Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Feb 7, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #874 of 4,006
Thanks mate I missed that. Basically I’m sold on the R6 Pro from a sound quality and specifications point of view, it’s just the QC that worries me.
Definitely more "issues" than we would like to see - but it is early in the production and maybe they were excited to be off for a few weeks for the Chinese New Year celebrations! Here in the states there is an urban legend that you should never buy an automobile built on a Monday or Friday - I have never limited my purchases in this manner.

Hey - wonder if they gave away the free R6 Pro to a lucky Facebook follower? HiBy stated they would do that in January 2019 and if I am not mistaken that is behind us now...

Food for thought though!

Cheers,
Tim

Feb 7, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #875 of 4,006
Dunno if it's just my buggy model but the r6 pro on both 3.5mm and 4.4mm throw out way more hiss than my Hiby r3 using my andromedas. There's almost no his on my r3, but there's definitely more white noise on the pro. Again, might be my buggy model.

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #877 of 4,006
Dunno if it's just my buggy model but the r6 pro on both 3.5mm and 4.4mm throw out way more hiss than my Hiby r3 using my andromedas. There's almost no his on my r3, but there's definitely more white noise on the pro. Again, might be my buggy model.
I’ve been trying my R6 Pro with my Shure SE846, Grado RS1e, Oppo PM3, and Westone UM Pro 50 earphones and I haven’t really experienced background hiss. However, I can occasionally get WiFi or Bluetooth interference. I can’t get it to do it ‘on-demand’ but once it starts, I can set my iPhone on top of the R6 Pro and amplify the interference considerably. The noise is only on the left side and it doesn’t matter if I’m going balanced or single-ended. It is very infrequent and seems to only happen if I have my phone sitting within half a foot or so from the R6 Pro. I think this might be a design issue but happens so infrequently to me that I am not super concerned. I’ve heard similar interference while using the AP200, Pioneer XDP-100r, and my iPhone itself while using Tidal in the past. I never had it happen with the original R6 though. I will do some more experimenting to see if I can force it to happen.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #878 of 4,006
I’ve been trying my R6 Pro with my Shure SE846, Grado RS1e, Oppo PM3, and Westone UM Pro 50 earphones and I haven’t really experienced background hiss. However, I can occasionally get WiFi or Bluetooth interference. I can’t get it to do it ‘on-demand’ but once it starts, I can set my iPhone on top of the R6 Pro and amplify the interference considerably. The noise is only on the left side and it doesn’t matter if I’m going balanced or single-ended. It is very infrequent and seems to only happen if I have my phone sitting within half a foot or so from the R6 Pro. I think this might be a design issue but happens so infrequently to me that I am not super concerned. I’ve heard similar interference while using the AP200, Pioneer XDP-100r, and my iPhone itself while using Tidal in the past. I never had it happen with the original R6 though. I will do some more experimenting to see if I can force it to happen.

Thanks for the testing. I appreciate it.

Yeah, I'm able to force pop, hiss, and static cutting in and out if I have my phone's bluetooth within 1 to 3 feet of my Hiby R6 Pro.

For example, if I have my phone to the left of my keyboard and my R6 Pro to the right of my mouse, I can cause an unacceptable amount of interference if I turn on bluetooth on my phone. It'll happen immediately. And if I turn off bluetooth, it will settle down after about 5-6 seconds.

If turning on bluetooth or wifi on my Hiby R6 caused static and hiss, I'd be more okay with this since I could just disable wifi or bluetooth while listening to music on the R6 Pro to alleviate this.

Interestingly, my Hiby R3 does not exhibit this same problem (there is some static if wifi is turned on my Hiby R3, but there isn't any with bluetooth enabled on my R3. It also does not absorb any interference if other devices with bluetooth or wifi are within proximity of it), so currently this problem is isolated with my R6 Pro. I've also been wondering if this is just a design issue, but I've begun to think that perhaps my unit is exhibiting this problem quite a bit more than the typical user, since there have not been many people who have been able to replicate this.

Currently, I can hear the pops, hiss, and static through the R6 Pro when I'm walking around town as long as bluetooth is activated on my phone (which I use to connect to my smartwatch), and this occurs even if I have bluetooth or wifi disabled on my R6 Pro. An example scenario would be if I have my phone tucked in my blazer but my phone in my pant pocket, I can immediately hear interference if I pull out my phone. It's definitely been unsettling to not be able to appreciate my music when there's a sound distortion cutting through my music every few seconds when it's within proximity of my phone or having to completely cripple my phone so as to enjoy music on my R6 Pro.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #879 of 4,006
Thanks to Lieven of Headfonia.com for posting their review of the r6 pro!
https://www.headfonia.com/review-hiby-r6pro/
Their view of the pro is quite positive over the original r6 and it's made it to headfonia's recommended list.

Now let me ask about those interference issues some of you guys' been having...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 7, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #881 of 4,006

Interference is very well contained IMHO, but with high sensitivity IEMs like the Phantom, you can hear it while no music is playing. To me, a non issue really as real world use is not going to make this a real issue. Of couse YMMV depending on the quality of WiFi signal, the lower the quality the higher the interference.

Feb 7, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #883 of 4,006
Interference is very well contained IMHO, but with high sensitivity IEMs like the Phantom, you can hear it while no music is playing. To me, a non issue really as real world use is not going to make this a real issue. Of couse YMMV depending on the quality of WiFi signal, the lower the quality the higher the interference.

I can't hear it at all with my sets. I have my cell with wifi/BT on and my plenue d2 right next to it, and my laptop with the same as well as my work phone with Bluetooth within 12 inches. Nothing....

@MichaelHWinn have you ruled out your cable and any adapters you're using as the source of problem? One of those could be bad...

1549570063032.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #884 of 4,006
Thanks to Lieven of Headfonia.com for posting their review of the r6 pro!
https://www.headfonia.com/review-hiby-r6pro/
Their view of the pro is quite positive over the original r6 and it's made it to headfonia's recommended list.

The in
I can't hear it at all with my sets. I have my cell with wifi/BT on and my plenue d2 right next to it, and my laptop with the same as well as my work phone with Bluetooth within 12 inches. Nothing....

@MichaelHWinn have you ruled out your cable and any adapters you're using as the source of problem? One of those could be bad...

Yeah, I have three different sets of balanced cables (two 4.4mm and a 2.5mm balanced w/ the caiyin adapter), and I have 3 different IEMs along with 3 different 3.5mm cables. They all exhibit the same interference. It's interesting because the headfonia review's unit exhibits this problem too. So now I'm left wondering if this is a QC issue

My three headphones are as follows:
Campfire Andromeda
LZ-A5
LZ-A4

The lz series being the least sensitive

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #885 of 4,006
The in

Yeah, I have three different sets of balanced cables (two 4.4mm and a 2.5mm balanced w/ the caiyin adapter), and I have 3 different IEMs along with 3 different 3.5mm cables. They all exhibit the same interference. It's interesting because the headfonia review's unit exhibits this problem too. So now I'm left wondering if this is a QC issue

My three headphones are as follows:
Campfire Andromeda
LZ-A5
LZ-A4

The lz series being the least sensitive
I’m thinking this isn’t an issue with cables or sensitive IEMs because I’ve had the interference regardless of cable, earphone (including full size cans), or jack used. I’m thinking (just speculating) there was such a backlash over the R6’s WiFi strength and drop-outs that they designed the Pro to be much more sensitive which could make it more susceptible to interference. So far, I’ve experienced the interference with every iem, headphone, and cable I own but only if the R6 Pro is within a foot or so of my cell phone. I haven’t tried getting close to other wireless or Bluetooth devices yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back