Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Apr 16, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,211 of 4,002
This player does wonder to HD800 in the balanced mode. I have not seen such synergy from my other desktop setups. It sounds like the Sonarworks DSP applied. That smoothness which is often talked about Hiby benefits the HD800, making it surprisingly musical. I would say, Hiby radically changes HD800’s characteristics from clinical to full and warm. No sibilance or treble peaks, and the bass is phenomenal. It sounds like a HD650 with better soundstage and imaging.

I only wished, the WiFi was more stable. It keeps dropping every now and then while streaming from tidal. No other device does that in my house.
Agreed on both points! Huge difference when I got a balanced cable for my Audeze LCD-2's. And the wifi sucks! I end up having to play stuff from my iPhone in other parts of the house or store Tidal and Qobuz offline. Don't know if they can fix that with a firmware update (unlikely) or if it's a hardware thing (more likely)

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #3,212 of 4,002
Agreed on both points! Huge difference when I got a balanced cable for my Audeze LCD-2's. And the wifi sucks! I end up having to play stuff from my iPhone in other parts of the house or store Tidal and Qobuz offline. Don't know if they can fix that with a firmware update (unlikely) or if it's a hardware thing (more likely)

Yes, the WiFi creates issues even when the router is in the same room. I also notice that it’s software dependent to some level. Apple Music and Tidal tend to fare better than Mconnect or HiByMusic for streaming. With the last two, the WiFi drops completely from time to time (the WiFi icon’s gone) and reconnect. At the end, I find the UAPP app is the best choice for me in terms of features that I need (I.e. DLNA and Tidal streaming), WiFi stability and sound quality.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #3,213 of 4,002
Yes, the WiFi creates issues even when the router is in the same room. I also notice that it’s software dependent to some level. Apple Music and Tidal tend to fare better than Mconnect or HiByMusic for streaming. With the last two, the WiFi drops completely from time to time (the WiFi icon’s gone) and reconnect. At the end, I find the UAPP app is the best choice for me in terms of features that I need (I.e. DLNA and Tidal streaming), WiFi stability and sound quality.
Great info! I'm going to be picking up a Synology NAS soon and the plan will be to stream music from it to my R6 wherever I am in the house. I wonder if it's possible to store offline Tidal music on a Synology? I can't imagine Tidal would allow that :)

Apr 17, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #3,215 of 4,002
I don't have Roon, but for now UAPP seems to work OK 90% of the time with Tidal and NAS.

Apr 17, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #3,217 of 4,002
Awesome, thanks. I think I'm going to take the plunge and spend $6.99 on the iOS Neutron Player app. It was either that or buy a roll of toilet paper :)

There's a free eval version of Neutron on Google Play store. I am using that first before deciding to buy. UAPP didn't have any eval version on Google Play (you can download eval from their website though). So, I went and bought it anyway, but it worked out well luckily. So, money well spent :wink:

Apr 17, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #3,218 of 4,002
There's a free eval version of Neutron on Google Play store. I am using that first before deciding to buy. UAPP didn't have any eval version on Google Play (you can download eval from their website though). So, I went and bought it anyway, but it worked out well luckily. So, money well spent :wink:
Interesting -- I downloaded the Neutron eval. It was consistently plagued with noise on one channel (at a time -- problem changed sides occasionally).

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #3,219 of 4,002
Some advice from the collective required please. I'm listening to more music on the go, I'm generally streaming a lot more than i used to at home and on the go. I've been using Qobuz more and more in the last year. On the go I've relied on my iphone X but always preferred the sound quality of my FIIO X5 mk3 and Sony WM1Z. The Sony we all know wont do anything apart from play locally stored music beautifully. The FIIO, well it promised a lot and simply doesn't deliver. Not sure i could ever trust the brand enough to fork out for an M11 PRO or a M15. Ive spent decent cash on cables with the 4.4 balanced connector becasue i own the Sony. So now i want an DAP that will stream as well as download my Qobuz favourites for local playback Jeez if one of them could stream it form my phones hotspot I'd be amazed but thats beside the point. My search as led me to dismiss the FIIO offerings and consider the Hiby R6 Pro or the IBasso Dx220 with the AMP8 4.4 attachment. Both use a modern version of Android, both can connect to my 5 ghz network at home for streaming and dowloading but how well do they do it and how is the sound quality of each. Any wisdom you can impart would be greatly recieved :L3000:

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #3,220 of 4,002
Some advice from the collective required please. I'm listening to more music on the go, I'm generally streaming a lot more than i used to at home and on the go. I've been using Qobuz more and more in the last year. On the go I've relied on my iphone X but always preferred the sound quality of my FIIO X5 mk3 and Sony WM1Z. The Sony we all know wont do anything apart from play locally stored music beautifully. The FIIO, well it promised a lot and simply doesn't deliver. Not sure i could ever trust the brand enough to fork out for an M11 PRO or a M15. Ive spent decent cash on cables with the 4.4 balanced connector becasue i own the Sony. So now i want an DAP that will stream as well as download my Qobuz favourites for local playback Jeez if one of them could stream it form my phones hotspot I'd be amazed but thats beside the point. My search as led me to dismiss the FIIO offerings and consider the Hiby R6 Pro or the IBasso Dx220 with the AMP8 4.4 attachment. Both use a modern version of Android, both can connect to my 5 ghz network at home for streaming and dowloading but how well do they do it and how is the sound quality of each. Any wisdom you can impart would be greatly recieved :L3000:

Unfortunately, I haven't heard the DX220, but I read a lot of online reviews comparing between the DX220 and R6 pro and used the consensus opinion from those reviews to make my decision. The salient distinctions that come out of these reviews are:

1. Hiby is warmer than the DX220. DX220 is more neutral, with more micro-details. It also has higher end DACs compared to Hiby (9028PRO vs. 9028Q2M).

2. DX220 with amp8 is warmer (and more resolving) than the stock amp, but Hiby is probably the warmest of the three. Amp8 is also known for its resolution and imaging qualities which some reviewers have commented as being better than Hiby. (it would also depend on the headphones used. Using a mellow headphone like HD650 for comparison may make the DX220 appear more resolving and aggressive than R6 pro, which is smooth and musical).

3. I personally don't find any lack of details from Hiby compared to other DACs such as Chord Mojo, and the warm signature synnergizes with headphones like HD800. Hiby also has good soundstage and layering that reveals itself through the HD800.

4. DX220 has a slower processor and several reviews commented that the Hiby's interface is snappier than the DX220.

5. R6 pro includes the Google play store with all its apps, while DX220 doesn't. Apps need to be installed using APK.

6. DX220 screen is larger than Hiby. Hiby screen is adequate for me.

7. A major distinction is price. DX220 due to its flexibility of amp change carries a higher price than Hiby in the second hand market, although the new prices for both DAPs are closer ($800-900). A second hand DX220 on Head-fi goes for about $800-900, while the R6 pro can be had for $400-450. This makes Hiby a better value for money, considering the features and sound quality. DX220 would be attractive to those DAP enthusiasts, who would like to do amp rolling, like tube rolling.

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #3,221 of 4,002
Unfortunately, I haven't heard the DX220, but I read a lot of online reviews comparing between the DX220 and R6 pro and used the consensus opinion from those reviews to make my decision. The salient distinctions that come out of these reviews are:

1. Hiby is warmer than the DX220. DX220 is more neutral, with more micro-details. It also has higher end DACs compared to Hiby (9028PRO vs. 9028Q2M).

2. DX220 with amp8 is warmer (and more resolving) than the stock amp, but Hiby is probably the warmest of the three. Amp8 is also known for its resolution and imaging qualities which some reviewers have commented as being better than Hiby. (it would also depend on the headphones used. Using a mellow headphone like HD650 for comparison may make the DX220 appear more resolving and aggressive than R6 pro, which is smooth and musical).

3. I personally don't find any lack of details from Hiby compared to other DACs such as Chord Mojo, and the warm signature synnergizes with headphones like HD800. Hiby also has good soundstage and layering that reveals itself through the HD800.

4. DX220 has a slower processor and several reviews commented that the Hiby's interface is snappier than the DX220.

5. R6 pro includes the Google play store with all its apps, while DX220 doesn't. Apps need to be installed using APK.

6. DX220 screen is larger than Hiby. Hiby screen is adequate for me.

7. A major distinction is price. DX220 due to its flexibility of amp change carries a higher price than Hiby in the second hand market, although the new prices for both DAPs are closer ($800-900). A second hand DX220 on Head-fi goes for about $800-900, while the R6 pro can be had for $400-450. This makes Hiby a better value for money, considering the features and sound quality. DX220 would be attractive to those DAP enthusiasts, who would like to do amp rolling, like tube rolling.

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #3,222 of 4,002
Thanks for the reply that’s great colour. The faster UI and ease of use would appeal to me greatly so that might be a deciding factor. I probably won’t use my HD800S’s with them much but my custom noble encores will get daily usage. I use a toxic cables hydra silver cable usually and that sounds like it will work well with both these players. Thanks very much for sharing your experience and knowledge 👍🏻

Apr 18, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #3,223 of 4,002
@Highbury73
The difference in price is almost two times (aluminum case)
Буфер обміну-1.jpgБуфер обміну-2.jpg

Apr 18, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #3,224 of 4,002
@Highbury73
The difference in price is almost two times (aluminum case)
Буфер обміну-1.jpgБуфер обміну-2.jpg
in the UK the Ibasso is £799 vs £550 for the Hiby. I've managed to pick up a couple of nearly new units on ebay for decent prices so will compare this week. At the moment my thoughts are i will settle on the Hiby but i will live with both for a few weeks and then sell on the one I prefer less. My Fiio will go out the door also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back