HiBy R8 User Impressions
Oct 13, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #1,486 of 3,161
While I am here, having a blast right now with R8 and iBasso SR2 on this album the drums are insane good :heartbeat:

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 22.32.15.jpeg

Honestly the bass coming out of the SR2 driven by R8 are just superb and I feel like I have the authority of an amp (granted, SR2 is easy to drive at 24ohm and 108dB sensitivity)

I just recently got my R8 so it probably has less than 10 hours on it. Early days yet; but I will say it has a refined, almost "grown up" sound relative to its sibling the R6 Pro. I do not hear sibilance per sé but based on memory of the R6P its sound (out the box) is what I would describe as transparent, clear, or forward - depending on one's interpretation.

If your point of reference is R6 Pro then it's natural that you feel that way about R8, most people coming from DX220 Max or SP2000 would say exactly the opposite and R8 would sound to them like R6 Pro to you (exagerating a bit but.... not too far off)

The details are quite astonishing so that may also be contributing factor - not that they are shouty, but it can take time to get used to and for the brain to process it all. Overall, it does feel like a more mature, slightly leaner, more articulate R6 Pro - albeit with a little less warmth but bigger stage and more taut bass.

Yes the R8 provide lots of details but in a smooth manner IMHO and I agree it's a much more mature tuning but also another performance level from R6 Pro. They kept the overall smooth an organic philosophy but with much higher resolution, better separation and dynamic range.

On that topic, any tips or suggestions on the burn in process? Do you just keep it in charge and run continuously for a days on end? Do you give it some rest time in between? Also, I assume that to run in all the components (DAC circuitry, amp, etc.) it is best to play music through ear/headphones, connected to the jack you intend to use going forward?

I kept it running 24/7 (that's when I was not playing it) on charger, running Tara Labs Cascade CD rip.

I listened to it wherever I felt like it which was a lot even early days just put in to burn in wherever I wasn't listening to it.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #1,487 of 3,161
It constantly amazes me with regards to synergy and how certains parts of the audio chain don't lay well together. I was using the Mest with a silver cable which probably didn't help, I'm going to experiment with that. My ears have been off as well this year and now more aware of sibilance in music, which doesn't help.

Just wait until at least 100 hrs. It will definitely evolve. I read that the elna silmic caps need around 100 hours to fully burn in. And I'm very sensitive to sibilance, so don't worry just yet :relaxed:

Oct 13, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #1,488 of 3,161
I run the R8 low gain and turbo between 30 and 55 at most, most around 40/45.

My volume setting depends on the IEM used. Z1R with low gain turbo on is 50-60, Fusion high gain turbo on is 40-50, Erlky high gain turbo off 40-45. With DSD files can be higher.

Oct 14, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #1,490 of 3,161
I run the R8 low gain and turbo between 30 and 55 at most, most around 40/45.

I am hovering around 40-45 low gain. Haven’t experimented much with turbo. As long as the IEM has sufficient bass I really enjoy those volumes, as it’s easier on the ears and the mind to visualize the sonic landscape.

On that note, that’s one thing I’m finding the R8 does very well - bass at low volumes. It’s there and it’s tight and it’s textured. The R6P also did this well but feel the R8 kicks it up a notch. And both are better to my ears than many DAPs (and desktop setups) which often required a certain minimum volume before the bass “kicked in”.

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #1,491 of 3,161
Possibly a silly question here - does it need a load for proper burn in? That is, does it need headphones attached...I assume so, in order to activate the amp circuitry.

Yes it does... I use the iBasso burn in cable I kept from a former DAP but any headphone will do (only downside it will be noisy :p)

IBasso DX220 Review | Page 2 Of 5 | Headfonics Audio Reviews 2020-10-14 08-42-11.png

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #1,492 of 3,161
Quick question for R8 owners - is there any way to migrate from another (HiBy) device? For example from an R6, to copy over settings, apps, etc. Or would it be better to install everything anew? @Joe Bloggs is there any native migration tool perhaps?

Also, has anyone compared the native HiBy Music app to third party apps such as UAPP, in terms of sound quality?
If this is still a thing...
This is the usual guide to android migration, but I'm not sure if it applies to the R8, mostly because I don't know if it comes with the "Start" setup sequence:
https://support.google.com/android/answer/6193424

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 14, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #1,493 of 3,161
If this is still a thing...
This is the usual guide to android migration, but I'm not sure if it applies to the R8, mostly because I don't know if it comes with the "Start" setup sequence:
https://support.google.com/android/answer/6193424

Thanks so much. I ended up not needing it - I signed into my Google account, went to the store, and download all the apps I previously purchased / downloaded. Do not feel a need to migrate much else. I replicated my UAPP settings by going screen by screen with my R6 Pro.

Also, given the different OS, screen size / resolution etc, I think it would be better to start clean with my layout using Nova Launcher.

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #1,494 of 3,161
Possibly a silly question here - does it need a load for proper burn in? That is, does it need headphones attached...I assume so, in order to activate the amp circuitry.

That’s what I always do, this time I use Z1R. Somehow I find it’s easier to detect sound changes using Z1R (e.g. the sibilance issue I had at the beginning).

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #1,496 of 3,161
Quick question - is it normal for the R8 to get warm during charging and with extended use (6+ hours, notably now during burn-in)?
Yes

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #1,497 of 3,161
Finally, after a month and a half of waiting, and my package being lost twice, I have received the Hiby R8 LTE today, and yep the 4G works :D I bought the Romi Audio BX2 Plus also and both arrived together!

I only use Luna+Socrates for IEM and Denon D9200 for closed-back headphones nowadays after selling off most stuff.

First impression right off the bat, Luna+R8 = Wow! This is very very close to my endgame pairing to be honest! I dont see myself buying more iems in the near future. Socrates with Luna gave me a lot of smiles and putting R8 in the chain just completes it! I cant fault anything!

D9200+ R8 + Turbo on = This pairing sounds amazing too, just scales so damn good, D9200 is very open for a closed-back headphones and has tons of clarity, bass is full and mids clear and forward, but not too forward!

D9200 + R8 + BX2 Plus = This pairing immediately bought smile to my face! What was already a great pairing with R8, BX2 just takes the the soundstage and enhances it. It does not color the sound in any way but boy, the soundstage is damn good with this that I might only use D9200+R8+BX2 together now!

Extremely stoke with these recent purchases, I can finally say I am very content with what I have right now, and might just get the Diana V2 at the end of the year to complete the circle but who knows I might not!

20201015_145222.jpg20201015_131225.jpg20201015_131550.jpg20201015_145042.jpg20201015_145248.jpg

Attachments

• 20201015_145222.jpg
    20201015_145222.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 15, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #1,498 of 3,161
Finally, after a month and a half of waiting, and my package being lost twice, I have received the Hiby R8 LTE today, and yep the 4G works :D I bought the Romi Audio BX2 Plus also and both arrived together!

I only use Luna+Socrates for IEM and Denon D9200 for closed-back headphones nowadays after selling off most stuff.

First impression right off the bat, Luna+R8 = Wow! This is very very close to my endgame pairing to be honest! I dont see myself buying more iems in the near future. Socrates with Luna gave me a lot of smiles and putting R8 in the chain just completes it! I cant fault anything!

D9200+ R8 + Turbo on = This pairing sounds amazing too, just scales so damn good, D9200 is very open for a closed-back headphones and has tons of clarity, bass is full and mids clear and forward, but not too forward!

D9200 + R8 + BX2 Plus = This pairing immediately bought smile to my face! What was already a great pairing with R8, BX2 just takes the the soundstage and enhances it. It does not color the sound in any way but boy, the soundstage is damn good with this that I might only use D9200+R8+BX2 together now!

Extremely stoke with these recent purchases, I can finally say I am very content with what I have right now, and might just get the Diana V2 at the end of the year to complete the circle but who knows I might not!

20201015_145222.jpg20201015_131225.jpg20201015_131550.jpg20201015_145042.jpg20201015_145248.jpg

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #1,499 of 3,161

Excellent, congrats! You have a real portable streaming DAP now. :) I am not very mobile at the moment but BX2 is also on my list when I start travelling again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back