HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Nov 8, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #6,601 of 6,623
Right that's it, i've retired my R6! I can't get it to connect to my car using Bluetooth anymore, it won't play properly using my bluetooth IEM's and the balanced audio port is now failing and the charging port is feeling a bit dodgy. Oh and the back has smashed and i can see the internals.

May 14, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #6,602 of 6,623
Hey guys, any advice would be appreciated. My well cared for R62020 won’t read my SD card and it won’t put out any audio via the audio ports (balanced, single ended or line out. Bluetooth works tho.) A factory reset didn’t fix it nor did toggling any of the audio settings off and on. Anyone else expedited this? Any idea what happened and how I might fix it?

May 14, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #6,603 of 6,623
Hey guys, any advice would be appreciated. My well cared for R62020 won’t read my SD card and it won’t put out any audio via the audio ports (balanced, single ended or line out. Bluetooth works tho.) A factory reset didn’t fix it nor did toggling any of the audio settings off and on. Anyone else expedited this? Any idea what happened and how I might fix it?
oof, that’s rough. So many having hw issues from the original r6. I’m getting pretty nervous mine may be next.

i’d say if it was just audio or just sd, then try cleaning contacts cuz that’s sometimes worked for me, but since you’re having multiple physical port issues, i think it’s more likely a hw issue, as in board level hw issue.

May 14, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #6,604 of 6,623
oof, that’s rough. So many having hw issues from the original r6. I’m getting pretty nervous mine may be next.

i’d say if it was just audio or just sd, then try cleaning contacts cuz that’s sometimes worked for me, but since you’re having multiple physical port issues, i think it’s more likely a hw issue, as in board level hw issue.
Thanks for the reply, I figured as much. Do you know of any option for repair? I picked up a bluetooth to 2.5 transmitter to buy myself a little time before buying another dap.

May 14, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #6,605 of 6,623
Thanks for the reply, I figured as much. Do you know of any option for repair? I picked up a bluetooth to 2.5 transmitter to buy myself a little time before buying another dap.
Wish i did. I love the convenience of the r6, but lately i’ve been the mojo2 almost exclusively, with the poly or duoo x10tii.

I use the r6 pretty much only when the main dap needs recharging.

However, when i got the r6 through kicjstarter, the usbc port wasn’t working so i sent it back and they fixed it rather than sending me a new one (a few scratches on one corner prior to sending back is how i knew the returned unit was repaired and not replaced). I still had to pay shipping.

Hiby might still do repairs, not sure of the cost though)

May 14, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #6,606 of 6,623
Observation:

Maybe it’s time to edit the topic title to just “HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out”?

Jun 6, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #6,607 of 6,623
I keep coming back to this forum to see if anyone else has had more luck than me with the R6 which has been imitating a £400 paperweight for the last year. Usual stuff, battery holds charge for a nanosecond, so I can rarely force it to start. On the odd occasion it does deign to boot up, on playing a track it immediately shuts down and cannot be restarted again. Not being an Android man, I really have no idea what to do with it. Such a shame as for the comparatively short time I used it the sound was great. I gave up and bought a 7th Gen iPod Touch and an iFi Hipdac which are flawless In operation and battery life. Does anybody think the R6 is worth putting into an Android phone repair shop, or is It too different a beast for them to have a go at?

Jun 6, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #6,608 of 6,623
I keep coming back to this forum to see if anyone else has had more luck than me with the R6 which has been imitating a £400 paperweight for the last year. Usual stuff, battery holds charge for a nanosecond, so I can rarely force it to start. On the odd occasion it does deign to boot up, on playing a track it immediately shuts down and cannot be restarted again. Not being an Android man, I really have no idea what to do with it. Such a shame as for the comparatively short time I used it the sound was great. I gave up and bought a 7th Gen iPod Touch and an iFi Hipdac which are flawless In operation and battery life. Does anybody think the R6 is worth putting into an Android phone repair shop, or is It too different a beast for them to have a go at?

I believe this is most likely a bad battery. I had my battery go out on me. (original R6) It would boot loop. I purchased a battery from Ali express and a back cover straight from Hiby because you may break yours (most likely) while removing. You then remove a few small screws which exposes the battery. The battery is then attached with an adhesive. I unsoldered the old battery and resoldered the new one in place. It is not that hard. I do not solder. I've dont it maybe 5 times in my life. The trickiest part was removing the back cover. But if you use one of the iPhone repair kits from Amazon with the suction cup and the heating pad thingy I think it would have gone better. Good luck, there is hope. lol

Jun 7, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #6,609 of 6,623
I gave up and bought a 7th Gen iPod Touch and an iFi Hipdac which are flawless In operation and battery life.

Hey, thanks, it's good to know that our hip-dac works well with a DAP as old as that iPod. I assume that its internal storage isn't to much of an issue, is it?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 7, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #6,610 of 6,623
Hey, thanks, it's good to know that our hip-dac works well with a DAP as old as that iPod. I assume that its internal storage isn't to much of an issue, is it?
HipDac is amazing, iPod is actually only a couple of yrs old and has 256gig of storage which holds many hundreds of hi-res albums. The pair attached with nano tape is a perfect combination.

Jun 7, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #6,611 of 6,623
I believe this is most likely a bad battery. I had my battery go out on me. (original R6) It would boot loop. I purchased a battery from Ali express and a back cover straight from Hiby because you may break yours (most likely) while removing. You then remove a few small screws which exposes the battery. The battery is then attached with an adhesive. I unsoldered the old battery and resoldered the new one in place. It is not that hard. I do not solder. I've dont it maybe 5 times in my life. The trickiest part was removing the back cover. But if you use one of the iPhone repair kits from Amazon with the suction cup and the heating pad thingy I think it would have gone better. Good luck, there is hope. lol
Hi, thanks for the reply. Certainly willing to give a repair a go as I’m not too bad with soldering etc. and don’t have much to lose really. What was the battery part No from Ali Express? there seems to be a myriad of different ones on there.

Jun 8, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #6,612 of 6,623
Hi, thanks for the reply. Certainly willing to give a repair a go as I’m not too bad with soldering etc. and don’t have much to lose really. What was the battery part No from Ali Express? there seems to be a myriad of different ones on there.
I couldn't find a part number but here is the URL to the part I ordered. I clicked on the Hiby R6 option once on the page.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803460470920.html

If this link doesn't work then put in 3256803460470920 into the search at Ali express

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #6,613 of 6,623
Jul 14, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #6,614 of 6,623
I just picked up a used original Hiby R6 player. I want to connect my Chord Mojo 2 DAC, I have USB-C to USB-C (ddhifi cable) and I also have an orignal Hiby USB-C to 3.5mm COAX cable, none of them seem to give me sound via the mojo when streaming from Qobuz or Spotify? I have tried COAX and SPdif settings on the R6 settings menu, I have also tried both cables and still get no sound out of the mojo. Any ideas ?

IMG_2052.jpeg

Jul 14, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #6,615 of 6,623
Im impressed that this thread is still active! Even r6 2020 stopped back in feb 2021. I have to say even though i sold my r6 years ago it was an impressive dap for the time mseb was a game changer. A shame the oi was oddly very high causing sensitive iems to sound muddy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back