HiBy R8 User Impressions
Oct 12, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #1,471 of 3,161
I still need to try out Turbo mode. Have thus far tested my three 64 Audio IEMs, settled on medium gain circa 40-42 volume. Do not notice massive differences in volume across the three gain settings though; may have something to do with the LID tech in the IEMs.

I've just been using UAPP. Still need to compare to the built-in HiBy Music. Has anyone compared these two in terms of sound quality?

There won't be and cannot be any difference, if no EQ, MSEB etc is enabled. Hiby app plays natively, and so does UAPP.

I have the UAPP, but eventhough I’ve selected the bit perfect mode on, somehow my hi res files are being downsampled to 44k (the 44.k appears on the top right screen). Sound quality does take a hit, feels more compressed (I was comparing 358k in Hiby app vs 44k in UAPP, and DSD512 in Hiby app vs 44k in UAPP).

I have posted some screenshots also before and just tried it again now with 88.2 and 96kHz files and it is shown correctly on the top right. I didn't change anything after installing UAPP. For DSD native playing, you may have to select the "Native DSD for Hiby..." option.

Screenshot_20201012-150350.png
Screenshot_20201012-150312.png

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #1,472 of 3,161
I got my R8 delivered yesterday courtesy of Andrew from Musicteck, impeccable service as usual and an early delivery as well. Even though I've seen the pictures of the case etc, I was still surprised by the size of the box! It's quite a statement of presentation to say the least. The player itself is lovely and weighty, it just looks like pure class.

I'm currently running it in with the Mest and a silver/palldium cable. Even though the R8 adds a slight bit of body and richness to the monitors, which sounds fantastic, it still has a sharpness about it with sibilant vocals in some songs which is annoying. I'm putting that down to the fact that the Mest coupled with the cable are giving it that sharp edge. I have the Penon Volt which is supposed to be smoother coming with a silver plated graphene/copper cable, so we'll see how that sounds soon.

The MSEB feature is interesting, I did try taking the HF Sibilance down a few notches which slightly helped. I also added some deep bass which sounded good and actually worked without muddying the sound.

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #1,473 of 3,161
Congrats @vilhelm44 :)

I really didn't find any instance of sibilance with any item in my collection... weird but maybe that's a synergy issue, or wait till the unit is burned in :)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,474 of 3,161
Congrats @vilhelm44 :)

I really didn't find any instance of sibilance with any item in my collection... weird but maybe that's a synergy issue, or wait till the unit is burned in :)
I have noticed a little sharpness with the unit, but more when I first received the unit. After some hours it decreased. Someone else on the this thread mentioned this, but also said it decreased with time. I have the ODIN which has a bit of forwardness in the upper mids and I have found that lower volumes as well as more seasoning time has really helped.

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #1,476 of 3,161
I have noticed a little sharpness with the unit, but more when I first received the unit. After some hours it decreased. Someone else on the this thread mentioned this, but also said it decreased with time. I have the ODIN which has a bit of forwardness in the upper mids and I have found that lower volumes as well as more seasoning time has really helped.

That's good to hear, those components need time to settle in.

Oct 13, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,477 of 3,161
Quick question to those who experience sharpness, what's the gain mode you're using and do you use Turbo?

Oct 13, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #1,479 of 3,161
Oct 13, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #1,480 of 3,161
That's good to hear, those components need time to settle in.

That’s true. Using Z1R to burn it in, I also found that in the beginning the sound is bright and sibilant. I did use the MSEB to tone down the sibilance. However, after more than 100 hrs, the sibilance is gone and Z1R sounds very natural with no harshness. I use low gain with turbo on though. Like David said, the higher the gain, the sound be more forward and will open up more. The same goes for turbo mode (which increase dynamic range as well).

One thing to note though, now my M5 doesn’t sound that good after R8 is burned in. Mids sound grainy, especially vocals. It seems the synergy is just not there (maybe it has to do with impedance and sensitivity). But it does have excellent energy with Z1R (4.4mm, low gain, turbo on), Fusion (4.4mm, high gain, turbo on) and Erlky (3.5mm, high gain, turbo off).

Oct 13, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #1,481 of 3,161
double post

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #1,482 of 3,161
I really didn't notice any graininess with any IEMs but again I have been using low gain across the board with turbo on, even SR2 didn't medium gain... didn't find turbo to make things more forward or increase volume but rather improve soundstage and dynamic range mainly.

Medium gain can be interesting to bring things forward a bit when needed and high gain is a bit agressive with my IEMs so I don't use it.

Now I am around 300 hours so there is that as well but I don't remember a time when the R8 was agressive.
Keep in mind I listen at lower volumes this comes into play as well, I have noticed in many meetups.

I run the R8 low gain and turbo between 30 and 55 at most, most around 40/45.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #1,483 of 3,161
That’s true. Using Z1R to burn it in, I also found that in the beginning the sound is bright and sibilant. I did use the MSEB to tone down the sibilance. However, after more than 100 hrs, the sibilance is gone and Z1R sounds very natural with no harshness. I use low gain with turbo on though. Like David said, the higher the gain, the sound be more forward and will open up more. The same goes for turbo mode (which increase dynamic range as well).

One thing to note though, now my M5 doesn’t sound that good after R8 is burned in. Mids sound grainy, especially vocals. It seems the synergy is just not there (maybe it has to do with impedance and sensitivity). But it does have excellent energy with Z1R (4.4mm, low gain, turbo on), Fusion (4.4mm, high gain, turbo on) and Erlky (3.5mm, high gain, turbo off).

It constantly amazes me with regards to synergy and how certains parts of the audio chain don't lay well together. I was using the Mest with a silver cable which probably didn't help, I'm going to experiment with that. My ears have been off as well this year and now more aware of sibilance in music, which doesn't help.

Oct 13, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #1,484 of 3,161
I really didn't notice any graininess with any IEMs but again I have been using low gain across the board with turbo on, even SR2 didn't medium gain... didn't find turbo to make things more forward or increase volume but rather improve soundstage and dynamic range mainly.

Medium gain can be interesting to bring things forward a bit when needed and high gain is a bit agressive with my IEMs so I don't use it.

Now I am around 300 hours so there is that as well but I don't remember a time when the R8 was agressive.
Keep in mind I listen at lower volumes this comes into play as well, I have noticed in many meetups.

I run the R8 low gain and turbo between 30 and 55 at most, most around 40/45.

That is exactly my volume range on low gain. I can not imagine people playing music louder that that personally. Maybe that is why my 50 year old ears still have good hearing.

Oct 13, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #1,485 of 3,161
I just recently got my R8 so it probably has less than 10 hours on it. Early days yet; but I will say it has a refined, almost "grown up" sound relative to its sibling the R6 Pro. I do not hear sibilance per sé but based on memory of the R6P its sound (out the box) is what I would describe as transparent, clear, or forward - depending on one's interpretation. The details are quite astonishing so that may also be contributing factor - not that they are shouty, but it can take time to get used to and for the brain to process it all.

Overall, it feels like a more mature, slightly leaner, more articulate R6 Pro - albeit with a little less warmth but bigger stage and more taut bass.

Listening thus far has been with relatively laid back IEMs, the U12t and the Nio. And granted that today in particular where I got some decent listening time in, I am operating on about 4 hours sleep so the ears are quite sensitive. Looking forward to getting to know the R8's character better with time, and the improvements noted with burn.

On that topic, any tips or suggestions on the burn in process? Do you just keep it in charge and run continuously for a days on end? Do you give it some rest time in between?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back