HiBy R8 User Impressions
Oct 10, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #1,456 of 3,161
I had the same glitch with tidal and offline, replacement r8 will be delivered tomorrow, will be glad to report. They tested and cleared a working sample for me.

Oct 10, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #1,457 of 3,161
Quick note on the upsampling "glitch" on Tidal with MQA unfolding... it does happen only when streaming, the offline files don't exhibit the same issue which lead me to believe that it's rather highlighted by networks delays...
I think on an earlier post you said that this unfolding issue happens about 1 in 20 times, or sometimes less. it’s annoying but I think I can live with it. There is a similar issue on the N6ii when streaming live. Again it’s not all the time.

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #1,458 of 3,161
Someone text me and said they had trouble viewing the comparison I wrote earlier. I have no issue viewing the blog, did anyone have issue?

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #1,459 of 3,161
Someone text me and said they had trouble viewing the comparison I wrote earlier. I have no issue viewing the blog, did anyone have issue?
I was able to read it fine.

The comparison between R8 and SP2000 gives me more to think about. Thanks for doing that.

Oct 11, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #1,461 of 3,161
Quick question for R8 owners - is there any way to migrate from another (HiBy) device? For example from an R6, to copy over settings, apps, etc. Or would it be better to install everything anew? @Joe Bloggs is there any native migration tool perhaps?

Also, has anyone compared the native HiBy Music app to third party apps such as UAPP, in terms of sound quality?

Oct 11, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #1,462 of 3,161
I was able to read it fine.

The comparison between R8 and SP2000 gives me more to think about. Thanks for doing that.
Sorry to possibly muddy your thought. I am just one person with an opinion, compare elsewhere as well. I really think you will be happy with either. When I was going to purchase a DAP I already had 6-7 others. I went through a phase where I preferred "featureless" DAPs focused on sound only, meaning no streaming. When I was ready to stream, I have always loved A&K, so I went straight to the top and not go down the rabbit hole of buying, selling(losing money) and buying the next one.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #1,463 of 3,161
Sorry to possibly muddy your thought. I am just one person with an opinion, compare elsewhere as well.
It is quite confusing. I guess it’s a time when I am going to spend a lot of money, be it £3,300 or £1,900, and I obviously want to try and get the best for the investment.

It’s unfortunate that I am not able to audition them first and so I need to go from reviews and impressions. I’m just trying to get as many peoples thoughts as I can, which I’m hoping will show a fuller picture.

Oct 11, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #1,464 of 3,161
It is quite confusing. I guess it’s a time when I am going to spend a lot of money, be it £3,300 or £1,900, and I obviously want to try and get the best for the investment.

It’s unfortunate that I am not able to audition them first and so I need to go from reviews and impressions. I’m just trying to get as many peoples thoughts as I can, which I’m hoping will show a fuller picture.
Sorry I edited my post above and you had already replied. If I was spending your money, I would go for the R8. Please re-read my above post. If you are okay spending the money, then go for the SP2K, but it is a much larger purchase. I blind purchased the SP2000 and the R8.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #1,465 of 3,161
So far, I have listened to half my IEMs with the R8. The R8 definitely made the Empire Ears Legend X and phantom sound great! @twister6 is definitely correct about turbo mode on legend X. It never sounded as good with my other two daps.

Oct 11, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #1,466 of 3,161
So far, I have listened to half my IEMs with the R8. The R8 definitely made the Empire Ears Legend X and phantom sound great! @twister6 is definitely correct about turbo mode on legend X. It never sounded as good with my other two daps.

True, that bit about the Phantom is important, as @twister6 said R8 pair well with warmer or darker IEMs as well... I was able to check this with StealthSonics C9 Pro, great pairing as well.

I have been through my entire collection of IEMs and couldn't find a "bad" pairing.

I keep turbo mode on at all times with all of them, I think it makes sense for multi BA IEMs even low impedance and high sensitivity that don't need much power because those on the other hand need plenty of current. Not sure if there is an official number on output current like iBasso publishes, was 2500mA for AMP8 but I am betting R8 does provide at least he same as AMP8. Some people say 5.9V RMS is not that impressive for the R8 (as in around the power of something like SE200) but I think it's not the whole story.

Ah and I recently got myself a headphone... iBasso SR2, sensitive and low impedance headphone (24ohm, 108dB) also a superb pairing!

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #1,467 of 3,161
I still need to try out Turbo mode. Have thus far tested my three 64 Audio IEMs, settled on medium gain circa 40-42 volume. Do not notice massive differences in volume across the three gain settings though; may have something to do with the LID tech in the IEMs.

I've just been using UAPP. Still need to compare to the built-in HiBy Music. Has anyone compared these two in terms of sound quality?

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #1,468 of 3,161
I still need to try out Turbo mode. Have thus far tested my three 64 Audio IEMs, settled on medium gain circa 40-42 volume. Do not notice massive differences in volume across the three gain settings though; may have something to do with the LID tech in the IEMs.

I've just been using UAPP. Still need to compare to the built-in HiBy Music. Has anyone compared these two in terms of sound quality?

I have the UAPP, but eventhough I’ve selected the bit perfect mode on, somehow my hi res files are being downsampled to 44k (the 44.k appears on the top right screen). Sound quality does take a hit, feels more compressed (I was comparing 358k in Hiby app vs 44k in UAPP, and DSD512 in Hiby app vs 44k in UAPP).

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #1,469 of 3,161
I have the UAPP, but eventhough I’ve selected the bit perfect mode on, somehow my hi res files are being downsampled to 44k (the 44.k appears on the top right screen). Sound quality does take a hit, feels more compressed (I was comparing 358k in Hiby app vs 44k in UAPP, and DSD512 in Hiby app vs 44k in UAPP).

I remember going through all the settings screens of UAPP. There were a few related to sampling settings where I needed to change from the default ("native" which is the fixed Android rate @ 44kHz or 48kHz) to "variable", IIRC.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #1,470 of 3,161
I remember going through all the settings screens of UAPP. There were a few related to sampling settings where I needed to change from the default ("native" which is the fixed Android rate @ 44kHz or 48kHz) to "variable", IIRC.
Yes you need to enable hi-res (direct) mode in UAPP, as long as UAPP has added native hi-res DAC support for the R8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back