HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #1,246 of 1,274
Barring an RS2 the next best option would be a dual boot android DAP. Boot into a Linux based audio only OS where everything else is bypassed.
Hiby’s and most (serious) Android DAPs already do that: R5 and above DAP bypass all the Android audio stuff. Not sure I understand the difference with a dual boot option.

Feb 22, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #1,247 of 1,274
Hiby’s and most (serious) Android DAPs already do that: R5 and above DAP bypass all the Android audio stuff. Not sure I understand the difference with a dual boot option.
A simplistic option where you boot directly into the Player app and all unnecessary circuitry is bypassed including wifi and bluetooth. Ideally an optimized signal path. Almost like having an RS2 built into an android DAP or as close to it as you can get given the space constraints. I mean if an android DAP can be optimized like this already as you say then why even build an RS2? Basically an audio only sound optimized OS like the RS2 has you can choose to boot into when needed.

The R5 II which I have considered buying you can engage the Class A amp but I am not sure how much of the other circuitry is bypassed when it is engaged. Without this option it is a mediocre sounding DAP according to reviews.

A purist DAP like the RS2 is a very small niche product inside an already niche product category. Not sure how many of these Hiby thought they could sell and that maybe they built it just to prove they could. I built alot of custom computers over the years for people as much for the coolness factor as speed. Gaming rigs with water cooling systems and light bars. I even built a tower computer with 4 different gaming consoles built into it just to see if I could do it.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #1,248 of 1,274
A simplistic option where you boot directly into the Player app and all unnecessary circuitry is bypassed including wifi and bluetooth. Ideally an optimized signal path. Almost like having an RS2 built into an android DAP or as close to it as you can get given the space constraints. I mean if an android DAP can be optimized like this already as you say then why even build an RS2? Basically an audio only sound optimized OS like the RS2 has you can choose to boot into when needed.

The R5 II which I have considered buying you can engage the Class A amp but I am not sure how much of the other circuitry is bypassed when it is engaged. Without this option it is a mediocre sounding DAP according to reviews.

A purist DAP like the RS2 is a very small niche product inside an already niche product category. Not sure how many of these Hiby thought they could sell and that maybe they built it just to prove they could. I built alot of custom computers over the years for people as much for the coolness factor as speed. Gaming rigs with water cooling systems and light bars. I even built a tower computer with 4 different gaming consoles built into it just to see if I could do it.
Gotta give some love for the R5 II - I mean in mediocre mode you get 30+ hours of play time

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #1,249 of 1,274
If you mean separate DAC & Amp as opposed to the integrated (class A/B…) amp of the ES9219C used on the R3-II, you may want to check the Tempotec V3… though it has an opamp-based (OPA1688 vs. OPA 1622 on the RS2) amp, not discrete.
Actually what I am thinking of is taking the discrete A/B amp circuit in the R6 III and dropping it into an R3 II. It may require increasing the size of the chassis of the R3 II slightly but that would also allow for a larger battery.

The R3 has had so many different variations over the years with essentially the same chassis and slight changes to the hardware inside. How much further can Hiby take the design before they make some physical changes? Unlike an android DAP where you keep updating the android version and making small changes you can't really do that with the R3 variants much longer without a rethink of the overall design. If there is no long term future for the RS2 or even an RS3 why not a real sound optimized Hiby OS based DAP as you will still have the R2 as your ultimate budget DAP.

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #1,250 of 1,274
Gotta give some love for the R5 II - I mean in mediocre mode you get 30+ hours of play time
True but honestly the only reason I would buy the R5 II is for the Class A amp option. Otherwise why not just buy the M300 instead of the R5 II, it is $150 less and offers close to the same battery life. Not sure how much better the R5 II sounds in economy mode vs the M300. The R5 II is running android 8.1 and the M300 has android 13 as well.

I have to believe will be seeing an R5 III in the near future given R5 II's age and android 8.1. That could be a real interesting DAP if it comes in around $350.00 with better optimized hardware based on the R6 III. If it drops by Black Friday my DAP shopping list might get a little longer.

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #1,251 of 1,274
True but honestly the only reason I would buy the R5 II is for the Class A amp option. Otherwise why not just buy the M300 instead of the R5 II, it is $150 less and offers close to the same battery life. Not sure how much better the R5 II sounds in economy mode vs the M300. The R5 II is running android 8.1 and the M300 has android 13 as well.

I have to believe will be seeing an R5 III in the near future given R5 II's age and android 8.1. That could be a real interesting DAP if it comes in around $350.00 with better optimized hardware based on the R6 III. If it drops by Black Friday my DAP shopping list might get a little longer.
i'm not advising anyone to buy anything - I'm just saying I have owned an R52 for the last 1.5+ years and I use it a lot, sounds fine to me

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #1,252 of 1,274
i'm not advising anyone to buy anything - I'm just saying I have owned an R52 for the last 1.5+ years and I use it a lot, sounds fine to me
Not saying it doesn't but since I am not looking to buy until Black Friday if an R5 III comes out before then all the better if the price is the same or close.

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #1,253 of 1,274

If I remember it correctly, this dual boot capability was used by Fiio on their X7 (??) DAP: you could either boot into Android or directly, and only, in their Pure Player (??). A good idea… but it did not stick.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #1,254 of 1,274
After many random 'updater v1.1' starts and having already updated to v1.1 I needed a fix. There is a case (A6 Custom) for $50 with an opening for the buttons. After testing I found the Previous button was the culprit. So like AlexxA85 I cut a relief in the case, no more problem. There is a metal stiffener where the Previous button is. Fuzzy pic but the metal can be seen.

Attachments

• IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 12, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #1,256 of 1,274
looks like v1.2 is out with a fix for the 4.4 line out volume issue - anyone tried it
no sign of the fabled Darwin V2 yet
do any of the RS series machines have the V2 or does it have it already and I didn't notice :)
the FC6 V1.07 release shows that it has filter set upgraded to DarwinV2, anyone know how long it has been out ?
man are we gonna have to buy a FC6 dongle and feed it from my RS2 just to get the V2 filter set

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #1,257 of 1,274
looks like v1.2 is out with a fix for the 4.4 line out volume issue - anyone tried it
do any of the RS series machines have the V2 or does it have it already and I didn't notice :)
Thanks for the heads-up on the new firmware. I assume this update mainly addresses the complaints that when using the 4.4mm balanced as line out that it would reset the volume lower on a subsequent song? I'm still unclear on if the 4.4mm balanced is officially a line out but maybe that's a moot point. I have used it as LO and just cranked the volume towards the max and it works, just can't remember if I had an issue where it kept resetting to low volume. Been a while since I've used my unit so my memory could be fuzzy.

I guess we're still waiting for Darwin V2. I'll give the update a try and see just what the deal is when I connect using my balanced 4.4mm interconnect to my A&K PA-10. Maybe Joe Bloggs could comment on this update if he has a moment.

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #1,258 of 1,274
The 'SD card inserted' bug feature is still there!

Love it :o2smile:

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #1,259 of 1,274

If it doesn't have that feature included, are you even listening on an RS2? 😅

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #1,260 of 1,274

Probably, when switching to standby mode, the dap stops powering the SD card, minimizing energy costs...
When waking up, the dap resumes power supply to the SD card and other components that were also deprived of power, this takes some time... just at the time when all components wake up, we see a message about connecting an SD card...
in other daps, for example TempoTec V3, this message is absent, but even there it takes time to awaken all components of the dap, although the dap does not inform us about this...
there is no other way to get rid of the message other than turning off standby mode, IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back