Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #2,986 of 4,006
Ok, I'm lost here...
Can someone please chime in as to the best format for a micro sd card so that it can be used on a Mac computer and also the R6 Pro running Android?
I had to reformat my disk and now I'm having issues. Error messages that files are too large to be copied on to the format using Fat 32, and error messages that the card cannot be read at all on the Mac when using exFat... What am I missing here? Someone please help.

Many thanks in advance.
What did you format to exFAT on? Perhaps it would be better to do so on the Mac itself?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #2,987 of 4,006
Does USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO

Unwrap Tidal MQA fully on the Hiby R6 Pro?

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #2,988 of 4,006

Fully? What is the sample rate shown on the top status bar after decding by UAPP?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 30, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #2,989 of 4,006
Fully? What is the sample rate shown on the top status bar after decding by UAPP?

UAPP may support MQA on the R6 Pro. This is what HiBy told me when I asked if they would be fully supporting MQA on the R6 Pro like they do on the R5.

"Thank you for contacting us. HiBy R6 Pro is based on the Android 8.1 system, which supports MQA through Tidal application or other third-party MQA-enabled applications. It does not natively support MQA at present, but MQA capable software such as USB Audio Player may be used to decode MQA. We're still negotiating this plan with Tidal officials, and the exact conclusions and regulations has not been undetermined. Stay tuned."

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #2,990 of 4,006
Thanks

After bouncing back and forth between Qobuz, Tidal and Amazon Music HD and UAPP I think I have settled on Amazon Music HD

Amazon Music HD pros:
It seems to work great
Looks to have more hi-res albums
The scrolling lyrics are a cool feature
It works feeding my living room set up (listed below)
The search has the edge on Qobuz and Tidal
Its the cheapest

Amazon Music HD cons:
The next track buttons dont function
As music changes from one sample rate to another - its rate is not displayed on a) the top of the Hiby display (this always shows 192k) and b) my living room DAC input display (this always shows 96k)

I have come to realise that pairing with my iPhone via wifi hotspot is doable while out and about in the city (except on the underground - subway where signal is only available while the train is in the station). So streaming hi res over cellular works fine and I think my phone plan accommodates it without fear of epic bills.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #2,991 of 4,006
I use ExFAT as well with my Mac and it works perfectly. That said, I never take the card out of the R6 Pro, nor do I plug the R6 Pro into the Mac. Instead I use Solid Explorer to add my Mac as a network location and do all my file management via WiFi. Not only is this so much easier, it's also much faster! One of the benefits of having access to Play Store and solid 5GHz WiFi support in the R6 Pro. Just another 'feature' that makes this DAP perfect for my use case.

This is something that seriously has my attention... You are saying this method is faster? How does it react if you, say, need to transfer a large amount of files?
Or is it just pretty serviceable for smaller transfers? I will definitely be checking this out. Thanks for sharing this suggestion.

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #2,992 of 4,006
I use a Mac. My microSD cards are formatted as exFat. I use the Mac to copy data onto the card and then insert the card into the R6 Pro.

Not sure why you are having problems. Are you removing the microSD from the R6 Pro and using a card reader? If so it should work. I've never tried working with the microSD with the Mac while it's in the R6 Pro.

Randy
No clue what was buggering up the works with my sd card. I just re-formatted it exFat again, and everything seems to be on the up and up.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

@Joe Bloggs

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #2,993 of 4,006
Here's one thing that has been baffling me since I got this player about a year ago... and I was hoping the updates that have been made along the way would fix it or that someone would have an explanation:

First - my use case:
I'm on a Mac, and exclusively transfer files to the sd card by physically inserting it (via adapter) to the Mac directly. I have directories set up on the sd card for PCM and DSD music.
When I view the files at the folder level (on the Mac or the R6 Pro), I can always see all the files and folders I have transferred.

On the other hand... when I plug the R6 Pro into the computer via the USB-C cable, and use either Android File Transfer or a similar program (I use CommanderOne), any files I transfer to the sd card in the R6 Pro CAN NOT BE VIEWED when the sd card is then inserted into the computer.

They play fine on the device, and show up when trying to use the internal file viewer on the player itself... but on the computer, these files seem to not exist. The difference in available storage space is reflected, but the files simply do not appear in Finder.

I can confirm that all transferred files show up just fine on the computer when the R6 Pro is plugged in via USB, and viewing through CommanderOne or AFT.
I can also confirm that even after entering the command "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" in Terminal to show all hidden files, they do not show up when viewing on the sd card reader.

Can someone PLEASE help me figure out what in the world would keep files from showing up in Finder, simply because they were transferred onto the sd card via USB?
This remains an absolute mystery to me.

@Joe Bloggs @gLer

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #2,994 of 4,006
Here's one thing that has been baffling me since I got this player about a year ago... and I was hoping the updates that have been made along the way would fix it or that someone would have an explanation:

First - my use case:
I'm on a Mac, and exclusively transfer files to the sd card by physically inserting it (via adapter) to the Mac directly. I have directories set up on the sd card for PCM and DSD music.
When I view the files at the folder level (on the Mac or the R6 Pro), I can always see all the files and folders I have transferred.

On the other hand... when I plug the R6 Pro into the computer via the USB-C cable, and use either Android File Transfer or a similar program (I use CommanderOne), any files I transfer to the sd card in the R6 Pro CAN NOT BE VIEWED when the sd card is then inserted into the computer.

They play fine on the device, and show up when trying to use the internal file viewer on the player itself... but on the computer, these files seem to not exist. The difference in available storage space is reflected, but the files simply do not appear in Finder.

I can confirm that all transferred files show up just fine on the computer when the R6 Pro is plugged in via USB, and viewing through CommanderOne or AFT.
I can also confirm that even after entering the command "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" in Terminal to show all hidden files, they do not show up when viewing on the sd card reader.

Can someone PLEASE help me figure out what in the world would keep files from showing up in Finder, simply because they were transferred onto the sd card via USB?

@Joe Bloggs @gLer
Could you be transferring the files to the internal memory of the R6 Pro? That could explain why they don’t show up on the card.

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #2,996 of 4,006
This is something that seriously has my attention... You are saying this method is faster? How does it react if you, say, need to transfer a large amount of files?
Or is it just pretty serviceable for smaller transfers? I will definitely be checking this out. Thanks for sharing this suggestion.
Hi - it's faster because a) I have very fast wifi, so I'm basically writing at the peak speed that the R6 Pro can write to my SD card (which itself isn't the fastest in the world but more than fast enough); and b) because I don't have have to go through the process of either ejecting the card and using a card reader, or connecting and using the convoluted Android file transfer on the Mac. As long as you have a strong and stable wifi connection it's as rock solid as copying via cable. I can do all my SD card file management - and even file management on the Mac! - using Solid Explorer on the R6 Pro. For me this is a huge plus and one of the reasons I wanted a full Android system in a DAP.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #2,997 of 4,006

First - my use case:

@Joe Bloggs @gLer
As mentioned, since I do all my file management directly from the R6 Pro I haven't run into this issue at all. May I suggest trying the onboard file management route without inserting the card in the Mac, and see if it makes a difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back