HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Sep 15, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #4,396 of 6,627
Has the wifi improved at all?
In my experience wifi has always been a weak point on the hibys. Just by going to a different room from where your router is located makes the signal very weak. The 300r on the other hand has no such problems connecting to wifi but has a rather short battery life.

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #4,397 of 6,627
Just wondering if this formatting exercise will help? It's a brand new 128gb sandisk ultra and I find it hard to believe it's corrupt
well, I'm formatting using the official SD card tool. A full, complete format - not the quick format. Will report my findings. I hope this is card related, or software at worst. If it is r6 hardware related - hopefully @Joe Bloggs is responsive to warranty claims.

Sep 16, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #4,400 of 6,627
If Hiby needed crowdfund money there is 0% chance they would let a day go by without a guy on here.
That so true.
well, I'm formatting using the official SD card tool. A full, complete format - not the quick format. Will report my findings. I hope this is card related, or software at worst. If it is r6 hardware related - hopefully @Joe Bloggs is responsive to warranty claims.
If your getting a "this card is corrupt and needs formatting" on a PC then when the PC checks it finds no errors.
Then a format will not help.
I think its Hiby's files transfer or system file transfer to SD thats the problem.
I have the R3 also and it also behaves like this.
I'm religious in ejecting the DAPs from the PC correctly so it's not that.

Used the Tool to format which does help but eventually you start to get the message again.

No other DAP has this problem and cards have been swapped over etc so I am thinking its a Hiby problem.

Sep 16, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #4,401 of 6,627
A tad upsetting. ...

It doesn't seem to matter how you format the SD card - internal/removable. And formatting the long proper way using the SDcard.org tool made no difference. Tidal offline tracks will screw up - and you'll get the "missing" or "corrupt" SD card message - it's only a matter of time. I knew it was too good to be true. Offline Tidal without skips/glitches (yea Fiio looking at you) and no SRC. Well, I guess if you're willing to accept 25gigs as your Tidal music library, all is good. But to real folks who want more than 50 FLAC albums in their Tidal offline library - you're outta gas.

I guess I just need to shut the player down and boot fresh when I want to listen. That seems to be the only way I can avoid the card failure issue.

f Hiby needed crowdfund money there is 0% chance they would let a day go by without a guy on here.

OK, who's at Hiby, now that Joe is gone? Whom should I start working with for warranty claims? Any tips from you guys here? I'd rather work through this forum than another framework (preferably).

Sep 16, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #4,402 of 6,627
I've had problems with SanDisk cards in the past. The r6 doesn't play nicely with them for some reason. I stopped having problems once I switched to a Samsung card.

Sep 16, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #4,403 of 6,627
are you using tidal offline @QuadraKev ? I don't seem to have issues when using hiby music app. It's only with Tidal files accessing the SD card it seems. But, I may just try samsung. I'll grab one from Amazon and check that it's authentic. I think someone posted earlier in the thread about fakes and how to spot them. I'm sure I can find that post.

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #4,405 of 6,627
I don't know if the particular app used could affect the possibility of getting a corrupt card. On the other hand a fake card can definitely ruin your day, and a few R6's were also known to have trouble with its card reader circuitry--be especially on the lookout for cases where the card reports itself as having been ejected all of a sudden when you haven't touched the card slot.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 17, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #4,406 of 6,627
Are you sure G7 has quad dac I didn't find any information on LG website?
No LG device has more than one DAC chip inside. They have 4 of... *something*... inside their one DAC chip, which for all anyone knows most DACs on the market also has 4 of?
https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v20-quad-dac-explained-713587/

And if the benefit of the Quad DAC in the is higher DNR and THD
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...udiophile-features-mobile-devices-first-time/

... then compare the numbers on the ES9028Q2M as used on the R6
http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...mobile-dacs/sabre-hifi-stereo-dacs/es9028q2m/

... and note that actually putting two of the chips in parallel (as NOT done on any LG device) theoretically pushes each of these numbers up another 6dB.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 17, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #4,407 of 6,627
Okay so I received my Hiby R6 this morning and I must be doing something wrong or maybe it's faulty. First impressions are that this is a massive let down.

The key issues:
-Bass is weak and muddy. I'm shocked at how weak. And MSEB and Equalizer don't solve the issue, they just pile mud onto the sound and there's entire lyrics being distorted from a slight bass addition on the EQ. Eminem's new album in FLAC with a slight EQ tweak and a push towards bass extension and warmth distorts lyrics horribly. This is the most disappointing thing.

-My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with the Hiby app, a FLAC file and a Fiio A3 amp is better. Better bass and clearer sound at the same time

-Loud clicking noises when playing music, usually between pausing and swapping songs.

-Atrocious wifi. Doesn't work in the bedroom above the living room

-Spotify on R6 sounds much better than Galaxy Note 8 but if you add an A3 to both it's negligible.

-Bluetooth doesn't connect to my car's Kenwood stereo even though every phone I have works fine with it. Gives me a "pin code not recognised' error despite not prompting me for the pin. Useless for driving.

-Incredibly flat and dull sound without EQ although I admit it does sound clear and detailed and I can pick out instruments well and it goes louder than Note 8. But as above EQ distorts the sound horribly and overall it's coming off worse than A3+Note 8. And worse than my old Cowon J3 (rest in peace)

I'm not happy with the player at all at this point. I'm not the kind of person who has £500 to spare and I planned on using this player for years to come :frowning2:.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #4,408 of 6,627
Okay so I received my Hiby R6 this morning and I must be doing something wrong or maybe it's faulty. First impressions are that this is a massive let down.

The key issues:
-Bass is weak and muddy. I'm shocked at how weak. And MSEB and Equalizer don't solve the issue, they just pile mud onto the sound and there's entire lyrics being distorted from a slight bass addition on the EQ. Eminem's new album in FLAC with a slight EQ tweak and a push towards bass extension and warmth distorts lyrics horribly. This is the most disappointing thing.

-My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with the Hiby app, a FLAC file and a Fiio A3 amp is better. Better bass and clearer sound at the same time

-Loud clicking noises when playing music, usually between pausing and swapping songs.

-Atrocious wifi. Doesn't work in the bedroom above the living room

-Spotify on R6 sounds much better than Galaxy Note 8 but if you add an A3 to both it's negligible.

-Bluetooth doesn't connect to my car's Kenwood stereo even though every phone I have works fine with it. Gives me a "pin code not recognised' error despite not prompting me for the pin. Useless for driving.

-Incredibly flat and dull sound without EQ although I admit it does sound clear and detailed and I can pick out instruments well and it goes louder than Note 8. But as above EQ distorts the sound horribly and overall it's coming off worse than A3+Note 8. And worse than my old Cowon J3 (rest in peace)

I'm not happy with the player at all at this point. I'm not the kind of person who has £500 to spare and I planned on using this player for years to come :frowning2:.
Could be due to impedance mismatch. What gear are U using?

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #4,409 of 6,627
Could be due to impedance mismatch. What gear are U using?
I don't think impedance would be that much of an issue, the worst I've experienced is the isine20 bass being muddy. I actually don't mind the Andromeda straight from the r6 with EQ, and that's theoretically the worst pairing.

One thing I noticed when I got it is that the gain was too high in all the EQ settings. Try lowering the gain to -5 or so and see if that helps (far left bar on EQ). Otherwise, it sounds like yours is defective....

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #4,410 of 6,627
I was just listening to some music, and I noticed a notification that said the MicroSD was in the process of ejecting. I waited and after a while, the player told me the MicroSD was corrupted. I noticed this happened after adjusting the volume using the physical buttons. It's possible it is a hardware issue, but it could also be coincidence.

I turned the player off, removed the MicroSD, and plugged it into my computer where it prompted to to a disk scan. After doing this, Windows reported that there were no errors. I put the MicroSD back in, turned the player on, and it detected the MicroSD properly.

EDIT: I've done some fiddling around, and it seems that I've been able to consistently reproduce this issue. I don't think it's a hardware issue. When not playing music for a while, the player goes into a sleep mode (power button light turns off). If the player is woken up and the volume is lowered using the button while the screen is on, the MicroSD icon briefly appears in the notification tray.

If the player is woken up, the music is unpaused (order irrelevant), and the volume is lowered using the button while the screen is on, the MicroSD icon appears for longer, resulting in either Android flagging the MicroSD as corrupt (remedied by restarting) or the MicroSD correctly being remounted. I've noticed that this happens when using Neutron or using Hiby Music, so it is probably not app dependent. I've noticed this happen with 2.5mm output, 3.5mm output, and no connected output.

okay, I think you're onto something. I thought it was coincidence too, but have noticed the SD card issues after hitting the volume button. However, I'll have to pay more attention to this going forward to confirm it's not happening under other circumstances. I thought maybe it was due to 'hot swapping' SE and BAL output as I noticed at least two failures when I was comparing the outputs using my balanced cable with/without the SE adapter. What I mean by 'hot swapping' is that I would not allow the amp to click off before removing the cable.

Another reason I thought it may be related to swapping headphone outs is because I had good results today (only one fail with HOURS of offline tidal - various idle periods during meetings and subsequent wake ups when at my desk). I made sure to not unplug my headphones at all however and stuck with SE all day (amazing battery life BTW with SE). Come to think of it, I don't think I adjusted the volume with the screen on until after a track advanced, or maybe I didn't adjust the volume until the screen went off.

Will observe more and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back