HiBy R6 III (Gen 3) Android digital audio player, Dual ES9038Q2M, Class A / AB amplification switch, Snapdragon 665, Open Android 12 OS, DSD512 / PCM768
Sep 27, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #1,066 of 1,534
Well, I would rip my CDs to one of our Android R DAPs, to e.g. make use of the MSEB, DRX10K and the Convolver, never mind being able to switch between any number of CDs with the flick of a finger. But that's just me. Who knows, HiBy may be developing just the thing? :)
I understand as I've got many digital files.....but I've got a large CD collection and as as I am considered old, my energies (as you will one day experience) are low. Both Moondrop and Shanling have realised that there is still a nostalgia market for a CD transport with a headphone out. They both start delivery next week.

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #1,067 of 1,534
After my factory reset the MSEB name has returned. The R6 III hardware is fantastic and with 4gb of RAM, very usable. I :heart: it.
On June 15th 2020 I bought the HiBy R5 on AliExpress from the HiBy store, with a case (in the sale) for £217.39p and it is still going strong. As far as form factor goes the OG R5 is perfect, still holds a charge....and sounds great. How lucky we are. All I need now is a quality transportable CD player for my CD collection with a good headphone out. Will HiBy ever become nostalgic and make one?
Interesting re CD player, John @ Darko audio just reviewed that portable CD player from Moondrop that also does Hi-Res and DSD 256 in DAC mode.

500mW out of its SE PO and 2V out of its LO. Basically a portable CD Player/DAP, w/SD card slot and DAC for $199.00. Seems almost too good to be true. I think this thing will sell.

https://darko.audio/2023/09/a-portable-cd-player-in-2023/

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,068 of 1,534
Interesting re CD player, John @ Darko audio just reviewed that portable CD player from Moondrop that also does Hi-Res and DSD 256 in DAC mode.

500mW out of its SE PO and 2V out of its LO. Basically a portable CD Player/DAP, w/SD card slot and DAC for $199.00. Seems almost too good to be true. I think this thing will sell.

https://darko.audio/2023/09/a-portable-cd-player-in-2023/
Hi Bob......I've actually ordered one. The Shanling one is over $300 and, as you say, the Moondrop is $199. The Moondrop has a Cirrus DAC and suits me down to the ground. I use Amazon HD or Tidal, but I've too many CD's to rip and at $199 for a quality bit of Hardware I'll be happy.

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #1,069 of 1,534
Very often, when you have problems of this type, it's up to the application developers to deal with the problem.
Compatibility (with devices) is one of the reasons why your applications are updated every week on Android.
The best thing to do is to send them a message to report the problem.

Of course, there could be a bug on the Hiby side, but when you have the vast majority of applications running without problems and some crash, it's best to talk to their creators first.
I thought that too but I use the apps reliably on two Android phones so I don't think it's their problem. That said, I did contact them and each one said they checked them and believe them to be OK. The fact that four radio apps crash in the same way makes it pretty clear to me that the problem is with Hiby. :)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #1,070 of 1,534
I thought that too but I use the apps reliably on two Android phones so I don't think it's their problem. That said, I did contact them and each one said they checked them and believe them to be OK. The fact that four radio apps crash in the same way makes it pretty clear to me that the problem is with Hiby. :)
Yep, BBC Sounds and LBC both do not work on the R6 III.

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #1,071 of 1,534
Yep, BBC Sounds and LBC both do not work on the R6 III.
Thanks for the confirmation, annoying, isn't it. I have work-arounds but would prefer to use the apps for the extra features.

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #1,072 of 1,534
Regarding the radio apps not working, I decided to upgrade to the R6 Pro II and to my surprise the ones I use worked (I didn't test DI.FM but can do if it would help).

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #1,073 of 1,534
Regarding the radio apps not working, I decided to upgrade to the R6 Pro II and to my surprise the ones I use worked (I didn't test DI.FM but can do if it would help).
So that must be something related to the R6 G3 firmware. I've sent to Joe some crash logs from both apps... also sent to the app developers. Maybe someone can figure-out what's wrong.

Curiously, the first question the support for Di.FM asked is if my device had Google Play Services... I checked and it has but maybe it's not up-to-date or something.

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #1,074 of 1,534
So that must be something related to the R6 G3 firmware. I've sent to Joe some crash logs from both apps... also sent to the app developers. Maybe someone can figure-out what's wrong.

Curiously, the first question the support for Di.FM asked is if my device had Google Play Services... I checked and it has but maybe it's not up-to-date or something.
For Carlos and Simon

Managed to get BBC Sounds working. I did a Google Services update, but the Google Play version of BBC Sounds still crashed. So I decided to download the APKPURE version of BBC Sounds. It runs perfectly. LBC still crashed, but there is another APKPURE LBC app with lots of advertising that runs. The World Radio APK from Google play works and is a very interesting APP. If I do need BBC sounds I'll probably use my phone anyway. Same with LBC, but at least BBC Sounds is now working on the R6 III.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #1,075 of 1,534
Just downloaded the apps from apkpure and Hypemachine works now but shows a message "Hype Machine won't run withthour Google Play Services, which are not supported by your device". It plays fine tho.

DI.Fm still crashes on open.

I tried downloading Google Play Services from apkpure, when I install, it asks if I want to update, I tap to update and the DAP reboots.

Sep 29, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #1,076 of 1,534
So, I am having hi-res playback issues. I subscribe to qobuz studio with access to files up to 24/192. The problem is when I play anything above 16/44.1 there is no sound whatsoever. If I stop the track and restart it, there is sound, but it reverts back to 44.1K. I have downloaded the newest firmware 1.31 and it has not fixed the issue. I have disabled and deleted the poweramp app and that has not fixed it either. Am I missing something in settings? Plug-ins? MSEB? It’s getting really frustrating. Im in my 3rd factory data reset and about to give it another try. Any help would be welcome. Hiby is on vacation until Oct 7.

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #1,077 of 1,534
Well done for finding a work-around, I found another app that let me listen to LBC and some of the BBC stations but it's nice being able to use the actual apps on my Pro II.

I also had a problem with the previous update (I haven't installed the latest one yet) where, if I am using the III and charging it at the same time, it gets very hot and reboots. This hadn't happened before the update so maybe the latest one will fix it. Either way, I love the III but the Pro II is even better so I'm happy. :)

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #1,078 of 1,534
So, I am having hi-res playback issues. I subscribe to qobuz studio with access to files up to 24/192. The problem is when I play anything above 16/44.1 there is no sound whatsoever. If I stop the track and restart it, there is sound, but it reverts back to 44.1K. I have downloaded the newest firmware 1.31 and it has not fixed the issue. I have disabled and deleted the poweramp app and that has not fixed it either. Am I missing something in settings? Plug-ins? MSEB? It’s getting really frustrating. Im in my 3rd factory data reset and about to give it another try. Any help would be welcome. Hiby is on vacation until Oct 7.
Hi,

HiBy here.

Do you have any local files above 44.1kHz that you can try playing on the bundled local music player HiByMusic? If not, here's one for you to try:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nk5h...192.flac?rlkey=rijcp3v3j1wnub7q8zh3dpi2w&dl=0

I just want to see whether it's your device having problems with any and all 192kHz files, or a software problem with Qobuz.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 30, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #1,079 of 1,534
This last update 1.31 has been a nightmare, I had most of the problems reported here, 1.30 was working great and no weird characters instead of MSEB, neither random crashes like now.
Now the issue that I am not able to overcome and is really annoying, is when connecting the R6III to an external DAC/AMP, I am forced to toggle an option (I don’t remember the option in settings as I don’t have the DAP with me right now) in Hiby music settings when I want to hear a file that is above 88KHz, otherwise it is limited to it and just passes max 88KHz. The problem is that if that option is active, I can not hear any other app (apple music or spotify). So I have to go back to hiby music and turn off again that option.

I am almost sure that in 1.30 Hiby music was able to do this automatically and pass bitperfect audio to the external DAC/Amp without any toggles in the settings.
Is this the right behavior in this DAP software, if I want to listen lets say 5MHz dsd files connected to an external DAC/Amp?

The weird thing is that with Apple Music I am able to listen in 192KHz via the external DAC/Amp with no problem.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #1,080 of 1,534
Hi,

HiBy here.

Do you have any local files above 44.1kHz that you can try playing on the bundled local music player HiByMusic? If not, here's one for you to try:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nk5h...192.flac?rlkey=rijcp3v3j1wnub7q8zh3dpi2w&dl=0

I just want to see whether it's your device having problems with any and all 192kHz files, or a software problem with Qobuz.
Hi and thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I found the problem. It’s the poweramp app. After my last FDR, I only downloaded QoBuz. Nothing else. And the streaming playback is working just fine. No problems with 16/44.1, 24/44, 24/48 or 24/96. The minute I downloaded poweramp (which I paid for the premium version) the playback issues started again. At least we found the issue and I’m only out $6. I’ll try to find another android EQ that doesn’t mess with streaming, but for now I’m happy enough without one. Getting to know my gear a little better without it anyway.
Thanks so much for reaching out and for the help!
Peace,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back