Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Nov 2, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #2,551 of 4,000
Still enjoying the R6 Pro but it still won't play Qobuz right away.

I have to wait 20 mins or so for it to work. So I listen to some albums I have on HiBy Music. Then try again a bit later and it starts fo work.

I have gotten used to this procedure. I don't mind it too much.
I thought it was only me. Yeah, a long delay to start Qobuz, and sometimes it just crashes.

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #2,552 of 4,000
Still enjoying the R6 Pro but it still won't play Qobuz right away.

I have to wait 20 mins or so for it to work. So I listen to some albums I have on HiBy Music. Then try again a bit later and it starts fo work.

I have gotten used to this procedure. I don't mind it too much.

I thought it was only me. Yeah, a long delay to start Qobuz, and sometimes it just crashes.

I'm not promising a fix if you do do this, but it would be a start for us to possibly have the information at hand to fix it if one of you can provide a matlog of what's happening to the system:

1. Install Matlog on the R6pro from google play.
2. Follow this guide to set up ADB on your computer and the R6: https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
3. On the computer, run the following shell command to allow Matlog to read logs from the R6:
adb shell pm grant com.pluscubed.matlog android.permission.READ_LOGS
4. Using the app, save logs of the system from just after you first try to play something using Qobuz, and another log from just after it finally manages to start playing.

Good luck and if you do try this, let me know if you have any problems along the way.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 3, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #2,553 of 4,000
It does sound like a defective unit, maybe the DAC is losing clock sync :/ Have you emailed service@hiby.com about this?
I ended up returning it to the vendor--the last day I had it the massive hiss happened 3x within 2 hours, so I concluded as you that it was defective. Thanks for the thoughts, Joe. Are you able to comment on what the tonality settings are doing, from a technical perspective? I'm really curious about that. I enjoy using them.

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #2,554 of 4,000
Hi!!
I have been looking for a new DAP for a few weeks now and I’m trying to find one that can play Tidal MQA, I’m mostly using that now and I really would like a player that can do this well...
I was looking into the Fiio M11 Pro but it does not support it...

How would these two compare? And does the R6 Pro support Tidal offline MQA??

Thank you all!!
R6 Pro doesn't do full Tidal unfold, just the first unfold in software (any DAP will do that). The only DAP I've used that does that is DX220. M11 Pro is supposed to have full MQA unfold added, but it isn't there yet.

All 3 of those DAPs have different takes on timbre and what you prefer will be up to your ears and how they match with your headphones.

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #2,555 of 4,000
R6 Pro doesn't do full Tidal unfold, just the first unfold in software (any DAP will do that). The only DAP I've used that does that is DX220. M11 Pro is supposed to have full MQA unfold added, but it isn't there yet.

All 3 of those DAPs have different takes on timbre and what you prefer will be up to your ears and how they match with your headphones.
The R5 now does it too (with the latest firmware). Let's hope HiBy see fit to add this to their FLAGSHIP dap and not just the mid-range and entry-level models. @Joe Bloggs

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #2,556 of 4,000
The R5 now does it too (with the latest firmware). Let's hope HiBy see fit to add this to their FLAGSHIP dap and not just the mid-range and entry-level models. @Joe Bloggs
Nice. It would be nice to add to R6 pro. And, of course, upcoming R8!!

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #2,557 of 4,000

Doesn't the R6 have an option for Tube-like and Reference. Doesn't that mean you can change this?

Nov 3, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #2,558 of 4,000
Doesn't the R6 have an option for Tube-like and Reference. Doesn't that mean you can change this?
Sure, you can slightly alter the R6 pro's timbre with the tonality options. There's no DX220 or M11 Pro setting, tho :wink:

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #2,559 of 4,000
Sure, you can slightly alter the R6 pro's timbre with the tonality options. There's no DX220 or M11 Pro setting, tho :wink:
I don’t think the R6 Pro is in any way inferior to those two DAPs. But that’s just my opinion, and everyone has one :wink:

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #2,560 of 4,000
I don’t think the R6 Pro is in any way inferior to those two DAPs. But that’s just my opinion, and everyone has one :wink:

Couldn't agree more , I have owned 200 amp 8 (220 not so different) , r6pro and fiio m11 ...in many ways the r6 pro is superior to the ibasso offerings, battery life, build , ui and honestly in ways I preferred the dynamics and power on the r6pro all though 200 amp 8 does sound good , the m11 build, ui and battery is as good as an r6pro but again the tonality of the r6pro is better although I feel the m11 has better layering and stage, hiss let's r6pro down although again its not so bad on non sensitive iems .....fantastic dap and I kept it over the 200 amp 8 as it was just far better to use as a whole, I still have an m11 though.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #2,561 of 4,000
Couldn't agree more , I have owned 200 amp 8 (220 not so different) , r6pro and fiio m11 ...in many ways the r6 pro is superior to the ibasso offerings, battery life, build , ui and honestly in ways I preferred the dynamics and power on the r6pro all though 200 amp 8 does sound good , the m11 build, ui and battery is as good as an r6pro but again the tonality of the r6pro is better although I feel the m11 has better layering and stage, hiss let's r6pro down although again its not so bad on non sensitive iems .....fantastic dap and I kept it over the 200 amp 8 as it was just far better to use as a whole, I still have an m11 though.
I sold my M11 because I wanted something with a meatier sound and Google Play, and the R6 Pro does both. Haven’t heard the iBasso but I didn’t want to go backward in the UI and speed department and the R6 Pro was the only dap that could keep up with the M11 - and better it on sound and software. And the build quality of the R6 Pro is just sublime! Can’t complain. Now the focus shifts to getting better IEMs, because really that’s what makes all the difference at the end of the day.

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #2,562 of 4,000
Well he said they have different timbre, which is different from saying they are superior :wink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 4, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #2,564 of 4,000
I sold my M11 because I wanted something with a meatier sound and Google Play, and the R6 Pro does both. Haven’t heard the iBasso but I didn’t want to go backward in the UI and speed department and the R6 Pro was the only dap that could keep up with the M11 - and better it on sound and software. And the build quality of the, R6 Pro is just sublime! Can’t complain. Now the focus shifts to getting better IEMs, because really that’s what makes all the difference at the end of the day.

I agree the r6 pro is a much more meatier sound than m11 and the tonality is sublime , I sold mine because of running out of storage options (no otg and 1 slot) the cost of a 1tb card is nearly as much as an m11, also using andro s which are sensitive ...but after saying all this if you don't need lots of storage options and your iems aren't sensitive then I couldn't recommend the r6pro more, fantastic dap overall out of the 3 mentioned.

Nov 4, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #2,565 of 4,000
I agree the r6 pro is a much more meatier sound than m11 and the tonality is sublime , I sold mine because of running out of storage options (no otg and 1 slot) the cost of a 1tb card is nearly as much as an m11, also using andro s which are sensitive ...but after saying all this if you don't need lots of storage options and your iems aren't sensitive then I couldn't recommend the r6pro more, fantastic dap overall out of the 3 mentioned.
What do you mean OTG? One of the reasons I sold the M11 is because it doesn’t support OTG, but not only does the R6 Pro support it, it even powers a full 3TB 2.5” drive and lets me use it directly. Wuite amazing for a portable device! That means I no longer have to rely on the second SD slot and can bring my full library on a trip or just a selection of small and portable high-capacity flash drives.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back