HiBy R8 User Impressions
Oct 9, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #1,442 of 3,161
3d a.k.a holographic, best holographic soundstage i had was with both the ier z1r, and the obravo cupids.

it's basically depth, right now i have both a plunge audio demo and the solaris SE, both excel and soundstage and imaging, both width and height, but the depth is lacking imo. sound can come from behind, from the sides, but not infront of me to create a sea of sound in my head. only thing i'm missing
You should probably demo Thummim then! That one has a crazy soundstage from all sides, feels like headphones to be honest!

Oct 9, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #1,444 of 3,161
oh i'm sure it's great there's only one minor issue..

it's 4k usd.

edit: i would get them if i could
That's the point I was making. You're going to get that 'depth' you're after from an IEM, not a source. The R8 or any dap for that matter isn't going to give you another dimension if it's not there to begin with in the IEM. Nor will the R8 (or any decently made dap) suddenly flatten your soundstage. As for true depth in an IEM - that's a tough one. Best sense of space (including depth) I've ever heard was the U12t.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #1,445 of 3,161
Has anyone got this adapter for 2.5mm to 4.4mm This One
As this is also by HiBy I am hoping that it would be perfect for the R8.

Oct 9, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #1,446 of 3,161
3d a.k.a holographic, best holographic soundstage i had was with both the ier z1r, and the obravo cupids.

it's basically depth, right now i have both a plunge audio demo and the solaris SE, both excel and soundstage and imaging, both width and height, but the depth is lacking imo. sound can come from behind, from the sides, but not infront of me to create a sea of sound in my head. only thing i'm missing

Well I have the Z1R and on E02, it feels like 2D compared to R8‘s 3D and holographic soundstage. I don’t have the Solaris and Plunge Audio so can’t comment on those.

Oct 10, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #1,448 of 3,161
I thought someone mentioned it works in UK with one of the carriers? @Nayparm ?
Yep it worked for him. Luckily my R8 which was presumed lost is supposed to come on Monday, will update here if the LTE works.

Quick question, im also getting the BX2 Plus on Monday, I know you wrote little about the pairing of these two, but how do you find the combo?

Oct 10, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #1,449 of 3,161
Yep it worked for him. Luckily my R8 which was presumed lost is supposed to come on Monday, will update here if the LTE works.

Quick question, im also getting the BX2 Plus on Monday, I know you wrote little about the pairing of these two, but how do you find the combo?
What happened to Nayparm ? Didnt he create many threads ?

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,451 of 3,161
Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #1,452 of 3,161
Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 10, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,454 of 3,161
Quick note on the upsampling "glitch" on Tidal with MQA unfolding... it does happen only when streaming, the offline synced files don't exhibit the same issue which lead me to believe that it's rather highlighted by networks delays...

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #1,455 of 3,161
Quick note on the upsampling "glitch" on Tidal with MQA unfolding... it does happen only when streaming, the offline files don't exhibit the same issue which lead me to believe that it's rather highlighted by networks delays...
You are correct...the only glitches I have seen, or heard rather are around streaming

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back