HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Feb 17, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #1,231 of 1,274
1000020165.jpg
1000020196.jpg

Is there something I'm not understanding about the output power of the RS2. I have both devices on High Gain, yet the volume level is vastly different. In a more demanding IEM like the Kinera, I'm around 44 volume on the RS2, but I'll only need about 22 volume on the R3 (both on balanced). And I've noticed that the difference between low and high gain on the rs2 is negligible, only about 2 volume clicks lol.
Is there a setting I'm not noticing? Or is something maybe wrong with my unit?
It seems that the power should be closer between these units. Or am I wrong?

Feb 17, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #1,233 of 1,274
anyone using their RS2 with coax digital output - what cable do you use ?
apologies in advance if this is bonehead question - never used digital coax from a dap before

Didn't the RS2 come with a USB-C to RCA coax cable?

Feb 18, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #1,235 of 1,274
For the first time I have been pondering the purchase of a Hiby DAP. Quite frankly in the past I found them more of a choice for OS rather than hardware. Choosing instead to go with Sony or Shanling for the best hardware design. But the last couple of years have me looking harder at Hiby. In particular this RS2 and its purist sound design. Unfortunately at $479 US it is simply out of my price range since it is like $650+ CDN. When I saw Hiby was having a Valentine's Day sale I hoped the RS2 would be on sale but alas it wasn't. But the R5 II was on sale for $299 US (down from $449). The Class A amp on it almost had me pulling the trigger on it but ultimately I decided to wait until Black Friday to see what other deals might be had.

Hiby's current DAP pricing structure has me wondering about the future of the RS2 and possible variants going forward. You have the R6 III at $499 US, the RS2 at $479 US and the R5 II on sale at $349 US and of course the R3 II at $179 US. Reviews I have read give the R6 III better sound quality than the RS2 with the Class A/AB amp options. Unless you are an absolute purist and there aren't many of us it would be hard to pick the RS2 over the R6 III given how much more you get for basically the same price. Assuming the R5 series will likely fall between $349 and $379 going forward is there really room for the RS2 going forward or will Hiby reserve R2R for their higher priced models?

What really intrigues me is what Hiby will do with the R3 series going forward. With their clear move to Class A and Class A/B amps and R2R designs they really want to up their game on the hardware side. I would love to see an R3 II Pro with a Class AB amp (Class A is to ineffienct and runs to hot for this price point). Maybe a slightly larger body to accomodate a larger battery and finally a move to at least the Ingenix X2000 over the ancient X1000 like Shanling did with the M1S. At $199 or even $229 (same price as the M1S) I would grab one in a heartbeat and may still ultimately grab an R3 II which falls in my price range.

Would still love to grab an RS2 if it went on clearance for say $349 or even $379. But at $479 given its age and limited battery life not really a practical option for me.

Feb 20, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #1,237 of 1,274
Would still love to grab an RS2 if it went on clearance for say $349 or even $379. But at $479 given its age and limited battery life not really a practical option for me.
One of the reasons the RS2 (and the other RS DAPs) are pricey is the cost of the 96 high precision resistors used (192 in the RS8 IIRC). The cheapest I've seen a new RS2 is $409 during last years holiday sale. Musicteck has open boxed RS2's for $409. I bought my RS6 from them as open box, and it happened to be new. Andrew said it was sold as open box as customs opened the box. You can inquire about their open box RS2's to see what their stories are.

That said, I just bought a lightly used RS2 from a forum member for a great price, under $300. I can't wait to see how the sound compares to my RS6.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #1,238 of 1,274
One of the reasons the RS2 (and the other RS DAPs) are pricey is the cost of the 96 high precision resistors used (192 in the RS8 IIRC). The cheapest I've seen a new RS2 is $409 during last years holiday sale. Musicteck has open boxed RS2's for $409. I bought my RS6 from them as open box, and it happened to be new. Andrew said it was sold as open box as customs opened the box. You can inquire about their open box RS2's to see what their stories are.

That said, I just bought a lightly used RS2 from a forum member for a great price, under $300. I can't wait to see how the sound compares to my RS6.
Be prepared for a surprise. I've been comparing my rs2 and DX320 and the RS2 gets VERY close to the bigger DAP. Like scary close. Only in very busy/layered tracks the 320 gets an edge separating instruments/details. But it's only in a few tracks that it happens, and it's very hard to notice. It takes hours of listening and my ears getting used to the sound so that I can hear the differences.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #1,239 of 1,274

Trust me I understand I have an Electronics Engineering degree and sold high end audio products for years. The RS2 is two years old now and given Hiby's current price structure for their DAP's the RS2 is a tough fit at it's price. I am simply hoping that if the RS2 is discontinued that I can pick one up at a clearance price. As someone who has had the chance to listen to some of the best audio gear money can buy owning a TOTL Dap would be great. But also owning my own business I deal with amortization of assets all the time. Paying $700 CDN for a DAP that gets 10 hours battery life at best is a tough financial option when you start to project the potential life span.

Musicteck charges an arm and a leg to ship to Canada, in the past I have looked at Musicteck and shipping was $50.00 to Canada compared to free shipping in many cases from China or Japan.

As for getting one used especially a two year old DAP that only gets 10 hours battery life what will the battery life be on one used? I bought a used Sony A55 because I knew even used it would still have good battery life left.

There are products you dream of owning and then there are the products you can actually afford to own. I will watch and wait until Black Friday and then see what I can afford to get.

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #1,240 of 1,274
1000020165.jpg1000020196.jpg
Is there something I'm not understanding about the output power of the RS2. I have both devices on High Gain, yet the volume level is vastly different. In a more demanding IEM like the Kinera, I'm around 44 volume on the RS2, but I'll only need about 22 volume on the R3 (both on balanced). And I've noticed that the difference between low and high gain on the rs2 is negligible, only about 2 volume clicks lol.
Is there a setting I'm not noticing? Or is something maybe wrong with my unit?
It seems that the power should be closer between these units. Or am I wrong?
Same here, my friend!

RS2 is the only one DAP I have now, so cant compare to another DAP. But I can confirm the power output on high & low gain just about 2-3 clicks when I plug my old Grado RS2e & Etymotic ER4P (both single end, stock cables).

I think that doesnt matter cause power output isnt advantage of RS2, most time I use that little guy with IEM (low impedance high sensitivity), just plug and play, then enjoy the music, simly dont care anything :))

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #1,241 of 1,274
For the first time I have been pondering the purchase of a Hiby DAP. Quite frankly in the past I found them more of a choice for OS rather than hardware. Choosing instead to go with Sony or Shanling for the best hardware design. But the last couple of years have me looking harder at Hiby. In particular this RS2 and its purist sound design. Unfortunately at $479 US it is simply out of my price range since it is like $650+ CDN. When I saw Hiby was having a Valentine's Day sale I hoped the RS2 would be on sale but alas it wasn't. But the R5 II was on sale for $299 US (down from $449). The Class A amp on it almost had me pulling the trigger on it but ultimately I decided to wait until Black Friday to see what other deals might be had.

Hiby's current DAP pricing structure has me wondering about the future of the RS2 and possible variants going forward. You have the R6 III at $499 US, the RS2 at $479 US and the R5 II on sale at $349 US and of course the R3 II at $179 US. Reviews I have read give the R6 III better sound quality than the RS2 with the Class A/AB amp options. Unless you are an absolute purist and there aren't many of us it would be hard to pick the RS2 over the R6 III given how much more you get for basically the same price. Assuming the R5 series will likely fall between $349 and $379 going forward is there really room for the RS2 going forward or will Hiby reserve R2R for their higher priced models?

What really intrigues me is what Hiby will do with the R3 series going forward. With their clear move to Class A and Class A/B amps and R2R designs they really want to up their game on the hardware side. I would love to see an R3 II Pro with a Class AB amp (Class A is to ineffienct and runs to hot for this price point). Maybe a slightly larger body to accomodate a larger battery and finally a move to at least the Ingenix X2000 over the ancient X1000 like Shanling did with the M1S. At $199 or even $229 (same price as the M1S) I would grab one in a heartbeat and may still ultimately grab an R3 II which falls in my price range.

Respect your opinion and yah, cheaper's always better :))

For me I think this little green skin beast has the superpower to classify customer very well lol :))
Let the price alone, about the function of a DAP, no wifi no bluetooth no streaming no such "smart" things, nothing but music ---> you either really love it or hate it so much.
And for people like me, so f*kin tired and boring with these kind of "smart" functions, I just simply love this DAP. It performs the basic function of a music player, nothing more nothing less. No notification of email, fb or anykind of social media. For me it just simply enough.
And I dont have the habit of considering too much to make a simple decision :))

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #1,242 of 1,274
Respect your opinion and yah, cheaper's always better :))

For me I think this little green skin beast has the superpower to classify customer very well lol :))
Let the price alone, about the function of a DAP, no wifi no bluetooth no streaming no such "smart" things, nothing but music ---> you either really love it or hate it so much.
And for people like me, so f*kin tired and boring with these kind of "smart" functions, I just simply love this DAP. It performs the basic function of a music player, nothing more nothing less. No notification of email, fb or anykind of social media. For me it just simply enough.
And I dont have the habit of considering too much to make a simple decision :))
I feel the same way about Android DAP's which is what keeps me coming back to the RS2 which would be by far the best sounding non-android DAP out there. Barring an RS2 the next best option would be a dual boot android DAP. Boot into a Linux based audio only OS where everything else is bypassed. when you want to do some real listening. Still have full android available when you want to stream. I mean Sony, Shanling and Hiby could all do this as they all have or have had Linux Based OS's.

Sony would have killer DAP if they ever chose to go down this dual boot road as I am sure would Hiby.

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #1,243 of 1,274
I feel the same way about Android DAP's which is what keeps me coming back to the RS2 which would be by far the best sounding non-android DAP out there. Barring an RS2 the next best option would be a dual boot android DAP. Boot into a Linux based audio only OS where everything else is bypassed. when you want to do some real listening. Still have full android available when you want to stream. I mean Sony, Shanling and Hiby could all do this as they all have or have had Linux Based OS's.

Sony would have killer DAP if they ever chose to go down this dual boot road as I am sure would Hiby.
Great idea, my friend! Best of both world (but dont do like IBasso with Mango OS)
PS: in memory of Sony and these good old days :v

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #1,244 of 1,274
You all make good points! The simplicity of the RS2 is what has kept me coming back and using it 90% of time for the past month I've owned it (also the excellent audio quality). Simply plug in my IEMs and start enjoying. No updates or android apps to worry about. It is my commute source too. Boots up super fast, and simply plug in the LO to my truck.
The only complaint I have is that I like to shuffle all my music, and Hiby shuffles every track. That is when I prefer UAPP or Pulsar that when you choose to shuffle all the tracks, it immediately created a playlist that it follows. So when you get a banging set of 2, 3+ songs, you can go back and enjoy them again before moving on. With Hiby you can't lol

Feb 21, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #1,245 of 1,274
I would love to see an R3 II Pro with a Class AB amp (Class A is to ineffienct and runs to hot for this price point).
If you mean separate DAC & Amp as opposed to the integrated (class A/B…) amp of the ES9219C used on the R3-II, you may want to check the Tempotec V3… though it has an opamp-based (OPA1688 vs. OPA 1622 on the RS2) amp, not discrete.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back