HiBy R8 User Impressions
Sep 18, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #1,096 of 3,161
Except the volume control and the lack of some buttons, physically an exact copy of M15.
The other way round I think as it's the same style as the Shanling M6 which came out before the Fiio M15 :D
I wonder how long I can resist upgrading to a new DAP from the FiiO M15?

If it wasn't for FiiO getting stuck on Android 7 on the M15 I'd probably stretch out upgrading for many years.

The M15 does an awesome job with the audio, and even the Android operation of Audio and Google apps is "fine", and all the functionality I need is there today as long as I only need the functions currently in "Android Mode".

But, if a new DAP with the latest Android and higher hardware performance can provide better interoperability between Android allowing the builders to get rid of the current "need" for dedicated "Mode's" - USB DAC Mode, BT Receiving Mode, Pure Music Mode, I'd carefully consider upgrading.

I'm watching both the R8 and M8, maybe it will take some time to iron out the software edges and provide what I am looking for.

Maybe FiiO will release what I need soon enough... @FiiO ?

So, has the R8 the same modal setup isolating - walling off operations from Android / apps?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,099 of 3,161
Found them, bonkers how close they are, and sorry completely off topic 😂

IMG_20200127_172002.jpgIMG_20200127_172058.jpgIMG_20200127_172128.jpgIMG_20200127_172149.jpgIMG_20200127_172217.jpgIMG_20200127_172236.jpgIMG_20200127_172257.jpg

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #1,100 of 3,161
I wonder how long I can resist upgrading to a new DAP from the FiiO M15?

If it wasn't for FiiO getting stuck on Android 7 on the M15 I'd probably stretch out upgrading for many years.

The M15 does an awesome job with the audio, and even the Android operation of Audio and Google apps is "fine", and all the functionality I need is there today as long as I only need the functions currently in "Android Mode".

But, if a new DAP with the latest Android and higher hardware performance can provide better interoperability between Android allowing the builders to get rid of the current "need" for dedicated "Mode's" - USB DAC Mode, BT Receiving Mode, Pure Music Mode, I'd carefully consider upgrading.

I'm watching both the R8 and M8, maybe it will take some time to iron out the software edges and provide what I am looking for.

Maybe FiiO will release what I need soon enough... @FiiO ?

So, has the R8 the same modal setup isolating - walling off operations from Android / apps?
Found them, bonkers how close they are, and sorry completely off topic 😂
I realize it's probably a bit early for you to draw conclusions in comparison between the R8 / M15, but has the R8 the same modal setup isolating / walling off operations from Android apps that the M15 has?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #1,101 of 3,161
I realize it's probably a bit early for you to draw conclusions in comparison between the R8 / M15, but has the R8 the same modal setup isolating / walling off operations from Android apps that the M15 has?

Do you mean like the Fiio Music player mode which I think just sets Fiio Music as the android launcher doesn't it? I froze that app straight after trying it so never really used it after realising it wasn't like a mango mode from ibasso, only Neutron for me 😂

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #1,102 of 3,161
Do you mean like the Fiio Music player mode which I think just sets Fiio Music as the android launcher doesn't it? I froze that app straight after trying it so never really used it after realising it wasn't like a mango mode from ibasso, only Neutron for me 😂
I never got to use the Neutron properly! Paid it for like 2 years back but hardly ever used it for the UI. That takes a while to get used to. I'll give it a shot with R8!

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #1,103 of 3,161
Do you mean like the Fiio Music player mode which I think just sets Fiio Music as the android launcher doesn't it? I froze that app straight after trying it so never really used it after realizing it wasn't like a mango mode from ibasso, only Neutron for me 😂
You would need to use modes on the M15 / M11 Pro / M11 like the USB DAC mode to connect the M15 via USB to your PC / Mac / Phone / Tablet to see the lockdown from other Android features.

Once you enter USB DAC mode all you see is fixed screen with a few audio settings available, some view of the Status bar, but your Android network / BT / apps are all closed - you lose state of your Android environment. BT Receive mode / Pure Music Mode are also similarly limiting in access to other apps and you lose the Android Mode state, apps closed.

I can't take a screen shot of the screen in those modes as Android isn't there to accept the button presses, but here's a view of the M15 in USB DAC mode:
FiiO M15 DAC Mode Connected to Samsung S20 Ultra playing Bob Dylan.jpg
When I go back to Android mode all my apps are closed and Wifi / BT connections are gone.

In Pure Music mode you have some access to network DLNA but other apps are closed and state lost.

You don't set these Modes as startup in place of the Android Launcher, you enter those modes through the Android quick settings or settings menu - I've bound USB DAC Mode to a button on the M15 button row on the left side, because I go into USB DAC mode so often.

Here's a quick example tutorial for using the M15 in USB DAC mode connected to a Windows PC:

How to use the FiiO M15 as USB DAC on the Windows computer

I'm wondering how the R8 Android GUI is set up in comparison to the FiiO M15 / M11 Pro / M11 modal UI, or perhaps the R8 doesn't have such modal features?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #1,105 of 3,161
You would need to use modes on the M15 / M11 Pro / M11 like the USB DAC mode - connect the M15 via USB to your PC / Mac / Phone / Tablet to see the lockdown from other Android features.

Once you enter USB DAC mode all you see is fixed screen with a few audio settings available, some view of the Status bar, but your Android network / BT / apps are all closed - you lose state of your Android environment. BT Receive mode / Pure Music Mode are also similarly limiting in access to other apps and you lose the Android Mode state, apps closed.

I can't take a screen shot of the screen in those modes as Android isn't there to accept the button presses, but here's a view of the M15 in USB DAC mode:
FiiO M15 DAC Mode Connected to Samsung S20 Ultra playing Bob Dylan.jpg
When I go back to Android mode all my apps are closed and Wifi / BT connections are gone.

In Pure Music mode you have some access to network DLNA but other apps are closed and state lost.

You don't set these Modes as startup in place of the Android Launcher, you enter those modes through the Android quick settings or settings menu - I've bound USB DAC Mode to a button on the M15 button row on the left side, because I go into USB DAC mode so often.

I'm wondering how the R8 Android GUI is set up in comparison to the FiiO M15 / M11 Pro / M11 modal UI, or perhaps the R8 doesn't have such modal features?

Gotcha @DarginMahkum will be best placed to answer USB-DAC functionality as I never use it on any daps.

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #1,106 of 3,161
Any chance your card is fake? You can put it back in you computer and see if you can play all the tracks you've copied to it (well, a random sample anyway). Very sluggish performance is one of the 'normal' signs of a fake SD card, which are quite prevalent unfortunately. If you didn't pay at least $200 for the card (more like 250 - 275) it's very likely to be fake.
FWIW, my Samsung 512gb card that has worked fine in multiple devices - computers, DAPs, phones - was speedy when updating the database on the HibyMusic app (30,000 tracks in under 15 mins) but worryingly slow on UAPP - almost an hour scanning that same card!

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #1,107 of 3,161
As @twister6 knows, I have been looking for a new DAP for over a year. Never found one that ticked all the boxes. When I had the money, it went to new IEMs I wanted. Once I got all the IEMs I wanted, it came down to the DAP. Now that the Hiby R8 was released, it floated to the top of my list along with the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. The Hiby was the logical choice for me after Alex's review. Now I am at a loss as to what to read on Head-Fi since Daps are no longer on my radar, LOL.

Thank you to everyone that answered my questions about various daps, especially @twister6 for his time.

Postpartum depression. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postpartum_depression Most writers/artists/inventors go through it post the launch of their babies that had kept them preoccupied 24x7 for months/years. Quite normal.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #1,108 of 3,161
@hmscott, this is unfortunately the case for all DAPs I have seen so far. R8 only has the additional possibility to adjust the MSEB / audio settings but that is all. It is possibly because the DAC / audio infrastructure is a shared resource by the system and USB / BT input, it is just safer to make it accessable in a mutually exclusive manner.

Screenshot_20200918-214722.png
Screenshot_20200918-214757.png

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #1,109 of 3,161
Gotcha @DarginMahkum will be best placed to answer USB-DAC functionality as I never use it on any daps.

On reading people using DAPs as external DACs on desktop, I am curious, what league of desktop DAC/amps could a new-age high-end DAP like R8 or Cayin N8 in USB DAC mode be compared with in price/performance terms? Say an R8 is possibly like a well-reviewed $1000 desktop DAC/amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back