Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Aug 18, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #2,356 of 4,006
Band limited noise probably would be slightly more accurate.

As it stands now, I just have a sine wave for every frequency that is on a 1/3 octave EQ. But some pink noise that is, for instance, 450 hz - 565 hz might do a better job of representing the 500 hz slider than just a 500 hz sine wave. I just haven't gone that far to create that.

I've found that frequencies that are that close together generally have about the same volume anyway... 480 isn't going to sound much different from 500.

And I do it all by ear, which a lot of people criticize me for when they first hear about it, saying things like "you can't do that, you don't have anything to meter the sound with!" Well, what are my ears, if not one of the most precise listening tools to ever exist?

Then when they hear the result, there are never any complaints.

It is definitely not an exact science... it just gets me really close to the way that I want things to sound, and then I do a little further tweaking based on listening to test music.

It definitely is tricky to do in larger rooms, but with headphones it always gets me really close. I feel like I can often get a pair of cheap earbuds to sound as good as a $500 pair of headphones with the right amps and the right EQ.

edit: In the past I did some side by side comparisons with coworkers... they would RTA the room, and I would use my method. Although they both sounded fine, people almost always agreed that my EQ sounded warmer and more pleasing to the ear.
You've got a private message from me :o2smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 19, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #2,358 of 4,006
By the way, is anyone interested in the
4.4mm to 4.4mm Balanced Impedance Adapter, which is sold in Hiby Store?
https://store.hiby.com/products/4-4mm-to-4-4mm-balanced-impedance-adapter

I am now using Campfire Audio’s Solaris with R6pro, and they are very sensitive IEM, so I am wondering to buy the adapter.

I am very appreciated if there is an advise for me.
How is the situation, using the Solaris with the R6pro right now?
Do you hear hiss from the headphone port, or are there too few volume steps suitable for the IEMs?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 19, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #2,359 of 4,006
Can you guys/gals refresh my mind, what is the max number of tracks you can read on R6Pro in HibyMusic? I mean, folder browsing has no limit, but when you scan songs on flash card, there is a limit to how many it can read (index). I thought it was 30k, but I could be wrong. Anybody?

Aug 19, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #2,360 of 4,006
How is the situation, using the Solaris with the R6pro right now?
Do you hear hiss from the headphone port, or are there too few volume steps suitable for the IEMs?

I use Solaris directly connected with R6 pro by 4.4mm balanced cable. I my case, I don’t care much about hiss, because I use them almost only outside, such as walking or in a train/subway.
R6 pro has much power, and Solaris is very sensitive, so the volume level is always around 22 - 24. I wonder if this low volume level can make full use of R6 pro.

If I use the impedance adapter, maybe I can raise the volume level, but I am afraid that the sound quality of Solaris may change into the wrong direction.

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #2,361 of 4,006
I use Solaris directly connected with R6 pro by 4.4mm balanced cable. I my case, I don’t care much about hiss, because I use them almost only outside, such as walking or in a train/subway.
R6 pro has much power, and Solaris is very sensitive, so the volume level is always around 22 - 24. I wonder if this low volume level can make full use of R6 pro.

If I use the impedance adapter, maybe I can raise the volume level, but I am afraid that the sound quality of Solaris may change into the wrong direction.
You can't force the R6pro to supply more power to your IEMs than they do now, except by making them play louder (which doesn't make any sense either, you listen at your desired volume, no more)
Adding an impedance simply makes the R6pro spend more power on driving the added impedance (not the earphones)

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #2,364 of 4,006
Hi guys, could you explain why R6pro does not support MQA rendering? Only Tidal or UAPP are capable to unfold until 96kHz. I am wondering how and why Hiby implemented MQA for the lower class R3 and not for R6?

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #2,365 of 4,006
Hi guys, could you explain why R6pro does not support MQA rendering? Only Tidal or UAPP are capable to unfold until 96kHz. I am wondering how and why Hiby implemented MQA for the lower class R3 and not for R6?
Adding native MQA support to the R6 means adding stream decoding of MQA bitstreams in the R6 audio stack. It would have to be done in software as the R6's DAC does not natively support MQA unfolding. To ensure that no breaks in sound occur when seeking or cutting between non-MQA and MQA audio, all PCM audio would have to be upsampled (to the same sample rate that MQA audio of that sample rate would unfold to), regardless of whether or not they actually contain an MQA stream. We are still wrapping our heads around the ramifications of all this and trying to decide whether it is worth it for you and for us to do this.

This is not the case for the R3, because the custom OS can inform the decoder in advance whether the audio data can possibly be an MQA stream.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #2,366 of 4,006
Yesterday I received a Hiby R6 Pro and am just evaluating it at the moment. One thing is that I left it at 87% charge last night, seven hours later it was down to 40%. The blue light never goes off, does this device go into standby when not being used as it doesn't look like it does especially if it loses over 40% charge in seven hours?

/edit - presumeably its because Idle Shutdown was not enabled, have since done this so will see how it goes.

I'm guessing that this is because the R6 Pro seems to experience a base ~5%/hr battery drain when the screen is off. I was experiencing this on the current 1.17 and the previous update, and I don't like the idle shutdown solution since it prevents automatic updates and downloads from functioning since when the player is on, I'm usually on the go somewhere without constant Wifi access.

I spent a bit of time in the last two weeks, to see if I could track down the issue and figure out how to get rid of it and it seems that I may have figured out how to reduce the drain to ~0.6%/hr with the screen off.

The source of the battery drain seems to be the Hiby MusicService triggering partial wakelocks with the OS while the screen is off, even if the actual player has been closed and removed from memory.

Since I know of other apps that keep a persistent notification loaded to prevent android from removing from memory or deep dozing the app and/or service, I figured it was worth trying to turn off the the notifications for Hiby. In the end it seems that disabling the notifications for the Hiby MusicService fixes the high battery drain issue when the screen is off.

To try and fix this, I did the following:
- Go to Settings -> Apps & notifications
- Select HibyMusic
- Select App notifications
- Under categories, you'll find two entries, leave Play control bar alone, but turn off notifications for MusicService

I've had this set for the last few days and can confirm that the battery drain seems to be gone, but I can't say for sure it fixed it without a longer period of testing. I've not noticed any issues with playback using the Hiby app, or with the audio quality in the Hiby Player or with any of my other music apps or players, but can't say for sure that there are no actual detrimental effects from doing this.

@Joe Bloggs do you have any info on if there is any reason not to disable the notifications for the MusicService if it mitigates the screen off battery drain behaviour of the R6 Pro? The service doesn't have anything to do with the custom audio stack that Hiby is using does it?

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #2,367 of 4,006
IMG_20190823_003756.jpg Miracles happen. Finally, Tidal MQA offline works, yay...

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #2,370 of 4,006
Sample rate 96K is perfectly new for me while playing offline.
How can you tell it's not working?

I think that @Joe Bloggs has previously stated that the R6 Pro is upsampling everything by 2x in order to enable MQA software decode in the Tidal app... So..... even if it shows the higher bitrate it might not actually be doing the software unfold. Anyway ping @Joe Bloggs to see if this is all still the case.

For the longest time if you actually wanted offline MQA to work on the R6 Pro you had to side load the apk for an older version of Tidal, but I think that has been fixed in the newest FW. So if you recently updated the FW and are running the latest Tidal, it might in fact be working. Just don’t rely on the bit rate reading... I don’t know any way of actually knowing for certain what the R6 Pro is doing with Tidal...

As a reminder, the R6 Pro itself is not capable of the hardware decode of any second and third unfolds, if present (unlike the R3).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back