Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Nov 13, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #2,581 of 4,006
I have a Mac the procedure above seems for Windows?

Why can't Hiby engineers purchase a subscription to Qobuz to test fully?
The procedure can be done on a Mac. It reads "Install adb on windows, MacOS, linux".

We have developer as well as user subscriptions to Qobuz thanks to our development work for the R3 and we have not encountered this issue. Unfortunately. (?)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 13, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #2,582 of 4,006
Couldn't agree more , I have owned 200 amp 8 (220 not so different) , r6pro and fiio m11 ...in many ways the r6 pro is superior to the ibasso offerings, battery life, build , ui and honestly in ways I preferred the dynamics and power on the r6pro all though 200 amp 8 does sound good , the m11 build, ui and battery is as good as an r6pro but again the tonality of the r6pro is better although I feel the m11 has better layering and stage, hiss let's r6pro down although again its not so bad on non sensitive iems .....fantastic dap and I kept it over the 200 amp 8 as it was just far better to use as a whole, I still have an m11 though.

Can I derive from your comments that you heard hiss level to be higher on R6 Pro than M11?

Nov 13, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #2,583 of 4,006
Can I derive from your comments that you heard hiss level to be higher on R6 Pro than M11?
At times yes , but I still think a lot of the hiss is track or recording related as with older not so well mastered recordings i noticed it more ....I do want to reiterate that the r6pro is probably my favourite dap I have owned even though I use the m11 at the moment and sold the r6pro its just not suited to the andro or andro s which is my main iem...if the r6pro was improved in a couple areas, layering/stage and blacker background I would buy another tomorrow.

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #2,584 of 4,006
At times yes , but I still think a lot of the hiss is track or recording related as with older not so well mastered recordings i noticed it more ....I do want to reiterate that the r6pro is probably my favourite dap I have owned even though I use the m11 at the moment and sold the r6pro its just not suited to the andro or andro s which is my main iem...if the r6pro was improved in a couple areas, layering/stage and blacker background I would buy another tomorrow.
I did the reverse, sold my M11 and bought an R6 Pro, though I don't use super sensitive IEMs like Andros. For me the R6 Pro has several advantages over the M11, not least full Play Store support (which you only realise you need once you have it), more compact form factor, more weighty and overall better SQ (only IMO of course), and given that you can pick up an R6 Pro in mint condition for the same price as an M11, it was a no-brainer for me. I still rate the M11 very highly, but going forward I'll only get an Android DAP with full access to UAPP, which is by far and away the best audio player for Android. I use a variety of 16ohm IEMs and have never heard any hiss (other than that which is in the recording) on either M11 or R6 Pro. What people don't often realise is that the more resolving the player and IEM, the more likely you're going to hear analogue hiss (and other artefacts) in the recording, in much greater detail too. The more resolving the system the less forgiving it is of poor recordings.

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #2,585 of 4,006
I did the reverse, sold my M11 and bought an R6 Pro, though I don't use super sensitive IEMs like Andros. For me the R6 Pro has several advantages over the M11, not least full Play Store support (which you only realise you need once you have it), more compact form factor, more weighty and overall better SQ (only IMO of course), and given that you can pick up an R6 Pro in mint condition for the same price as an M11, it was a no-brainer for me. I still rate the M11 very highly, but going forward I'll only get an Android DAP with full access to UAPP, which is by far and away the best audio player for Android. I use a variety of 16ohm IEMs and have never heard any hiss (other than that which is in the recording) on either M11 or R6 Pro. What people don't often realise is that the more resolving the player and IEM, the more likely you're going to hear analogue hiss (and other artefacts) in the recording, in much greater detail too. The more resolving the system the less forgiving it is of poor recordings.
I found the amp in the R6 Pro to be far superior to the M11 .

Nov 13, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #2,586 of 4,006
They are both very good, I only play from files so playstore support has never been an issue for me ...if someone asked me which is better sounding then it would be r6pro overall although I do feel m11 has better layering/stage ...it was genuinely not an easy descion to sell the r6pro and keep the m11 and to be honest the m11 was bought as a tide me over until I decide on my next dap of which I'm waiting on a few more opinions to come out on other products.
I find when you post an opinion with slight negatives then people tend to focus on them , the hiby r6pro is a fantastic device and honestly I kept the m11 more as a whole not just sound quality.

Nov 15, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #2,587 of 4,006
I don’t want to speak too soon but I think Qobuz is now behaving itself better after the last upgrade. :k701smile:

If so then I am back in love with it.

Nov 15, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #2,588 of 4,006
@Joe Bloggs I tried to connect my MacBook via USB (to listen to audio from the Mac via USB) but I see in the Connected Devices page USB is displaying Not Connected

What do I do?

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #2,589 of 4,006
@Joe Bloggs, I'm planning to buy an R6 Pro AL, but I have a few question.

1. The button arrangement. I know this has been brought up in this thread before, and I understand that the intention was to "forward towards the bottom of the list". However, one thing that bugs be is that the triangle mark of the Play button points up, which leads me to falsely assume that the button at the top should be Forward button. Is there any chance that we get to choose the button arrangement in future firmware release?

2. Does the button work with 3rd party music apps like GoneMad, Poweramp, etc.? I got to touch and try one at a local store, but there wasn't any 3rd party apps installed for me to try, and Google Play app was locked, so I'm curious.

3. Are there any plan for Hiby music app to support Album Artist tag in the future? Actually this is what's making me hesitate to get an R6. Of course I can always use a 3rd party app that supports it, but then I'll miss MSEB.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 16, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #2,590 of 4,006

2. Does the button work with 3rd party music apps like GoneMad, Poweramp, etc.? I got to touch and try one at a local store, but there wasn't any 3rd party apps installed for me to try, and Google Play app was locked, so I'm curious.

I'm obviously not Joe, but I can tell you that the button arrangement works the same on the Onkyo player that I use on my R6.

But after Joe mentioned the up and down in the playlist idea, I got used to it within minutes and actually prefer it now.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #2,591 of 4,006

I'm not talking about recording noise, I'm talking about hiss noise generated by the player. All audio gear has a noise floor, some have it to be more noticeable on sensitive iems. E.g. I sold m11 because it bothered me that on a quiet environment, on my IEMs, I could always here the amp circuitry turn on and off with very noticeable noise floor. I have/had several AK daps, they don't have that. They're simultaneously not able to produce a lot of power into a load, so I guess theres tradeoffs there made by designers.

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #2,592 of 4,006
@Joe Bloggs I tried to connect my MacBook via USB (to listen to audio from the Mac via USB) but I see in the Connected Devices page USB is displaying Not Connected

What do I do?

I don't really know what you're referring to, but I can say that in general, you connect to a computer as an audio device via the following:
1. Physically connect it to the computer
2. Drag down the notification shade and scroll to the bottom where it says something like "connected for charging; tap for more options", tap it and change it to USB Audio; at this point the display will change to a fullscreen USB DAC display
3. If need be, go to your Mac's sound settings and choose the new sound device (the R6 pro) as the default sound device so that sound will actually be routed through it (though this part should be automatic these days)

1. The button arrangement. I know this has been brought up in this thread before, and I understand that the intention was to "forward towards the bottom of the list". However, one thing that bugs be is that the triangle mark of the Play button points up, which leads me to falsely assume that the button at the top should be Forward button. Is there any chance that we get to choose the button arrangement in future firmware release?
Frankly, I don't know :sweat_smile: I've brought up the point of the errant play arrow but don't remember if I'd ever asked them for the chance to just choose which way the FF / Rew buttons go and what they said to that.

Usually yes but there can be issues with apps competing to respond to the buttons. You may need to configure them manually

3. Are there any plan for Hiby music app to support Album Artist tag in the future? Actually this is what's making me hesitate to get an R6. Of course I can always use a 3rd party app that supports it, but then I'll miss MSEB.
Thanks in advance!

I'm hoping this will be solved in the future, one way or another (album artist tag support, or MSEB support)

I'm not talking about recording noise, I'm talking about hiss noise generated by the player. All audio gear has a noise floor, some have it to be more noticeable on sensitive iems. E.g. I sold m11 because it bothered me that on a quiet environment, on my IEMs, I could always here the amp circuitry turn on and off with very noticeable noise floor. I have/had several AK daps, they don't have that. They're simultaneously not able to produce a lot of power into a load, so I guess theres tradeoffs there made by designers.

If you're worried about the low player background noise, going by user feedback it seems the R5 is most immune to it. Of course there is some of that power tradeoff going on here as well but not as much as with the AK players.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 18, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #2,593 of 4,006
Had a few quick questions to R6 Pro owners who may have tested any of the below relating to digital USB output:

- Is there any way to get bit-perfect USB digital out other than using a third party app like UAPP? For example when streaming from Tidal or Plex.
- Has anyone compared digital output via USB versus SPDIF and did you notice any significant difference?
- Similarly, has anyone compare USB digital output via the R6 Pro versus USB output from a computer like a Macbook / Mac Mini and, if so, how do they compare?
- When using the USB output, with high-res files the light is still blue. Does it only turn green if the decoding / playback of the high res files happens on the DAP itself? (i.e., is bitperfect out always blue)?

Thanks in advance for anyone input and impressions!

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #2,594 of 4,006
@Joe Bloggs so I'm on hiby music version beta 1.41. all of a sudden hiby music opens and then immediately crashes every time it's opened. Cleared cache, no effect. I managed to upgrade to beta 1.42 but no change in behavior, I open it, it gets to the files screen and then crashes... Resetting the unit doesn't help.

Suggestions? I Would really love to be able to save EQ, MSEB settings and playlists.... Everything else seems ok.

Nov 18, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #2,595 of 4,006
@skycracksopen, @Joe Bloggs
Thanks for the response! Good to know that the buttons work on 3rd party as well. Actually, I don't think the button arrangement would be a huge obstacle either, it just felt a bit weird on first contact. Or maybe let the Play button point downwards in the future product? Idk...
As for the album artist tag, I'm looking forward to it being implemented. To me it's an essential function for a music player, yet I see so many DAPs that doesn't support it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back