HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Oct 4, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #571 of 1,292
Hello friends,

I just posted my review on the HiBy RS2 on the official head-fi thread. Kindly have a read here:-
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hiby-rs2-r2r-dap-surprise.26041/reviews#review-29321

In short words, RS2 is an amazing DAP with outstanding tonality, lovely vocals. It's a great little device that accompanies me for my Gym sessions nowadays. Only things I might get improved? Need some more output power, and the screen is too big for my huge hands.

Hope you guys like the complete write-up. Here's some eye candy :)
5.jpg
Nice. My main gripe with the player is that the processor/ram/fw isen’t capable of running the size of library 2 sd slots encurage

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #572 of 1,292
Nice. My main gripe with the player is that the processor/ram/fw isen’t capable of running the size of library 2 sd slots encurage
I tried it with two 512gb cards full of flacs, about 12k tracks. Works fine.

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #573 of 1,292
I tried it with two 512gb cards full of flacs, about 12k tracks. Works fine.
Probably but not with 60.000 tracks, library browsing is slow to impossible but folder browsing works fine except it can’t display my long folder names especially with classical music

Oct 5, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #574 of 1,292
Probably but not with 60.000 tracks, library browsing is slow to impossible but folder browsing works fine except it can’t display my long folder names especially with classical music
Ah perks of its small screen hehe

Oct 5, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #575 of 1,292

Did it scan and found all 60k tracks? Non-android daps usually have limitation due to a different file system where scanning creates a database file with path to every track and other id3 tag data required during search. That file size is limited, if too big, the search will be slow. And limitation of file size results in a limit of how many files it can scan.

Browsing by folder doesn't rely on search. Thus people with a lot of files usuay partition everything in alphabetical directories for faster and easier browsing by folder.

But again, I don't know what is a file limit in RS2, but guessing it could be higher than the usual 20k (for non android daps) since they are using 2x flash cards.

Oct 5, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #576 of 1,292
Did it scan and found all 60k tracks? Non-android daps usually have limitation due to a different file system where scanning creates a database file with path to every track and other id3 tag data required during search. That file size is limited, if too big, the search will be slow. And limitation of file size results in a limit of how many files it can scan.

Browsing by folder doesn't rely on search. Thus people with a lot of files usuay partition everything in alphabetical directories for faster and easier browsing by folder.

But again, I don't know what is a file limit in RS2, but guessing it could be higher than the usual 20k (for non android daps) since they are using 2x flash cards.
With the latest fw the library track limit got raised from 20.000 to 50.000 and it builds a library from the first 50.000 tracks but the processor/ram simply can’t handle that, opening a genre with 6-700 albums never finishes after 20-30 minutes requiring a re boot to regain control. The screen and gui actually works quit well when browsing in folder mode, it’s just that some of my classical folder names are so long that the screen even on small font can’t display enough characters to make it possible to destinguish one album from another. I’ll have to re-do my folder structure and re-name 3.000 albums but the player is actually so good that I might do that

Oct 6, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #579 of 1,292
If i may please ask, in folder mode with small font, how many characters are actually visible?
33 so as you can see with my folders named <composer> - <albumtitle> I quickly can’t tell one album from another. With a bit of adjusting in the fw they ought to be able to show 2 lines per album and still show 3 albums

C5243B8E-966D-4236-BEA2-38C58F57D457.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #580 of 1,292
Anyone compared the sound quality of RS2 against a good portable DAC/Amp like Gryphon, Mojo 2...?
Could have answered this but, alas, mine seems to be missing thanks to UPS...😥 but I would not expect RS2 to compete with Mojo 2 given that Mojo 2, to my ears, outperforms Cayin R01 by some distance and from what I gather, RS2 is someway behind R01.

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #581 of 1,292
Could have answered this but, alas, mine seems to be missing thanks to UPS...😥 but I would not expect RS2 to compete with Mojo 2 given that Mojo 2, to my ears, outperforms Cayin R01 by some distance and from what I gather, RS2 is someway behind R01.
Mojo 2 is different beer! This is R2R - when I go for R2R I usually look for other 'assets'.

Oct 6, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #582 of 1,292
Anyone compared the sound quality of RS2 against a good portable DAC/Amp like Gryphon, Mojo 2...?
I've Mojo and not the Mojo2.

Mojo is further ahead in terms of producing a refined sound. The top tier DAPs or DACs cost more (with diminishing returns obviously), but for some that extra price difference is still worth the improvements/refinements in sound. But the convenience of the player/DAC to be one small pocketable unit is unbeatable with RS2.

Oct 9, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #583 of 1,292
It seems that RS2 is not as popular as I thought, not very active disussion.

Oct 9, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #584 of 1,292
I really like the sound from the RS2. I have been meaning to do a detailed comparison with the RU6 but have been so damn busy in the last couple of weeks that I have barely have time to sit for any length of time to listen. Maybe near the end of October will get better. The last time I had a session was last week and I was really toe-tapping with the HD58X.

Oct 9, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #585 of 1,292
It seems that RS2 is not as popular as I thought, not very active disussion.

I think non android daps aren't anywhere near as popular, when there is daps like DX170 available it is clear which the majority will flock to, although I'd wager most would be captivated by the sound of the RS2 if they gave it a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back