HiBy R8 User Impressions
Sep 19, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #1,112 of 3,161
On reading people using DAPs as external DACs on desktop, I am curious, what league of desktop DAC/amps could a new-age high-end DAP like R8 or Cayin N8 in USB DAC mode be compared with in price/performance terms? Say an R8 is possibly like a well-reviewed $1000 desktop DAC/amp?

I don't think it would reach that level, being so cramped in a little package with a very small board area for both analogue and digital sections, wireless connection, display etc. If I would be stationary at a desk and would need something to drive from IEMs to hard to drive HPs, I would go with an RME product. I always trust the no BS pro level equipment and RME ADI-2 should be able to drive properly anything from a 7 ohm U18t to HEDDphone with close to non-existant noise, and that is for the half the price of R8.

Sep 19, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #1,113 of 3,161
On reading people using DAPs as external DACs on desktop, I am curious, what league of desktop DAC/amps could a new-age high-end DAP like R8 or Cayin N8 in USB DAC mode be compared with in price/performance terms? Say an R8 is possibly like a well-reviewed $1000 desktop DAC/amp?
I don't think it would reach that level, being so cramped in a little package with a very small board area for both analogue and digital sections, wireless connection, display etc. If I would be stationary at a desk and would need something to drive from IEMs to hard to drive HPs, I would go with an RME product. I always trust the no BS pro level equipment and RME ADI-2 should be able to drive properly anything from a 7 ohm U18t to HEDDphone with close to non-existant noise, and that is for the half the price of R8.
Actually, the M15 does a pretty good job sitting in it's desktop DK-1 dock stand connected via USB to Windows 10 - the only drawback is that it gets hot even with good air flow - as you noted the volume of a DAP is so small, but I actually enjoyed listening to the M15 in USB DAC mode for a few months that way - and still switch over from time to time - but I prefer the full MQA unfolding of the D90 MQA and power of the A90 overall to the M15 in USB DAC mode for long term usage. I consider the M15 a nice backup to put into the desktop role when needed, like when traveling - mobile - or at work.

At least for the M15 with "Over the Ear Headphone" mode that extra kick does add nice slam for some recordings that the A90 is a bit clinical in comparison.

Does the R8 have a similar high current mode to the FiiO "Over the Ear Headphone" mode? I find that I enable that on some IEM's in L Gain for a bit more slam, and of course for all "Over the Ear" headphones. :)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #1,114 of 3,161
Actually, the M15 does a pretty good job sitting in it's DK-1 dock stand connected via USB to Windows 10 - the only drawback is that it gets hot even with good air flow - as you noted the volume of a DAP is so small, but I actually enjoyed listening to the M15 in USB DAC mode for a few months that way - and still switch over from time to time - but I prefer the full MQA unfolding of the D90 MQA and power of the A90 over the M15 in USB DAC mode for long term usage. I consider the M15 a nice backup to put into the desktop role when needed, like when traveling - mobile - or at work.

At least for the M15 with "Over the Ear Headphone" mode that extra kick does add nice slam for some recordings that the A90 is a bit clinical in comparison.

Does the R8 have a similar high current mode to the FiiO "Over the Ear Headphone" mode? I find that I enable that on some IEM's in L Gain for a bit more slam, and of course for all "Over the Ear" headphones. :)

R8 over-the-ear mode is called the turbo mode.

Sep 19, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #1,115 of 3,161
I am picking up a card today to put the music on it this weekend so it is ready to go when I receive the R8 Monday. Is there any card format (exfat, fat32) the R8 prefers? Does the music need to be in a certain folder?

Thanks!

Edit: Found my answer in a Hiby R3 Pro FAQ, which stated eXFAT and FAT32 are fine. I figure the R8 would be the same.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #1,116 of 3,161
Now I am at a loss as to what to read on Head-Fi since Daps are no longer on my radar, LOL.
You can keep reading this tread, it is quite active with many nice guys :o2smile:
You may find some useful information, you can share your own findings, or you can defend your beloved product from critics. It is quite safe for the purse, when you own the R8 already. No temptation - as opposed to my case. The only exception is when some brings the bomb of other product annoucements, like the Shangling one recently. But there must be something that you have to resist, otherwise where is the fun :beerchug:

Sep 19, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #1,117 of 3,161
You can keep reading this tread, it is quite active with many nice guys :o2smile:
You may find some useful information, you can share your own findings, or you can defend your beloved product from critics. It is quite safe for the purse, when you own the R8 already. No temptation - as opposed to my case. The only exception is when some brings the bomb of other product annoucements, like the Shangling one recently. But there must be something that you have to resist, otherwise where is the fun :beerchug:

I always stay subscribed to threads of products I own, so I can return the help for someone else or even ask a question.

Sep 19, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #1,118 of 3,161
thanks. I did wait for the card to scan and it’s still very slow. Anyone else here has this with a 1TB card? Wanna see if others are experiencing this or not.
I am using a 1TB card. It has about 600gb free. It did slow slightly as Tidal downloads started filling it. But as it stands now it’s still pretty fast. It will be interesting to see what happens when it is about 3/4 filled

Sep 19, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #1,120 of 3,161
The Snapdragon 430 may be a hindrance on speed compared to the R8

Sure will, but we need more info on other aspects of audio components in the M8, the R8 does features some nice tantalum capacitors, custom OPAMP from Hiby... so it's not only the 660 advantage there IMHO.

Sep 19, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #1,121 of 3,161
Don’t know if anyone else is getting this. I’ve got the R8 on turbo, playing Tidal (including MQA tracks) through the AAW Canarys. Sounds fantastic. But the R8 gets pretty hot after about 30 mins continuous use. But also, along with that, the performance slows down and becomes pretty jerky.

Sep 19, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #1,122 of 3,161
Don’t know if anyone else is getting this. I’ve got the R8 on turbo, playing Tidal (including MQA tracks) through the AAW Canarys. Sounds fantastic. But the R8 gets pretty hot after about 30 mins continuous use. But also, along with that, the performance slows down and becomes pretty jerky.

I haven’t seen it but sounds like a thermal throttling issue. I haven’t used Tidal for long periods but I noticed it is getting warm but not hot, and I thought it is due to the upsampling of MQA files to 768 kHz. I use Qobuz and the sample rate is shown correctly, like 96 kHz etc., and it is never hot. Definitely something to report to Hiby.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,123 of 3,161

What happens when you play local tracks from Hiby Music with turbo on? Overheating as well or not? Also, I assume you are off the charger during playback? Have you installed any other apps running in the background? Either way, maybe try factory reset, just in case.

Sep 19, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #1,124 of 3,161
I am using a 1TB card. It has about 600gb free. It did slow slightly as Tidal downloads started filling it. But as it stands now it’s still pretty fast. It will be interesting to see what happens when it is about 3/4 filled

Apologies for my stupid question, but may I ask how to save Tidal downloads to the micro sd card? Thanks!

Sep 19, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #1,125 of 3,161
What happens when you play local tracks from Hiby Music with turbo on? Overheating as well or not? Also, I assume you are off the charger during playback? Have you installed any other apps running in the background? Either way, maybe try factory reset, just in case.
I don’t use Hiby Music. But I could try it. No, I wasn’t charging at the same time. I could also delete other apps I’ve installed such as Mail and Amazon. Although that defeats the object of being able to have them on the player. Worst case I guess I could try a reset, although that would mean re-downloading 9,000 Tidal tracks. But could be worth a try. Many thanks for the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back