HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
May 13, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #3,123 of 6,622
Chris @Hawaiibadboy already shared the news and the pictures of the upcoming MITER case for R6. I also got an opportunity to test one recently, and MITER was kind enough to even stamp Tw6 on the back panel. So, here is a mini review, actually more like a micro-review...

MITER cases are well known for their signature magnetic kickstand, as well as quality soft leather and secure fit. Kickstand is great when watching movies or videos, maybe even when listening to music with wireless headphones. The problem is that many DAPs don't have an adequate hardware to support smooth playback of movies/videos like you would expect on your smartphone. Hiby R6, with its powerful Snapdragon processor and 3GB of RAM, is actually perfect for that and kickstand addition is a welcome enhancement.

The case I received for testing is their prototype, with a final product to be available soon (actually, already available HERE). As expected, the leather material is soft and smooth, the construction is durable and lightweight. The DAP gets inserted from the top, where the case is fully open. The left side has covered Volume buttons with an imprinted +/- which is easy to ID by swiping a finger. The right side has power button open, for a clear view of LED light, and the Playback (play/pause and skip) buttons are covered with corresponding imprint of functionality symbol. Again, buttons are easy to feel by sliding your finger. The bottom has a generous usb-c port opening to accommodate different cables.

In comparison to an optional stock Hiby leather case, MITER case has a rounded sides with a more comfortable and secure grip. The kickstand panel on the back does add to the thickness, about 2mm. Though magnetic flap of the kickstand opens up to keep R6 in portrait orientation at about 45deg, you can also rotate R6 to view in landscape without a problem.

Unboxing.

Design.

Comparison to Hiby leather case.

The fit with R6.

Been asked by a number of people when this Miter R6 case will be available on Amazon, didn't realize it's already available there ($49.90).

May 13, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #3,124 of 6,622
IIRC, in Currawong's (Amos) HiBy R6 YouTube review, he showed that there is a place in the Settings Menu to Send a "Error Report" to HiBy for evaluation & bug fixes. Please watch at 12:19 mark....

Has anyone tried that sound field enhancement plugin currawong inherited on his loaner? Where would I buy and/or download that?

May 13, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #3,125 of 6,622
Oh so they did not fit well?

Not really, but it seems to be down to how my impressions were taken by my previous audiologist. Gone to a new one so hopefully this is it as I am sick and tired of refits. I wouldn't mind so much, but universals don't play well with my ears either so getting something that fits properly has been a right pita. Atm I'm using the Hiby R6 with a pair of Westone UM1's. Sounds good when I get a decent fit, but I struggle to get a consistent one.

May 13, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #3,126 of 6,622
Not really, but it seems to be down to how my impressions were taken by my previous audiologist. Gone to a new one so hopefully this is it as I am sick and tired of refits. I wouldn't mind so much, but universals don't play well with my ears either so getting something that fits properly has been a right pita. Atm I'm using the Hiby R6 with a pair of Westone UM1's. Sounds good when I get a decent fit, but I struggle to get a consistent one.

You should try a different cable with the westwoods. They dont have the stiff memory cable section around your ear. this helps in keeping them in place.
get a third party one .

May 14, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #3,127 of 6,622
These are my first impressions of my R6 in SS.

Background:
This is my first expensive portal dap. Before owning the R6 I would listen to these players( ipod 5 connected to a fiio E7 or venturcraft go dap, or an iphone 4 connected to an ifuzen or straight out of an iphone 5s and 6s and more recently a fiio X7 MK1 with am1/am3 amp).

Hardware:
The hardware is remarkable. Very heavy, like shockingly so. I've Never held a portable electronic device with this much weight...and I love it! The finish on the body and buttons is perfect. The screen is very good. Im very pleased with it. Sometimes i feel like the touch of the screen is not as responsive as I’d like. Im not sure if thats software or hardware related. Thats pretty much as techy as i can get with the hardware. Its just above my expectations so im happy. The wifi strength issues that are being reported may have some weight to them. Im also getting some performance degradation when not unreasonably away from my routers or waps.

Software:
The R6 is very snappy and its one of the reasons I purchased beyond sound quality. Im so used to using the idevices that I really didnt want to go backwards on a player in this aspect. It delivers well. I have not used the device to much yet. I'd say 2 hours total and Ive received two messages that google services had stopped. That is a bit of a bummer. I hope it doesnt become a common occurence. My only apps downloaded are Tidal and Google music. Cant remember what i was doing when it happened.

Sound:
Whoa! This thing blows my fiio x7 out of the water. I am using my Audeze Sine closed back. Im not an audiophile so I cant explain it well. I am a musician however and play in large groups weekly and i can tell you that this thing has a level of detail that i have never experienced on a player. As an example: my test track has a brass orchestra with a rhythm section. The brass section includes trumpets and trombones. I realized for the first time ever after hearing this track at least 100 times that the trombone section had bucket mutes on during one section of the music. On other players it just sounds like a dynamic change softer but on the R6 i can ‘feel’ the detail on this like when i do in a live performance. Very cool stuff!

NIce one hiby!

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #3,129 of 6,622
These are my first impressions of my R6 in SS.

Background:
This is my first expensive portal dap. Before owning the R6 I would listen to these players( ipod 5 connected to a fiio E7 or venturcraft go dap, or an iphone 4 connected to an ifuzen or straight out of an iphone 5s and 6s and more recently a fiio X7 MK1 with am1/am3 amp).

Hardware:
The hardware is remarkable. Very heavy, like shockingly so. Never heald a portable electronic device with this much weight...and I love it! The finish on the body and buttons is perfect. The screen is very good. Im very pleased with it. Sometimes i feel like the touch of the screen is not as responsive as I’d like. Im not sure if thats software or hardware related. Thats pretty much as techy as i can get with the hardware. Its just above my expectations so im happy. The wifi strength issues that are being reported may have some weight to them. Im also getting some performance degradation when not unreasonably away from my routers or waps.

Software:
The R6 is very snappy and its one of the reasons I purchased beyond sound quality. Im so used to using the idevices that I really didnt want to go backwards on a player in this aspect. It delivers well. I have not used the device too much yet. Id say 2 hours total and Ive received two messages that google services had stopped. That is a bit of a bummer. I hope it doesnt become a common occurence. My only apps downloaded are Tidal and Google music. Cant remember what i was doing when it happened.

Sound:
Whoa! This thing blows my fiio x7 out of the water. I am using my Audeze Sine closed back. Im not an audiophile so I cant explain it well. I am a musician however and play in large groups weekly and i can tell you that this thing has a level of detail that i have never experienced on a player. As an example: my test track has a brass orchestra with a rhythm section. The brass section includes trumpets and trombones. I realized for the first time ever after hearing this track at least 100 times that the trombone section had bucket mutes on during one section of the music. On other players it just sounds like a dynamic change softer but on the R6 i can ‘feel’ the detail on this like when i do in a live performance. Very cool stuff!

NIce one hiby!
Thanks for your observations. I also have some problems with the touchscreen. What headphones or IEMs are you using?

May 14, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #3,130 of 6,622
Id be more than willing to crowdfund a unit for someone on xda to develop a custom rom with constant updates for a few years. My oneplus one never sees the light of day except when i’m bored and flash it once in a while for fun; its still being developed for roms for usability and security updates.

Some of you will think HiBy should be providing frequent bug fixes, and time will tell. To be fair look at the big android manufacturers. Their devices are way more polished out the gate, but updates are far and between.

May 14, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #3,131 of 6,622
Thanks for your observations. I also have some problems with the touchscreen. What headphones or IEMs are you using?

Hi, so far my listening has been with a pair of Audeze Sine closed back.

May 14, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #3,132 of 6,622
i searched and also emailed them, no answer
when hiby r3 or r6 will sell in amazon or directly?
i have my own problems with the current avaiable buying system, prefer dont comment it

or will it ever be sold outside this. xd

May 14, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #3,133 of 6,622
This morning I received my R6.
Initial impressions are very good - no colouration to the music nor any sharp edges so far. I also haven't experienced any issues with the microSD card. I installed an 128GB microSD full of music and it played out of the box after a full scan.

However, like almost everyone else has commented, WIFI reception is astonishingly poor! I'm only able to stay connected to my network when I'm in the living room where my Ubiquiti Acess point is mounted on the ceiling.

May 14, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #3,134 of 6,622

I’m having problems with the touch screen in Tidal. A lot of times it doesn’t register to touch. I’m pretty sure it’s just with Tidal. Tidal doesn’t like the R6 at all. On the R6 I’m using UAPP exclusively.

May 14, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #3,135 of 6,622
I’m having problems with the touch screen in Tidal. A lot of times it doesn’t register to touch. I’m pretty sure it’s just with Tidal. Tidal doesn’t like the R6 at all. On the R6 I’m using UAPP exclusively.
My touch screen completely died. It started not registering touches and firm touches made the screen slowly fade and die. It's been dead for a while I still have to send it back but it sucks that I have to pay to get it to Hong Kong.

Edit . Word

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back