 30 vol.
Yeah I have no idea how HiBy can claim 8 1/2 hours SE and 7 1/2 balanced, no matter what I did, including their referred specs, I never got near those results. HiBy stated my 5 minutes of screen time used must have taken away 1 1/2 hours of battery. Really incredible a manufacturer like HiBy isn’t honest about stuff like battery life. My A&K’s and Fiio have always lasted near spec battery life.

Mar 10, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #2,017 of 3,181
Thanks! Any suggestion for MacOS software that can do this? Sounds like I have a learning curve here. What I really want to do is start with something like an AutoEQ preset and modify it to my preferences for my DAPs. The easiest solution would be system-wide PEQ where I could import ParametricEQ.txt, but that's a unicorn for DAPs. I understand that convolution is best but I'm not sure how to best deal with different sample rates (and I don't know how to create/edit).
https://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 10, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #2,018 of 3,181
Mar 10, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #2,019 of 3,181
Do you still need this or would Poweramp do?
I tried Poweramp and it works with Apple music but doesn't with any of my other players like Qobuz for some reason :frowning2: it doesn't detect them. Whatever i tried I couldn't get it working :frowning2:

Perhaps I can try myself with audacity on my macbook but I recall I needed a special audio file with additional channels ?

Mar 10, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #2,020 of 3,181
I tried Poweramp and it works with Apple music but doesn't with any of my other players like Qobuz for some reason :frowning2: it doesn't detect them. Whatever i tried I couldn't get it working :frowning2:

Perhaps I can try myself with audacity on my macbook but I recall I needed a special audio file with additional channels ?

Oddly, Poweramp Equalizer works with Qobuz on my R6 2020 (again, only at 44.1 KHz). Did you enable Advanced Player Tracking with adb?

Mar 10, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #2,021 of 3,181
Wondering if anyone has tried a liquid screen protector on RS6 like this one. I have had poor results with most screen protector sheets that bubble and don't adhere well. The liquid one is made for phones and they generally have Gorilla glass just like RS6 so i expect it's safe, but wanted to check if others have experience using it.

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,022 of 3,181

Rename attachment to .wav (this is the EQ you requested)

Attachments

• emilsoft-req.txt
    17.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 12, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #2,025 of 3,181
3rd day with the RS6, REALLY enjoying it. Ran as USB DAC for 6 1/2 hours today while working from home, several meetings w/PC audio and listening to high res. flac from my PC, battery at 23% at the end. Either the DAP and / or my ears are burning in (as well as the new UM 3DT I am also burning in along with the RS6), but I am very pleased with the sound and function. I do generally prefer NOS. Still playing with MSEB, harmonic controller, other settings. Two questions though:

1. RS6 specs, indicate it has two crystal oscillators, one for 44.1 kHz rate family and one for 48 kHz rate family. However, in USB DAC mode it doesn't seem to play the 48 kHz rate files from PC correctly unless I allow the PC playback software to do rate conversion to be compatible. Am I missing something on this?

2. I have a Qobuz subscription and downloaded Qobuz app. on the player. I know RS6 supports bitperfect playback, I presume this applies when using NOS and Hiby Music. Does the same bitperfect output apply when using other playback software such as Qobuz?

Thanks, a lot to learn but thuis far loving the RS6!! :smile_phones:🎶

Users who are viewing this thread

Back