HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Nov 19, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #106 of 6,622
@IneffableMusic : Yes, wired listening is still so far better SQ than the current technology of bluetooth. It just increases diversity of usage. ESS9038Q2M is not desktop chip.. that desktop edition called 'ESS9038PRO'. So ESS9038Q2M will not heavily consume power likes 'PRO' series. and only 'a' device that using ESS9038Q2M is Vivo XPlay6. (I guess ESS and VIVO did the exclusive contract or whatever) If you could get a chance to try Vivo XPlay6, you should try it.

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...debuts-vivos-new-xplay-6-flagship-smartphone/

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #107 of 6,622
@IneffableMusic : Yes, wired listening is still so far better SQ than the current technology of bluetooth. It just increases diversity of usage. ESS9038Q2M is not desktop chip.. that desktop edition called 'ESS9038PRO'. So ESS9038Q2M will not heavily consume power likes 'PRO' series. and only 'a' device that using ESS9038Q2M is Vivo XPlay6. (I guess ESS and VIVO did the exclusive contract or whatever) If you could get a chance to try Vivo XPlay6, you should try it.
Too bad Vivo XPlay6 has no memory card slot, only 128GB internal memory. Really hard to understand how one can design such a device, obviously having the audio buff in mind, with a storage limitation like this. Dum

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #108 of 6,622
@jeffhawke : Haha I knew. Another Flagship smartphone style likes iPhone. Speaking of only audio circuit, if Vivo XPlay6 could offer 2.5mm BL output, it will become EPIC, but it is just 3.5mm SE ouput.. Despite it can be balanced..since it use 3 Amp at the last chain ( Dual Amp for L and R then combine both via the last one AMP)..... I ever tried Vivo XPlay6 and admit how great of its sound. Hopefully ESS9038Q2M will become public for other companies soon.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #109 of 6,622
@jeffhawke : Haha I knew. Another Flagship smartphone style likes iPhone. Speaking of only audio circuit, if Vivo XPlay6 could offer 2.5mm BL output, it will become EPIC, but it is just 3.5mm SE ouput.. Despite it can be balanced..since it use 3 Amp at the last chain ( Dual Amp for L and R then combine both via the last one AMP)..... I ever tried Vivo XPlay6 and admit how great of its sound. Hopefully ESS9038Q2M will become public for other companies soon.
Honestly, the storage limitation bothers me a lot more than the absence of balanced output. I think I'll just wait until the day I can lay my hands on the R6...

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #110 of 6,622

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...debuts-vivos-new-xplay-6-flagship-smartphone/
I meant it would be cool to see either the desktop "pro" version or 2 q2m's in the r6, although I don't think they would use the pro due to power consumption. Still excited nonetheless about 2 9028q2m's in the r6 if they go through with it. I think has potential to be one of the best in it's range imo. Ah, I see what you mean. So you have all your music on one device, can switch to bluetooth if you need some wires out of the way, more convenient that way etc.

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #111 of 6,622
Coming from the lg v10 I'm shocked how well these phones can cost. If you're getting a phone anyway they can be nice. I've heard these hifi phones can keep up with products like the fiio x3 and x5, but not with the products a step above in price like the x7, astell & kern etc. I could believe that as the more expensive ones usually have more in depth circuit design (dual dacs or a single desktop one, higher end amps or dual amp chips as well as perhaps more implementation techniques being used). As good as I think the vivo could sound I don't picture it being in the same league as the x7ii and hiby r6. It'd be cool as a secondary less serious device though if you have a bulky dap, besides the non expandable storage.

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #112 of 6,622
Since Hiby starts jumping in DAP business, it is really a good sign for us. With their experience background, I sure that they know very well how Android OS work with Audio and are keen to build music apps. Moreover, this is not the first time of Hiby cause they'd ever worked as partner with Hidiz AP200 or Shanling M3s. R6 is very interesting.

By the way, microSD Sandisk 400GB already come out, and many DAP companies confirm that their products are compatible to 400GB. Hopefully R6 will compatible to.

Nov 19, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #113 of 6,622
Since Hiby starts jumping in DAP business, it is really a good sign for us. With their experience background, I sure that they know very well how Android OS work with Audio and are keen to build music apps. Moreover, this is not the first time of Hiby cause they'd ever worked as partner with Hidiz AP200 or Shanling M3s. R6 is very interesting.

By the way, microSD Sandisk 400GB already come out, and many DAP companies confirm that their products are compatible to 400GB. Hopefully R6 will compatible to.
I believe that the latest MicroSd devices can take up to a 2TB Card, When/If they start making bigger than 400GB ones... But a card that big might cause problems with hitting track limits that most players have.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #114 of 6,622
I believe that the latest MicroSd devices can take up to a 2TB Card, When/If they start making bigger than 400GB ones... But a card that big might cause problems with RAM not being able to hold so many track data, IF 16/44 or lower quality MP3 quality is used...
IMO the amount of RAM used shouldn't be a problem when reading or loading tracks as all tracks are not loaded into memory while playing.

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #115 of 6,622
@superuser1 : My point is not CPU speed.. but Bluetooth 5.0 supported. Sadly no any SD 400 series support Bluetooth 5.0.

in Android 8.0 I heard it will supported aptx-HD and LDAC from start.. Sony might charge LDAC license only earphones/headphones product..

LDAC is baked into the v8 Android OS, I don't believe anyone needs to pay for a license once they're approved by google to use the OS.

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #117 of 6,622
I thought that LDAC (or APTX-HD) had to be part of the SOC (i.e. newer snapdragons) for OREO to then make it available for use ??? I could be wrong... But don't think it is actually part of the newest Android, just that Oreo will allow it if it's already on the SOC...

It ports with the OS and since its just a codec, it integrates with the Bluetooth stack so any device with the OS can use it. You can read Oreo stuff here

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #118 of 6,622
@Kervsky : Until now, I still don't see any LDAC-supported earphones/headphones/speakers.. that are not SONY products yet.. So I think Sony might charge their LDAC license.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #119 of 6,622
@Kervsky : Until now, I still don't see any LDAC-supported earphones/headphones/speakers.. that are not SONY products yet.. So I think Sony might charge their LDAC license.

If you were Sony, and you had ldac (bigger file transfers than apt-x hd) how would you market it? If it's tacked only on the Sony ecosystem, they won't make as much profit from their much lauded tech. So I think Sony gave Google LDAC tech to be embeded in the OS of Oreo and its successors, modern phones with oreo get ldac, then, ideally, people who want better Bluetooth audio buy sony headsets, other manufacturers see the potential revenue, buy licensing for their headsets from sony, then the tech becomes more present and provides sony better revenue than with a closed sale ecosystem.

So the ldac in oreo is just the seed, likely in time, it will bear fruit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back