HiBy R6 III (Gen 3) Android digital audio player, Dual ES9038Q2M, Class A / AB amplification switch, Snapdragon 665, Open Android 12 OS, DSD512 / PCM768
Mar 18, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #317 of 1,537
you mean chromecasting from the R6iii (where you were listening presumably through headphones) out to play on the home system?
Yes, Chromecasting out from the R6iii

I like to switch between headphones and speakers, and between my mobile devices and the systems in my living room and bedroom, without stopping the music. I listen to a lot of long-form music (DJ mixes on SoundCloud, or classical on Qobuz), waiting for the track to end isn't something I want to do.

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #318 of 1,537
Hi everybody
I ordered the R6 III bundled with CR06 dock (100 save), from local store as the price was “just” 100 more than through Hiby store and I prefer the safety of support/2 year warranty and store is just 40 mns train ride-besides I would most probably pay similar amount in import taxes (Switzerland… all over 150 bang ❗️) should arrive next week. Now with the dock I can take advantage of the balanced XLR output to my DAT recorder (or even coax/optical), nice. But I never used headphones other than normal with 3.5 SE. Any advice for sub 250 $ solution 4.4 mm headphones/IEMS matching well with the R6 ? Thanks
I think the main reason to go for balanced with the R6iii is that the single-ended output is not very powerful. My 250 ohm beyerdynamic DT770s are a soggy mess driven from the R6iii's 3.5mm output, it's not a matter of gain, they go plenty loud enough but there is no 'grip'. My 80 ohm DT770s (Custom Cans mass loading and damping but still single-ended) sound fine from the R6iii. The only IEMs I know that need high power are the Tin HiFi P1.

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #319 of 1,537
I might share this here also, last day I tried the R6 III single ended High Gain Class A with ZMF Verite 300ohm and Beyerdynamic T1 G2.

If I use a dongle they get shouty and not pleasant sounding, lacking dynamic and overall control. While on R6 I had enough volume from 50-70% depending on album, I could hear it was not my desktop stack. Still it were close and I could be more than happy with this a mobile solution when not at my normal location.

I am getting a XLR to 4.4mm adapter next week, then it should be more than perfect for portable solution.

PXL_20230317_2043561662.jpg

Mar 18, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #320 of 1,537
I might share this here also, last day I tried the R6 III single ended High Gain Class A with ZMF Verite 300ohm and Beyerdynamic T1 G2.

If I use a dongle they get shouty and not pleasant sounding, lacking dynamic and overall control. While on R6 I had enough volume from 50-70% depending on album, I could hear it was not my desktop stack. Still it were close and I could be more than happy with this a mobile solution when not at my normal location.

I am getting a XLR to 4.4mm adapter next week, then it should be more than perfect for portable solution.

Out of curiosity, how close did the Hiby R6 III get to your desktop rig... and could enabling the MSEB get you any closer to it?

The reason I am asking is that I`ve been doing the same sort of thing today with the Hiby on SE with my Neumann NDH 30s, as my desktop amp essentially takes about 30 mins to warm up (its class A) and I wanted to engage with music immediately.

Using UAPP (32-bit float active), I activated Class A with high gain, then enabled universal MSEB, tweaking the bass thump, textures and adjusted the voicing slightly to suit... now it`s really close (to the point I`m not comparing, but just enjoying)... although if I'm micro nitpicking, the soundstage could be a bit wider still - with that "iron rod" control on the bass (my Class A amp literally growls on analog-type synth bass) -.....*update* listening to it a bit more, perhaps this is where the dynamic range of the music file is more noticeable now as most tracks have the complete authority I'm used to when using the Hiby R6 III.

The only issue I have left really is that I`m at 90 - 100% volume (Nick Drake is 100% volume), but a balanced cable will fix that. For a portable solution, absolutely.... and even beyond.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #321 of 1,537
Out of curiosity, how close did the Hiby R6 III get to your desktop rig... and could enabling the MSEB get you any closer to it?

The reason I am asking is that I`ve been doing the same sort of thing today with the Hiby on SE with my Neumann NDH 30s, as my desktop amp essentially takes about 30 mins to warm up (its class A) and I wanted to engage with music immediately.

Using UAPP (32-bit float active), I activated Class A with high gain, then enabled universal MSEB, tweaking the bass thump, textures and adjusted the voicing slightly to suit... now it`s really close (to the point I`m not comparing, but just enjoying)... although if I'm micro nitpicking, the soundstage could be a bit wider still - with that "iron rod" control on the bass (my Class A amp literally growls on analog-type synth bass) -.....*update* listening to it a bit more, perhaps this is where the dynamic range of the music file is more noticeable now as most tracks have the complete authority I'm used to with the Hiby R6 III.

The only issue I have left really is that I`m at 90 - 100% volume (Nick Drake is 100% volume), but a balanced cable will fix that. For a portable solution, absolutely.... and even beyond.
To a degree yes, but it also depend on the headphone. MSEB can make it tailored more to taste, but this also lower the volume because of the negative gain due to EQ.

Compared to other solid-state setups it is close enough that I wouldn't have thought about it when not ABing back and forth. My main way to listen to my high impedance headphones is with OTL amp, this is magical in a way solid-state or R6 III can not mimic. But I am impressed how well it drives my high impedance cans.

Mar 18, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #322 of 1,537
Mine arrived today, and I have the first (of potentially many) stupid question. Since this is a software volume control, is there no way to adjust volume solely within the OS? (I.e. without first nudging the volume knob).

Also, I’ve got a pair of 6xx’s on order, and I’m heartened by the above posts about running similar full size 300Ω cans. I hadn’t considered using them with this DAP but now I’m curious. I could see using this combo once in a blue moon. Anyone else using HD6x0 series with R6III? Wondering if I should proactively order a balanced cable, or if SE will be passable for the rare occasion I use this combo.

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #323 of 1,537
Mine arrived today, and I have the first (of potentially many) stupid question. Since this is a software volume control, is there no way to adjust volume solely within the OS? (I.e. without first nudging the volume knob).

Also, I’ve got a pair of 6xx’s on order, and I’m heartened by the above posts about running similar full size 300Ω cans. I hadn’t considered using them with this DAP but now I’m curious. I could see using this combo once in a blue moon. Anyone else using HD6x0 series with R6III? Wondering if I should proactively order a balanced cable, or if SE will be passable for the rare occasion I use this combo.
A balanced cable will definitely help in your case, it doubles the voltage swing and voltage swing is what high-Z cans like these are all about.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 19, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #324 of 1,537
I don't have the device in front of me, but try swiping down the control panel from the top of the screen, there may be a volume control there. There was on the R6 2020, at least.

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #325 of 1,537
I've been listening to my HD6XX's through both balanced and SE and while the balanced does add a bit more depth and low end impact, the results are completely acceptable on SE and am only listening at around 80-85 in High Gain Class A at around 70-75DB's. I will also add that this match up with the R6 III is much better than I expected with either termination and I've been listening with this combo quite a bit. It's nice to have opputrunatiy to wander around the house with HD6XX's! With a bit of sound field adjustments and MSEB and I can basically simulate the sound of the HD6XX's on a tube amp!

MY HD6XX Sound tunings (I've also attached teh MSEB file):

Screenshot_20230319-082522.png

Screenshot_20230319-082552.png

Attachments

• SennheiserHD6xx.mseb.zip
    664 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #326 of 1,537
Mar 19, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #327 of 1,537
Updated to latest FW.
Still no BT audio working. All codecs grayed out.
And volume encoder often changes it's working direction. Switching clockwise/antiCW helps for a while. Then defaults back to VolUP as antiCW.
Might be hardware faults, if that is not common for others.
Same for me. I was realy hoping the newest firmware would resolve this.
So the two of you have no connection to BT earphones and wonky volume knobs? 😅

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #329 of 1,537
So the two of you have no connection to BT earphones and wonky volume knobs? 😅
I don't have wonky volume knob issues like VeightTripleDivision said, but all of the Bluetooth codec stuff is grayed out. I am able to transmit and recieve bluetooth signals, but have no control over the codec selection.

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #330 of 1,537
Hello, Joe.

I have tried streaming from two mobile phones (Samsung and Xiaomi) to R6III, and from R6III to R3 Pro (also UAT). No sound.
Knob is often times not reacting to changing CW/CCW in settings or working opposite ways after while.
and by "all codecs greyed out" you mean the Bluetooth codecs in developer options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back