HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jan 2, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #5,101 of 6,622
I just my R6 today and wanted to flash it to Oreo before doing anything else but it's not going well. I'm running a Windows 10 laptop with 4K resolution and despite trying to run the flash tool in Win7 and Win8 compatibility modes, I can't get the full screen of the tool to show up so I can't even select the proper burn file. I'm wondering if I can just use another Qualcomm flash tool since it's supposedly a standard Snapdragon 425. I'm worried about bricking the device, though. Decisions, decisions.
finally figured it out.

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #5,102 of 6,622
My Oreo update failed yesterday so revisited it today on a laptop which usually proves better than my old desktop.

What I realised my problem was (Fail to Load in Download Tool) was driver related. I had downloaded it several times to no avail, only seeing Qualcomm under ports once and never when using the Download Tool.

On the laptop I did things differently and kept Device Manager open. Port is only shown with whatever Comm number it attaches when you have correctly put the R6 in the mode via power, volume up and volume down. Doing this several times as sometimes it simply just switched on finally showed the port.

Rather than download everything else again on the laptop I followed this on the desktop where I already had unzipped everything and Download worked at second attempt. Comm number was different to what I remember it using the last time so this might change each time you get R6 in correct mode by power, volume up and volume down.

So if anyone is struggling like I did. After downloading driver simply checking Device Manager ports does not show it, you only see when R6 has successfully gone in correct mode via the three button press. Hope this helps people.

PS also I noticed on successful Oreo download that Download Manager is 265/287. Did everyone else get this result and I am worried something may be missing? I would have thought it would be 287/287. But then msm8917 folder only has 278 items in it so guess nothing to worry about.

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #5,103 of 6,622
finally figured it out.
For what it's worth, I had to change program DPI settings in Properties. Only overriding high DPI scaling worked for me.

Jan 2, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #5,104 of 6,622
So I haven't been able to get the upgrade to work. I've tried on 2 different computers and have had the same problem.
The port shows up with a :warning: symbol, and it doesn't in the video, which I assume is a bad thing.
PHHzFvh.png

And when I try to change it to COM4 (It's COM3 by default) in the burner program it gives me an error like this:
lXlimVA.png

I also tried using the one that says [02] which defaults to COM4 but the burn fails and [04] gives the same error when trying to switch. The video used [03] anyway so I assume it'll only work on that one, but I can't switch it to COM4.

I'm not super tech savvy so I'm terrible at things like this

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #5,105 of 6,622
I'm thinking about getting the R6 for occasional DAP. Mostly a desktop person. I have the Westone ES60 CIEMs which are very, very sensitive. Even was AK380, I had a persistent background noise level, not intermittent hiss. It seems from searching the channel the R6 is fairly quiet if I turn off all connectivity options. Anyone with Westone W60 or W80 care to comment if they hear any hiss? Thanks.

I would be more worried about the impedence issues with westone than hiss.

Jan 2, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #5,106 of 6,622
The app Via doesnt seem easy to remove. Im guessing its a popular mobile browser outside of US?

Yes I've been working on removing it.. But no luck yet?

Go to the app info and disable the app. That's what I did.

If you don't know how to go to app info, the quickest way is to hold your finger down on the app and then "app info" There should be a disable button.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #5,108 of 6,622
So I haven't been able to get the upgrade to work. I've tried on 2 different computers and have had the same problem.
The port shows up with a :warning: symbol, and it doesn't in the video, which I assume is a bad thing.
PHHzFvh.png

And when I try to change it to COM4 (It's COM3 by default) in the burner program it gives me an error like this:
lXlimVA.png

I also tried using the one that says [02] which defaults to COM4 but the burn fails and [04] gives the same error when trying to switch. The video used [03] anyway so I assume it'll only work on that one, but I can't switch it to COM4.

I had this same problem and I consider myself fairly tech savvy (I flashed many custom ROMs in my younger days) so this why-can't-I-just-get-an-error-code-in-English scenario made me angry and like most people, when I get angry, I tend to do semi-irrational things. Looking at the properties for the 9008 driver in device manager I saw it thought it had a digital signature problem. Getting Hiby to identify and resolve that issue is what I recommend for people with some patience. I explored some logical ways to deal with that, but after some hours had passed, I was out of patience. So I'm not saying it's a good idea, but what I ended up doing is finding another Qualcomm HS-USB QDloader 9008 driver and went with the 64-bit version. I bought this R6 with the express intent of putting Oreo on it and I wasn't keeping it if I couldn't flash it.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #5,109 of 6,622
I had this same problem and I consider myself fairly tech savvy (I flashed many custom ROMs in my younger days) so this why-can't-I-just-get-an-error-code-in-English scenario made me angry and like most people, when I get angry, I tend to do semi-irrational things. Looking at the properties for the 9008 driver in device manager I saw it thought it had a digital signature problem. Getting Hiby to identify and resolve that issue is what I recommend for people with some patience. I explored some logical ways to deal with that, but after some hours had passed, I was out of patience. So I'm not saying it's a good idea, but what I ended up doing is finding another Qualcomm HS-USB QDloader 9008 driver and went with the 64-bit version. I bought this R6 with the express intent of putting Oreo on it and I wasn't keeping it if I couldn't flash it.

At first I thought I was going to run into this problem but what had ended up happening was Windows 10 went into "test mode" which I don't think I've ever seen before. But basically it puts itself in test mode when using software that's not tested such as the driver Hiby provided. Still ended up working out but I'm not surprised a bunch of people are running into issues.

One thing thing that Hiby should stress on the instructions is that if your computer does not recognize the device in flashing/bootloader mode, don't flash the firmware. I've been flashing android firmware since android cupcake and I've learned my lesson the hard way a few times.

Fortunately, after updating to Oreo, OTA updates should be able to continue for a while. I think it was nougat when they changed the partitioning. I can't remember.

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #5,110 of 6,622
At first I thought I was going to run into this problem but what had ended up happening was Windows 10 went into "test mode" which I don't think I've ever seen before. But basically it puts itself in test mode when using software that's not tested such as the driver Hiby provided. Still ended up working out but I'm not surprised a bunch of people are running into issues.

One thing thing that Hiby should stress on the instructions is that if your computer does not recognize the device in flashing/bootloader mode, don't flash the firmware. I've been flashing android firmware since android cupcake and I've learned my lesson the hard way a few times.

Fortunately, after updating to Oreo, OTA updates should be able to continue for a while. I think it was nougat when they changed the partitioning. I can't remember.

I'm a long time Windows user and have never seen "test mode" either! I was able to update, but not easily or smoothly. (Nowhere near the problems many others have encountered, though!) Then getting out of test mode was a hassle. Time for Hiby to intervene and provide concise and straightforward troubleshooting solutions to this install for their dedicated customers!

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #5,111 of 6,622
I'm a long time Windows user and have never seen "test mode" either! I was able to update, but not easily or smoothly. (Nowhere near the problems many others have encountered, though!) Then getting out of test mode was a hassle. Time for Hiby to intervene and provide concise and straightforward troubleshooting solutions to this install for their dedicated customers!

You got out of test mode?! How did you do that? I've been trying to figure it out.

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #5,112 of 6,622
You got out of test mode?! How did you do that? I've been trying to figure it out.
Through a Command Prompt run as Administrator. Do a Google search for it - I don't remember it, but it was short. There is also a YouTube video. (I'm away from my PC now, so no specifics, sorry)

Jan 3, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #5,113 of 6,622
PHHzFvh.png

lXlimVA.png

Did you restart after installing the Qualcomm drivers? Doing so should put the computer in Test Mode. Your computer needs to be in Test Mode in order for the drivers to function since the drivers don't have a valid digital signature. If your computer isn't in Test Mode, you'll need to follow a few steps.

1. Right click the Start Button on the Task Bar, then click Windows Powershell (admin) or Command Prompt (admin).

upload_2019-1-3_1-44-46.png

2. Input the following command then hit Enter: Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

3. Restart your computer

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #5,114 of 6,622
Did you restart after installing the Qualcomm drivers? Doing so should put the computer in Test Mode. Your computer needs to be in Test Mode in order for the drivers to function since the drivers don't have a valid digital signature. If your computer isn't in Test Mode, you'll need to follow a few steps.

1. Right click the Start Button on the Task Bar, then click Windows Powershell (admin) or Command Prompt (admin).

2. Input the following command then hit Enter: Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

3. Restart your computer

W!ell I'm going to try this today. I will get back if all is well.
Qnapper

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #5,115 of 6,622
Been at it since 9am and still no joy. Using windows 8 set in "test mode" and followed guide to the letter and what members have posted on here. After installing Qualcomm setup.exe and rebooting it still only shows USB mass storage device, so followed "driver installation guide and rebooted this time can see Qualcomm USB Composite Device 9001 (GREAT I thought........) BUT no com port showing!!! Then when I press buttons on both sides as shown in video the Qualcomm USB Composite Device 9001 disappears......

Can anyone help please as what little hair I have left is on the floor right now....... I have worked on computers since as was a lad, but this is just NOT fun......

Thanks for reading

Qnapper

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back