HiBy R8 User Impressions
Sep 17, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #1,066 of 3,161
SS version looks and feels very nice although I would have preferred stainless steel natural colour. Comes with the Dignis case. Weight in the hand feels similar to a WM1Z.

Not had chance to put a sim in yet.

IMG_20200917_195759.jpgIMG_20200917_195822.jpgIMG_20200917_195848.jpgIMG_20200917_195900.jpgIMG_20200917_195936.jpg

Sep 17, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #1,067 of 3,161
So I’m the fella who asked the infamous question of comparing the DX160 to the flagship R8. And no matter how many reviews or opinions I could theoretically read, I realized I needed to try it myself to determine whether it was “worth” it. The most immediate difference I have noticed from a purely SQ standpoint (UI/speed/power are all unparalleled from the R8) is the much more vast, black background it sets. Although the DX160 is comparable from a left to right soundstage, it took me a bit to “understand” what I was listening to from the R8 in terms of soundstage depth.

(Keep in mind, I have no prior experience with TOTL DAPs in the same range such as the MAX 220, SE200, etc., so I cannot contribute much there.) But in my A/B with DX160, the dynamics from the R8 were further extended and the sound came across as more holographic, especially in Turbo mode.

That being said, I did not find the R8 to make me want to pull an Andy from Toy Story and drop my DX160 in the trash for my new toy. DX160 felt to me as a slightly more “fun” and “engaging” listening. Although the soundstage is not small by any means, its’ less technical staging brought the mids more forward which made it easier to get sucked into the music. Notes also felt a bit more “wet” albeit not as extended or detailed.

Both are very neutral DAPs to my ears, with the R8 actually coming across a bit on the bright side-which I particularly noticed with the Elysium. With the R8/Elysium (lack-of) synergy, some notes come off as shrill or piercing, especially trumpets in jazz or high-pitched female vocals. Whereas for the LX, the R8 was a fantastic combo. It changed the LX into slightly more of a W-signature with ridiculous holographic staging, while maintaining those intoxicating bass cannons. The LX sounds great off pretty much any source, but the R8 helped demonstrate that it does scale with more technical DACs. The MSEB is also a fun, "EQ"-noob-friendly feature that allowed me to “brighten” up the LX slightly and add some extra airiness. Thanks @Shecky504 for the suggestion to up the air setting 10 to 15 clicks.

As for the A18s, I am still getting used to its’ incredibly technical neutral signature (while leaning quite warm). With the R8, I am picking up on additional nuances/details and noticing how incredibly extended the A18s is in both the lows and highs. Double-bass in metal sounds incredible and natural for BAs, and although the treble is laid-back, it stretches far and is highly detailed. For reference, I am pairing it with the Socrates cable and do look forward to trying a high quality SPC to see the synergy there.

Being new to the TOTL world, I guess I am further learning that there is usually a form of musical tradeoff as technicalities are increased. I mostly prefer to be in the front row jamming with the guitarist and lead singer rather than in the middle of crowd getting lost in an aura of floating notes (although sometimes this is the pleasant type of listen that I can be in the mood for). But in terms of covering my bases, I can happily say that the two DAPs complement one another. R8 for a bit more of a critical/laid-back listen, and the DX160 for when my dopamine receptors need some additional stimulation while still offering excellent detail. Plus, I do not plan on bringing the R8 around in my pocket as a daily DAP as I do with the DX160 😊.

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #1,069 of 3,161
So I’m the fella who asked the infamous question of comparing the DX160 to the flagship R8. And no matter how many reviews or opinions I could theoretically read, I realized I needed to try it myself to determine whether it was “worth” it. The most immediate difference I have noticed from a purely SQ standpoint (UI/speed/power are all unparalleled from the R8) is the much more vast, black background it sets. Although the DX160 is comparable from a left to right soundstage, it took me a bit to “understand” what I was listening to from the R8 in terms of soundstage depth.

(Keep in mind, I have no prior experience with TOTL DAPs in the same range such as the MAX 220, SE200, etc., so I cannot contribute much there.) But in my A/B with DX160, the dynamics from the R8 were further extended and the sound came across as more holographic, especially in Turbo mode.

That being said, I did not find the R8 to make me want to pull an Andy from Toy Story and drop my DX160 in the trash for my new toy. DX160 felt to me as a slightly more “fun” and “engaging” listening. Although the soundstage is not small by any means, its’ less technical staging brought the mids more forward which made it easier to get sucked into the music. Notes also felt a bit more “wet” albeit not as extended or detailed.

Both are very neutral DAPs to my ears, with the R8 actually coming across a bit on the bright side-which I particularly noticed with the Elysium. With the R8/Elysium (lack-of) synergy, some notes come off as shrill or piercing, especially trumpets in jazz or high-pitched female vocals. Whereas for the LX, the R8 was a fantastic combo. It changed the LX into slightly more of a W-signature with ridiculous holographic staging, while maintaining those intoxicating bass cannons. The LX sounds great off pretty much any source, but the R8 helped demonstrate that it does scale with more technical DACs. The MSEB is also a fun, "EQ"-noob-friendly feature that allowed me to “brighten” up the LX slightly and add some extra airiness. Thanks @Shecky504 for the suggestion to up the air setting 10 to 15 clicks.

As for the A18s, I am still getting used to its’ incredibly technical neutral signature (while leaning quite warm). With the R8, I am picking up on additional nuances/details and noticing how incredibly extended the A18s is in both the lows and highs. Double-bass in metal sounds incredible and natural for BAs, and although the treble is laid-back, it stretches far and is highly detailed. For reference, I am pairing it with the Socrates cable and do look forward to trying a high quality SPC to see the synergy there.

Being new to the TOTL world, I guess I am further learning that there is usually a form of musical tradeoff as technicalities are increased. I mostly prefer to be in the front row jamming with the guitarist and lead singer rather than in the middle of crowd getting lost in an aura of floating notes (although sometimes this is the pleasant type of listen that I can be in the mood for). But in terms of covering my bases, I can happily say that the two DAPs complement one another. R8 for a bit more of a critical/laid-back listen, and the DX160 for when my dopamine receptors need some additional stimulation while still offering excellent detail. Plus, I do not plan on bringing the R8 around in my pocket as a daily DAP as I do with the DX160 😊.

Have you tried playing around with the DAC filters? (Slow roll off, etc.) I haven’t got my R8 yet, but with my N6ii E02, I do notice a difference when switching between different filters. For example, when listening Z1R, the slow roll-off linear phase filter is the most suitable as it brings the lower mids more forward and tames the treble, whereas fast-roll off makes the sound thinner and treble brighter. Perhaps different DAP will have different implementation and that could affect the effectiveness of the filters but I think there’s no harm in trying them out.

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #1,070 of 3,161
Have you tried playing around with the DAC filters? (Slow roll off, etc.) I haven’t got my R8 yet, but with my N6ii E02, I do notice a difference when switching between different filters. For example, when listening Z1R, the slow roll-off linear phase filter is the most suitable as it brings the lower mids more forward and tames the treble, whereas fast-roll off makes the sound thinner and treble brighter. Perhaps different DAP will have different implementation and that could affect the effectiveness of the filters but I think there’s no harm in trying them out.
I have not actually. Messed around with the MSEB which have noticeable effects but appreciate the suggestion! I’ll look into it-think I saw a convenient chart before that broke down the effects of each filter but I need to track that down again.

Edit: let me know how you feel it pairs with your Ely once you get the R8

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #1,071 of 3,161
Ugh! My Friday delivery estimate is now Monday, just because I redirected it to an UPS access point less than 6 miles from my house. This was changed before the package even made it to the shipping location check-in point.

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #1,073 of 3,161
Edit: let me know how you feel it pairs with your Ely once you get the R8

Sure, I imagine I‘d need to use MSEB to tame the sibilance :relaxed:

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #1,075 of 3,161
Ugh! My Friday delivery estimate is now Monday, just because I redirected it to an UPS access point less than 6 miles from my house. This was changed before the package even made it to the shipping location check-in point.
I just lived this...so inefficient. They have to take back to terminal to re-deliver it. I had them hold it at a UPS drop point they were already slated to deliver it to. It wasn't clear so I check deliver to the access point, which they were already delivering to, but that change caused one day delay.

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #1,076 of 3,161
I just lived this...so inefficient. They have to take back to terminal to re-deliver it. I had them hold it at a UPS drop point they were already slated to deliver it to. It wasn't clear so I check deliver to the access point, which they were already delivering to, but that change caused one day delay.

In my case they don’t even need to redeliver it since it hadn’t even left the pickup point when I changed it.

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #1,077 of 3,161
In my case they don’t even need to redeliver it since it hadn’t even left the pickup point when I changed it.
mine either...they were slated to deliver to that location and I just validated it

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #1,079 of 3,161

Users who are viewing this thread

Back