HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Dec 14, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #4,951 of 6,622
Good morning everyone. Thank you for everybody's input in here. It's greatly appreciated.

I am coming from Fiio X7ii; not because it's a bad player sound wise but it's because it's user experience and UI leaves a lot to be desired.

I thought Hiby R6 would solve this problem.

My only question now is- should I wait for the pro or should I get the original R6 for a discounted price?

I am only going to use it as a transport. I am using Aeon Flow closed and I have Campfire Jupiter.

Thank you again and have a great day!

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #4,952 of 6,622
Desperately need some help:

So this problem started happening recently. Some of my music files and folders refuse to show up on my computer. When I go to the file manager on the device, all the folders and files are there correctly and I can play them and discover them in any music app with no problem. If I create a subfolder in the music folder on the device, it won't show up on my computer, but if I try to create a folder on my computer, it will show up on the device just fine. If I try to create a folder and name it the same as one that is on the device but won't show up on my computer, it will refuse to change the name of the folder on my computer. The computer is also displaying the right amount of storage used/free on the device when connected. Basically, everything works as it's supposed to, except I can't get those subfolders to show up in file explorer on the computer. I've tried everything, showing hidden files and folders, and all that.

Anyone have any idea or suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #4,953 of 6,622
Good morning everyone. Thank you for everybody's input in here. It's greatly appreciated.

I am coming from Fiio X7ii; not because it's a bad player sound wise but it's because it's user experience and UI leaves a lot to be desired.

I thought Hiby R6 would solve this problem.

My only question now is- should I wait for the pro or should I get the original R6 for a discounted price?

I am only going to use it as a transport. I am using Aeon Flow closed and I have Campfire Jupiter.

Thank you again and have a great day!
Don't wait for the pro

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #4,954 of 6,622
Waiting for the R6 Pro
I am not very good at this waiting game.
I have tried asking HiBy, but they answered: "schedule date has not yet been determined and we cannot confirm with you."
When I asked again, they sendt me a link to their current sale on R6.
Probably a miscomunication.
The power output of the Pro speaks to me. But it has become harder and harder to wait for the Pro.
Especially when they got a deal on the R6 atm. And A&K got a sale on both KANN and A&Norma.
I thought getting my first DAP would be easy....

I think I'll just crawl under a rock for a few months.

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #4,955 of 6,622
I don't think it will add any benefit for you to change. If it's just a transport and you're going digital out, all the processing and amplifying is done somewhere else. I'm doing the same exact thing as you. I only bought the R6 because I wanted a dedicated device for music. I didn't want to use my smartphone for music anymore.

Just curious, why you buy such an expensive device + extra for an SD card just to use it as a
Waiting for the R6 Pro
I am not very good at this waiting game.
I have tried asking HiBy, but they answered: "schedule date has not yet been determined and we cannot confirm with you."
When I asked again, they sendt me a link to their current sale on R6.
Probably a miscomunication.
The power output of the Pro speaks to me. But it has become harder and harder to wait for the Pro.
Especially when they got a deal on the R6 atm. And A&K got a sale on both KANN and A&Norma.
I thought getting my first DAP would be easy....

I think I'll just crawl under a rock for a few months.

I spoke to them 2 days ago and they assured that Pro version is coming very soon. Don't want to speculate, but overall it seems like a range of 1-2 months.
In any case, if this is your first DAP — then just believe me, you don't need Pro for sure. Just use their current promotion 30% off and buy R6. You won't regret more rather if you miss this promotion and then realise that Pro is too expensive or don't need it. And I can assure you, for the first DAP u don't need smth what's called Pro with all the benefits for that price.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #4,956 of 6,622
Just curious, why you buy such an expensive device + extra for an SD card just to use it as a

I spoke to them 2 days ago and they assured that Pro version is coming very soon. Don't want to speculate, but overall it seems like a range of 1-2 months.
In any case, if this is your first DAP — then just believe me, you don't need Pro for sure. Just use their current promotion 30% off and buy R6. You won't regret more rather if you miss this promotion and then realise that Pro is too expensive or don't need it. And I can assure you, for the first DAP u don't need smth what's called Pro with all the benefits for that price.

According to my findings, the current sale is continuing until 3.january (According to FB post from HiBy Music)

The reason i want to wait for the Pro is Android 8.1 (scheduled soon(tm) for the R6). Power output. and 4.4 balanced.
I plan to get a set of Audeze LCD2 Classic in the future. And I currently have HE400i, and I want the DAP to be fairly able to power those.
(I am a bit spoiled with the power of the Schiit Jotunheim, but that particular portable)

In my stupid mind, if the Pro comes out at $650, it is worth the increase in price for the power output. and 4.4 jack.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #4,957 of 6,622

At the time I got the R6, I had a Samsung Galaxy S7 that was starting to have poor battery life. I was using it for daily use and as an audio player. I had a choice between buying the R6 or buy a new smartphone. I went with the R6. It's my first audio player since the original iPod. I already had a 128gb card in my S7 so I didn't need to buy a new one. I just transferred it to the R6. I want to use my phone as a phone for talk/text and email and social media. The R6 is purely for home and portable audio use. "Expensive" is subjective. To ME, the R6 is reasonably priced and not expensive. That's speaking for myself. Everyone has different relative views on price.

Dec 15, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #4,958 of 6,622
Thanks. I love the R6 connected to an outboard DAC. I just got a Schitt Jotunheim with the multibit DAC which I connect to the USB C connector. Use the Hiby for its "bit perfect" output and decent database and UI. I also connect to a Schitt Modi and Cavalli hybrid amp to Focal Elex. Very happy with this combination.

Dec 15, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #4,959 of 6,622
"Expensive" is subjective. To ME, the R6 is reasonably priced and not expensive. That's speaking for myself. Everyone has different relative views on price.

If you bought an A&K for a couple thousand, that would be "expensive." I considered using a laptop with Roon or something like that as a transport, but I couldn't quite figure out how to do it. I also like having the Hiby right at hand as I lie on the couch. Don't have to hop up and down as my musical mood changes.

Dec 15, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #4,960 of 6,622

I really think you should consider using it directly with Jupiters:

I have jupiter as well, and prefer the higher output impedance of r6 matched to it. Truly brings out the midrange a bit more while retaining that smooth treble. Bass is a little rolled off, but only slightly so. It takes the scooped out upper mids of Jupiter back inline to neutral. Plus it is DEAD silent. I don't have any other single ended (or balanced) output I've heard with Jupiter sound DEAD quiet. Absolutely zero hiss.

If only using it as a digital transport, I don't see why you need the R6 or R6 pro. Unless you're interested in the UI quality of the r6. Then I suppose I understand. But really, You can use any player with a digital out - but I'm sure the quality of the digital out varies. I don't have any experience with the R6 spdif output, so I'm sorry I can't be of help.

Just out of curiosity, what will you be feeding with the R6 transport?

Dec 15, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #4,961 of 6,622
I really think you should consider using it directly with Jupiters:

I have jupiter as well, and prefer the higher output impedance of r6 matched to it. Truly brings out the midrange a bit more while retaining that smooth treble. Bass is a little rolled off, but only slightly so. It takes the scooped out upper mids of Jupiter back inline to neutral. Plus it is DEAD silent. I don't have any other single ended (or balanced) output I've heard with Jupiter sound DEAD quiet. Absolutely zero hiss.

If only using it as a digital transport, I don't see why you need the R6 or R6 pro. Unless you're interested in the UI quality of the r6. Then I suppose I understand. But really, You can use any player with a digital out - but I'm sure the quality of the digital out varies. I don't have any experience with the R6 spdif output, so I'm sorry I can't be of help.

Just out of curiosity, what will you be feeding with the R6 transport?

First of all thank you for the detailed answer. I do appreciate it.

But I'm a little confused with your question. Maybe we don't mean the same thing when we say "transport". I meant it as I am going to use the R6 on the go. As a transportable device.

What did you mean?

I am sorry about the confusion. English is not my original language.

Dec 15, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #4,962 of 6,622
If you bought an A&K for a couple thousand, that would be "expensive." I considered using a laptop with Roon or something like that as a transport, but I couldn't quite figure out how to do it. I also like having the Hiby right at hand as I lie on the couch. Don't have to hop up and down as my musical mood changes.

A couple thousand for an portable audio player would definitely be expense to me for sure but I'm sure there's a bunch of people here that would say otherwise. Cost to happiness ratio. It's definitely nice having the Hiby on the side dedicated to audio.

Dec 15, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #4,963 of 6,622
First of all thank you for the detailed answer. I do appreciate it.

But I'm a little confused with your question. Maybe we don't mean the same thing when we say "transport". I meant it as I am going to use the R6 on the go. As a transportable device.

What did you mean?

I am sorry about the confusion. English is not my original language.
Aha, I understand now .usually when speaking of a 'transport' this means a device that will send files digitally to a DAC. So I assumed you would be using the hiby r6 coax output only feeding it to another DAC.

The r6 has been the best player I've owned in my opinion .Not only because of the sound quality but because I place a lot of emphasis on being able to use tidal in offline form bitperfect.

The only risk is the high output impedance. You'll never know if you like what it does to your earphones until you try it. But even then you can acquire an impedance adapter which remedies the issue.there is already a lot written on this subject so feel free to p.m. me and I can save you some time on the research.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #4,964 of 6,622
Went to try hibylink from an iPhone XS to the R6 today and its fubar'd. Anyone get it to work with this combo?

Dec 17, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #4,965 of 6,622
Update: Just heard back from Hiby via Messenger: screen protectors are factory applied.

Hi, all.
I just received my R6 (ordered from Hiby on Amazon.com )
Does Hiby still pre-apply the front & back screen protectors? I honestly can't tell by looking at my unit. There were 3 included in the box: looks like one plastic each for the front & back and a glass front protector.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back