HiBy R8 User Impressions
Feb 19, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #106 of 3,161
Any idea of release date ?

Feb 19, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #107 of 3,161
Feb 19, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #108 of 3,161
For the record I completely disagree with @jmills8 regarding the R6 Pro...
I second that disagreement :)

R6 Pro is the first DAP I've owned which can drive all my full-size cans (well except my HE-6se). UI is very responsive. Most importantly, sounds very good. Compared to my Plenue II Mk2 and Opus #2, R6 Pro sits right in the middle, tonality-wise. Might another DAP produce a bigger, more holographic, headstage? I suppose so. But, honestly, the stage produced by the R6 is quite precise and very well-defined in all three dimensions. Same with detail and micro dynamics.

To me, calling R6 Pro 'mid-fi' seems unreasonably dismissive. For example, R6 is much better than my FiiO X5iii or Opus#1 Metal. I think it's more like 'hifi vs summit-fi'. I can listen to my Utopia via R6 Pro and not be disappointed in the sound compared to that coming from my Yggy/DSHA-3F chain. Sure, the desktop system sounds better, but I don't think we're even talking 10% better.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #109 of 3,161
I second that disagreement :)

R6 Pro is the first DAP I've owned which can drive all my full-size cans (well except my HE-6se). UI is very responsive. Most importantly, sounds very good. Compared to my Plenue II Mk2 and Opus #2, R6 Pro sits right in the middle, tonality-wise. Might another DAP produce a bigger, more holographic, headstage? I suppose so. But, honestly, the stage produced by the R6 is quite precise and very well-defined in all three dimensions. Same with detail and micro dynamics.

To me, calling R6 Pro 'mid-fi' seems unreasonably dismissive. For example, R6 is much better than my FiiO X5iii or Opus#1 Metal. I think it's more like 'hifi vs summit-fi'. I can listen to my Utopia via R6 Pro and not be disappointed in the sound compared to that coming from my Yggy/DSHA-3F chain. Sure, the desktop system sounds better, but I don't think we're even talking 10% better.
Its great you are enjoying it. I bought it as well as the R6 and sold both really quick.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #110 of 3,161
Its great you are enjoying it. I bought it as well as the R6 and sold both really quick.
Yep, I've been there. Owned Empyrean for about a month, Denafrips Pontus for 2 months, Beyer T2g2 about the same. Doesn't mean they're lesser, just that I didn't prefer them.

You'd sound a bit less 'trollish' if you responded to requests like this one:
...can you expand a bit on this comment? Which DAPs in the R6 Pro price range would you say sound better?...
instead of simply throwing in stuff like:
The R6 Pro sounded below average...
You might even add a sentence saying what you thought sounded 'below average' about the R6 Pro.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #111 of 3,161
Yep, I've been there. Owned Empyrean for about a month, Denafrips Pontus for 2 months, Beyer T2g2 about the same. Doesn't mean they're lesser, just that I didn't prefer them.

You'd sound a bit less 'trollish' if you responded to requests like this one:

instead of simply throwing in stuff like:

You might even add a sentence saying what you thought sounded 'below average' about the R6 Pro.
Agree with you that if I sprinkled more audiophile words and put them into a sentence I will come off better. The R6 , R6 Pro didnt sound as I liked. Separation between instruments was not as good as the Cayin N8 , Cowon PL , AKSP1000. The R6 Pro soundstage was more narrow , depth less deep. Besides that it was ok. The Cayin N6II , Hifiman R2R also sounds better.

Feb 19, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #112 of 3,161
Strange, I like the R6 Pro as much as the N6ii.
N6ii stays on the desk, while the R6 gets to travel.

Feb 19, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #113 of 3,161
Agree with you that if I sprinkled more audiophile words and put them into a sentence I will come off better. The R6 , R6 Pro didnt sound as I liked. Separation between instruments was not as good as the Cayin N8 , Cowon PL , AKSP1000. The R6 Pro soundstage was more narrow , depth less deep. Besides that it was ok. The Cayin N6II , Hifiman R2R also sounds better.
All those DAPs you mention cost many multiples more than the R6 Pro, so not really surprising. I've heard great things about the R2R2K, except I wouldn't buy one for the same money as an R6 Pro because it's good for one thing only: load music and play. Likewise the N8 - slow and clunky UI, limited streaming support, not what I'm after in a DAP.

Like I said above, if that's all you're after, cool. If the R8 is priced among the flagships I expect it to have flagship-like SQ, and if it does, it'll leave the others in the dust for features (like the R6 Pro does now, minus perhaps that last bit of musical refinement). Again, all my personal view. And speculation, of course.

Feb 21, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #114 of 3,161
I'm quite pleased with my R6 Pro and often grab it instead of the Fiio M11 Pro. Being able to simulate a tube amp with a setting can be really fun for certain guitar-centric and horn-centric tunes. I've not experienced the RFI issues some users describe.

Feb 26, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #116 of 3,161
If R8 has a nice big screen I am 100% in.

I nearly Re bought the SONY nwz507 this week but remembered its tiny screen and lack of hi res for 3rd party apps were the reasons I tossed it back.

However - I am close to admitting that hi res might be a waste of time for me because of my age and battered “music biz” hearing - but not quite there yet! I had a career of critical listening. I may still have some mojo left.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #117 of 3,161
May hold out for this one purely for the streaming. No wifi networks where I work so can't use the wifi option on my r6.

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #119 of 3,161
I think you can get data only plans. Like buy 20 MB then top it up when it runs out.

I only want to stream about 20% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back