Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Feb 9, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #934 of 4,006
Shes currently getting some final rest on her journey to Gaz before he unleashes some hardcore metal on her :L3000:
Hell will soon be unleashed!

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #935 of 4,006
havent encountered any issues so far?

I opened it up to test for Gaz before buying/shipping.

All the same as mine. No light bleed, I can make it pick up some noise from my phone when I lower the R6pro on to my phone. When it gets as close as 5mm of sitting on top it starts, lift it higher it goes off. Thats with my phones data on, wifi on, Bluetooth on and doing an internet speed test whilst performing the test.

Wifi is strong. I did the OTA firmware update from another room upstairs from the the accesspoint.

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #936 of 4,006
About the noise--even according to official HiBy specs the R6 pro (or most DAPs out there for that matter) may not be very "black" to young ears.

On the face of it, the R6 pro has high power, even higher power balanced output and exemplary S/N ratio specs, all good stuff for driving demanding IEMs.
But let's see how this pans out in theory?

The astute among you may already have noticed that all things being equal, higher power equates to a higher noise floor.
How high?
HiBy states it is on the order of 5 microvolts on the balanced out.
Which sounds impressive, until you connect the 12.8ohms, 112.8dB/mW Campfire Andromeda to it.

By P = V^2/R Noise power = (5x10^-6 V)^2/12.8 = 1.95x10^-12 W
Still very impressive sounding, until you plug in the Andromeda's 112.8dB/mW sensitivity and account for the logarithmic nature of power decibels:
= 1.95x10^-9 mW = 112.8dB + 10 log (1.95x10^-9) = 112.8 - 87dB = 25.8dB
i.e. by HiBy's specs, a nominal R6 pro would have a background of 25.8dB through the balanced out, while a completely black background would be at 0dB.

In other news, Single ended noise power = (3x10^-6 V)^2 / 12.8 = 7.03x10^-13 W = 7.03x10^-10 mW = 112.8 + 10 log (7.03x10^-10) = 112.8 - 91.5 dB = 21.3dB
All else being equal, if the aim were 0dB background noise from the Andromedas, 10 log (x mW) = -112.8dB log x = -11.28 x = 10^-11.28 = 5.25x10^-12 mW = 5.25x10^-15 W = 0.0027 of R6 pro's balanced noise power

All else being equal (especially the S/N ratio), that means one needed to aim for a power spec of 0.0027x750 = ~2mW (into 32 ohms as specced for the R6 pro) through the balanced out and no more.
Given the SNR of 133dB this would have, simply, allowed peaks of 133dB through the Andromedas, which would be louder than anybody needs. Meanwhile, of course, this is utterly inadequate for almost any other earphones out there.
Not to mention that any DAP / DAC / amp sporting a spec of "2+2mW into 32 ohms" would be the laughingstock of consumers worldwide.

Just puts into perspective some bits of the current audio market that is, for lack of a better description, utterly ridiculous...

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #937 of 4,006
I opened it up to test for Gaz before buying/shipping.

All the same as mine. No light bleed, I can make it pick up some noise from my phone when I lower the R6pro on to my phone. When it gets as close as 5mm of sitting on top it starts, lift it higher it goes off. Thats with my phones data on, wifi on, Bluetooth on and doing an internet speed test whilst performing the test.

Wifi is strong. I did the OTA firmware update from another room upstairs from the the accesspoint.
Thanks nayparm, very kind of you to check the dap before I bought it. I can't wait to use it. Probably be my new workday powerhouse!

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #938 of 4,006
I'm sure it will, i'm now off to use mine while I chainsaw the over grown crap that trys to blind me every time i get in the truck. That should be a good S/N test :L3000:

Feb 9, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #939 of 4,006
20190209_181810.jpg
My new Head-Fi equipment!!
Cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #941 of 4,006
So, after a bit more testing with iBasso CB12s 4.4mm MMCX cable & my original Fiio LC-4.4B balanced cable alongside my 3.5mm ALO litz cable that came with my Andromedas, I've come to the following conclusion: wifi and bluetooth on cellular devices causes quite a bit of static and popping if the device is within proximity of the Hiby R6 Pro. The range for this to occur is about 1-2 feet. However, the workaround is this: if wifi and bluetooth are disabled on a cellular device, the Hiby R6 Pro does not receive any noise interference from a cellular device. Most importantly, a cellular device can be using 4G LTE connection and it will NOT affect the Hiby R6 Pro.

Strangely, my desk setup includes two laptops and a desktop which includes a wireless bluetooth keyboard. None of these devices cause static interference. The interference occurs almost exclusively on cellphones, but thankfully, if wifi & bluetooth are disabled and only LTE is enabled, then keeping the Hiby R6 Pro near a cellular device is perfectly acceptable. Also, when enabling wifi on the Hiby R6 Pro, static interference can be heard on my R6 Pro though it is is significantly less noisy--it may still possibly be heard while streaming, which some may find that annoying.

That's currently where I'm at with this device, and this seems to be the consensus of quite a few users including both international and Chinese versions of the R6 Pro. I do know if a software update can alleviate this type of problem, but this seems to be where we're at.

I've decided not to return my device despite this as I can work around wifi and bluetooth as long as I can keep my LTE connection on my cellular device alive.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #942 of 4,006
So, after a bit more testing with iBasso CB12s 4.4mm MMCX cable & my original Fiio LC-4.4B balanced cable alongside my 3.5mm ALO litz cable that came with my Andromedas, I've come to the following conclusion: wifi and bluetooth on cellular devices causes quite a bit of static and popping if the device is within proximity of the Hiby R6 Pro. The range for this to occur is about 1-2 feet. However, the workaround is this: if wifi and bluetooth are disabled on a cellular device, the Hiby R6 Pro does not receive any noise interference from a cellular device. Most importantly, a cellular device can be using 4G LTE connection and it will NOT affect the Hiby R6 Pro.

Strangely, my desk setup includes two laptops and a desktop which includes a wireless bluetooth keyboard. None of these devices cause static interference. The interference occurs almost exclusively on cellphones, but thankfully, if wifi & bluetooth are disabled and only LTE is enabled, then keeping the Hiby R6 Pro near a cellular device is perfectly acceptable. Also, when enabling wifi on the Hiby R6 Pro, static interference can be heard on my R6 Pro though it is is significantly less noisy--it may still possibly be heard while streaming, which some may find that annoying.

That's currently where I'm at with this device, and this seems to be the consensus of quite a few users including both international and Chinese versions of the R6 Pro. I do know if a software update can alleviate this type of problem, but this seems to be where we're at.

I've decided not to return my device despite this as I can work around wifi and bluetooth as long as I can keep my LTE connection on my cellular device alive.
That is similar to the results of my testing as well.

To be clear to others reading this thread, this is not hiss, white noise, or the R6 Pro’s noise floor we are talking about. It is not background noise that is inaudible while music is playing. We are not referring to the ‘blackness’ of silence. We are referring to intermittent crackling and clear interference that is a definite result of proximity to a smartphone. In my case, an iPhone 7 Plus. The volume of the interference can also be increased while it is occurring as the smartphone is moved toward the R6 Pro.

For me, this is an issue that can easily be controlled with device proximity and isn’t bothersome enough to warrant returning it. The interference doesn’t happen frequently enough to be of a concern to me. It is simply occasionally noticeable. The sound quality and overall tonality are amazing with all headphones and IEMs I’ve thrown at it. The R6 Pro may be a little quirky but it is a keeper and I’m loving it. The user experience is fantastic regardless of utilizing a streaming service or playing music through the Hiby app. I’m still very pleased with the purchase and I definitely recommend the product.

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #943 of 4,006

After providing further tests today I can also confirm the same. My R6Pro International does pic up the interference from my smartphone if it has WIFi, BT or 3G HSDPA enabled and actively transmitting the data. But this happens only when smartphone is brought to <15cm to 3.5 or 4.4 jacks connectoed to R6Pro outputs. I DO NOT hear any interference with R6Pro own WiFi or BT enabled and running, spent the whole day trying to hear it but failed.
I don't consider interference caused by a smartphone to be an issue due to other audio devices having the same behavior and no problems when smartphone is placed at least 30cm away from DAP.

_DSC0192.jpg

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #944 of 4,006
After providing further tests today I can also confirm the same. My R6Pro International does pic up the interference from my smartphone if it has WIFi, BT or 3G HSDPA enabled and actively transmitting the data. But this happens only when smartphone is brought to <15cm to 3.5 or 4.4 jacks connectoed to R6Pro outputs. I DO NOT hear any interference with R6Pro own WiFi or BT enabled and running, spent the whole day trying to hear it but failed.
I don't consider interference caused by a smartphone to be an issue due to other audio devices having the same behavior and no problems when smartphone is placed at least 30cm away from DAP.

I completely agree. I can simply say that the issue occurs but it doesn’t affect me enough to be concerned.

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #945 of 4,006

Did the Ibasso cable clear up the balanced output noise, on your particular device? I don't get any noise, or interference on the 3.5mm output ( I also have a Cascade 3.5mm cable that tests out clean).

I do have noise on the 4.4mm , though. I can't use it, on any other cable, except the Ibasso cable.

Maybe we can make a list of cables that folks have a clean output off the 4.4mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back