Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Feb 20, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #3,061 of 4,003
Oh my yes! The sound was amazing with the regular cable and truly incredible with a balanced cable. I doubt I’ll get a desktop headphone amp or a Hugo Chord. It already sounds so good

I hadn’t heard of the LCD-2c though so I couldn’t say on that

the Audeze’s were the first headphones I spent over $300 on. I happened to drive past a high end sound store ($30,000 speakers inside) and they had a whole display of high end headphones. I immediately fell in love with the LCD-2’s and couldn’t discern a difference with the higher priced -3 and -4

they had some other high end ones like Sennheiser 820’s (I think that was the model) for like $1,600 and up but they were uncomfortable for me and didn’t sound nearly as good to my novice ears
WOW that's awesome, would I need a different cable as my terminated end is 6.5mm? Bit noobish

Feb 20, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #3,062 of 4,003
Are you saying this dap can run these ? Are these the sames as LCD-2C ? That's incredible if they can
R6-Pro can certainly drive LCD-2C. R6P does very well with all my cans except HE-6se. HEK-v2 are significantly more power-hungry than LCD-2C (per specs) and my Hiby has no trouble driving them to very high volume levels. On the high gain setting, I listen @ between 30 & 50 out of 100, depending on the level of the source and my mood. I mostly listen @ 35ish.

60 would be pain-inducing.

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #3,063 of 4,003
WOW that's awesome, would I need a different cable as my terminated end is 6.5mm? Bit noobish
Yes, to take advantage of the R6-Pro’s maximum power output you will need a balanced cable. You could use a 6.5-to-3.5 adapter to listen via the single-ended output. For comparison my HEKv2 plays at about 45 - 65 / 100 from the single-ended jack. ‘Normal’ is around 50, and ‘intolerable’ would be 75-ish. So not as much headroom, but probably still usable.

Personally, I wouldn’t go the SE/adapter route. The 1/4 inch plug is pretty heavy and bulky. Good chance it could tweak the jack on the DAP due to leverage/excessive force.

BTW, note that the R6 Pro balanced out is 4.4mm.

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #3,064 of 4,003
Yes, to take advantage of the R6-Pro’s maximum power output you will need a balanced cable. You could use a 6.5-to-3.5 adapter to listen via the single-ended output. For comparison my HEKv2 plays at about 45 - 65 / 100 from the single-ended jack. ‘Normal’ is around 50, and ‘intolerable’ would be 75-ish. So not as much headroom, but probably still usable.

Personally, I wouldn’t go the SE/adapter route. The 1/4 inch plug is pretty heavy and bulky. Good chance it could tweak the jack on the DAP due to leverage/excessive force.

BTW, note that the R6 Pro balanced out is 4.4mm.
Yes I'm aware of the 4.4 mm output, so I would need a brand new Cable 4.4mm to mini XLR I'm guessing

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #3,065 of 4,003
The R6 Pro Is my very first foray into the world of high resolution-balanced audio.

tbh, It’s Practically overpowered for my needs

using with Sony MDR 1A & Hidizs MS4’s (both balanced)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #3,066 of 4,003
...tbh, It’s Practically overpowered for my needs

using with Sony MDR 1A & Hidizs MS4’s (both balanced)
Yep, that’s the flip-side of my ‘...and it can drive ALL of my full-size headphones’. I assume you’ve tried the low gain setting, although the difference is pretty minimal.

Guess you just have to pick up some more demanding cans :ksc75smile:

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #3,067 of 4,003
Yep, that’s the flip-side of my ‘...and it can drive ALL of my full-size headphones’. I assume you’ve tried the low gain setting, although the difference is pretty minimal.

Guess you just have to pick up some more demanding cans :ksc75smile:

Well maybe one day I’ll be able to move up to those great cans of yours :gs1000smile:

Currently satisfied for the most part with my set up. Although I have been tempted to move up to the Sony mdr-z7m2’s.

II salute you high end owner:vulcan:

Feb 21, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #3,068 of 4,003
I doubt you know less about this than I do :) The cable that came with my LCD-2's sounded pretty good but I ended up getting a custom Zynsonix cable balanced that is AMAZING... I think it was in the $200 to $300 range. The sound difference is huge, even for someone like me who doesn't know what to listen for

My hiby settings are: (the dude I got the cable from recommended these I think...)
Low-pass antialiasing filter setting: Minimum Phase
Gain: Low
Tonality (Harmonics): Reference
DSD gain: + 6dB

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #3,069 of 4,003
I doubt you know less about this than I do :) The cable that came with my LCD-2's sounded pretty good but I ended up getting a custom Zynsonix cable balanced that is AMAZING... I think it was in the $200 to $300 range. The sound difference is huge, even for someone like me who doesn't know what to listen for

My hiby settings are: (the dude I got the cable from recommended these I think...)
Low-pass antialiasing filter setting: Minimum Phase
Gain: Low
Tonality (Harmonics): Reference
DSD gain: + 6dB
Cheers bro, I'm keen to match these with the R6 will hunt for a cable in the mean

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #3,070 of 4,003
R6-Pro can certainly drive LCD-2C. R6P does very well with all my cans except HE-6se. HEK-v2 are significantly more power-hungry than LCD-2C (per specs) and my Hiby has no trouble driving them to very high volume levels. On the high gain setting, I listen @ between 30 & 50 out of 100, depending on the level of the source and my mood. I mostly listen @ 35ish.

60 would be pain-inducing.

Isn't the Hiby R6 Pro around 750mw @32.

There are special desktop amps that can do a clean 1w at @32, but people still say they can barely handle Planars to their potential. (Geshelli amp and Rupert Neve Precision amp). This keeps getting repeated in the drop/monoprice thx threads around the web.

Are those people exaggerating the minimal current needed? (Not being snarky, asking seriously from my lack of knowing).

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #3,071 of 4,003
Isn't the Hiby R6 Pro around 750mw @32.

There are special desktop amps that can do a clean 1w at @32, but people still say they can barely handle Planars to their potential. (Geshelli amp and Rupert Neve Precision amp). This keeps getting repeated in the drop/monoprice thx threads around the web.

Are those people exaggerating the minimal current needed? (Not being snarky, asking seriously from my lack of knowing).
Yes, those are the power specs I read. And that’s certainly enough power to drive full-size cans.

But how that translates to current capacity, and what current demands various headphones present is generally not published.

I do know that, from my other DAPs (Cowon Plenue II & Opus #2) I needed to stack my CypherLabs AlgoRhythm Duet to get satisfying sound out of all my cans except Utopia. Plenue II Mk2 drives some, but not all, well. R6 Pro drives everything but my HE-6se.

Short of the 6se, my HEKv2 are the most demanding cans I own (35 Ohms, 90 dB @ 1 mW).

The math gets you to 108 dB @ 64 mW. And that needs about 43 mA of current. Doesn’t seem like a lot, but I really have no idea how much current amps in DAPs can provide. All I know is that the R6 Pro can make them play as loud as I would like at about 1/2 volume.

So I guess the tl;dr is:

I don’t know, but the R6 Pro supplies enough power and current for my needs.

Feb 22, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #3,073 of 4,003
Yes, those are the power specs I read. And that’s certainly enough power to drive full-size cans.

But how that translates to current capacity, and what current demands various headphones present is generally not published.

I do know that, from my other DAPs (Cowon Plenue II & Opus #2) I needed to stack my CypherLabs AlgoRhythm Duet to get satisfying sound out of all my cans except Utopia. Plenue II Mk2 drives some, but not all, well. R6 Pro drives everything but my HE-6se.

Short of the 6se, my HEKv2 are the most demanding cans I own (35 Ohms, 90 dB @ 1 mW).

The math gets you to 108 dB @ 64 mW. And that needs about 43 mA of current. Doesn’t seem like a lot, but I really have no idea how much current amps in DAPs can provide. All I know is that the R6 Pro can make them play as loud as I would like at about 1/2 volume.

So I guess the tl;dr is:

I don’t know, but the R6 Pro supplies enough power and current for my needs.
Since 35 ohms is almost exactly 32 ohms, the R6pro will provide almost exactly 750mW to the HEKv2 max.
Assuming the max voltage swing doesn't change (and with an increase in load impedance, max voltage swing can only go up, not down), the max power at 35 ohms is 686mW to be exact. This is with any current supply limit already taken into account.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 22, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #3,074 of 4,003
im guessing these can very easily drive HD650s right?
Yes, easily (via balanced out). I’m listening to R6 Pro ==> HD-6XX right now. On high gain, ‘comfortable’ is between 35 & 45, depending on the track. ‘That’s too loud’ is about 60 - 70 (out of 100).

BTW, ‘tube amp’ tonality is quite nice w/ HD-6XX.

In other news ...

I realized I could use my balanced RAD-0 cable w/ my HE-6se. I had just been assuming that R6 Pro couldn’t drive them, but I got empirical today. Turns out R6P could drive them ... sort of. On high gain, from the balanced out, 100/100 got the volume to ‘comfortable’.

So not really — I suspect no one is surprised. :smile_phones:

Feb 23, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #3,075 of 4,003

Users who are viewing this thread

Back