HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Sep 3, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #4,261 of 6,622
A quick rundown of the announcements from last Saturday's HiBy OS event:
1. The R6 will get an Android 8.1 update later this year.
2. MQA support will be added.
3. The USB driver has been totally re-written. It will be more stable, compatible, as well as an improvement in performance.
4. HWA (LHDC) support will be added.
5. A TV version of the HiBy OS is currently under developing.
6. More features will also be added in the future.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 3, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #4,263 of 6,622
A quick rundown of the announcements from last Saturday's HiBy OS event:
1. The R6 will get an Android 8.1 update later this year.
2. MQA support will be added.
3. The USB driver has been totally re-written. It will be more stable, compatible, as well as an improvement in performance.
4. HWA (LHDC) support will be added.
5. A TV version of the HiBy OS is currently under developing.
6. More features will also be added in the future.

Great news to hear the original R6 will receive the 8.1 update, as well as other new features.

On point 2, will MQA be supported through native Tidal app?

Sep 3, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #4,264 of 6,622
R6 Pro features with Android 8.1, 4.4mm Headphone out instead of 2.5 mm jack, lower output impedance, and revised electronic components inside e.g. capactiors, 4 * MUSE8920 Amp chip, etc.

Sep 3, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #4,265 of 6,622
Sounds like this R6 Pro is what the R6 should’ve been? Hmmmm.

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #4,267 of 6,622
R6 Pro features with Android 8.1, 4.4mm Headphone out instead of 2.5 mm jack, lower output impedance, and revised electronic components inside e.g. capactiors, 4 * MUSE8920 Amp chip, etc.

The lower output impedance would be great. Pardon me if its an amateurish question to ask but what the pros/cons between the two form factors (2.5mm/4.4mm) that prompted the change to 4.4mm?

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #4,268 of 6,622
The lower output impedance would be great. Pardon me if its an amateurish question to ask but what the pros/cons between the two form factors (2.5mm/4.4mm) that prompted the change to 4.4mm?

A more robust connection. Some people break the 2.5mm when on the go.
No sonic difference.

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #4,269 of 6,622
@ChickenFeed : Nowadays a 4.4 mm jack is restricted to most TOTL DAPs. 4.4 mm has 5-pole while 2.5 mm has 4-pole. There is no same circuit but different only on 4.4 mm / 2.5 mm jack avialable in the DAP market. With this reason it is still impossible to A/B comparison for end-users. However Based on science, 4.4 mm will have higher conductivity due to the higher area of contact. If you are go deep into the upgraded cables world, you might see Hansounds VENOM. Its configuration is trying lengthen the ground from DAP housing to more outside, and many said it improves SQ, blacker background. Therefore, if that DAP utilize to connect the last five pole to the DAP housing and then when plug-in a 4.4 mm plug, It will lengthen the ground more, also for the last benefit actually 4.4mm can be both balanced and single-end "IF" a DAP designer fully utilizes their audio circuit with 4.4 mm output, however nowadays there is nothing.

I ever read Thai article one about 4.4mm, here. though you may use google translate for reading.

Update : The original Japanese article is here.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #4,270 of 6,622
@ChickenFeed : Nowadays a 4.4 mm jack is restricted to most TOTL DAPs. 4.4 mm has 5-pole while 2.5 mm has 4-pole. There is no same circuit but different only on 4.4 mm / 2.5 mm jack avialable in the DAP market. With this reason it is still impossible to A/B comparison for end-users. However Based on science, 4.4 mm will have higher conductivity due to the higher area of contact. If you are go deep into the upgraded cables world, you might see Hansounds VENOM. Its configuration is trying lengthen the ground from DAP housing to more outside, and many said it improves SQ, blacker background. Therefore, if that DAP utilize to connect the last five pole to the DAP housing and then when plug-in a 4.4 mm plug, It will lengthen the ground more, also for the last benefit actually 4.4mm can be both balanced and single-end "IF" a DAP designer fully utilizes their audio circuit with 4.4 mm output, however nowadays there is nothing.

I ever read Thai article one about 4.4mm, here. though you may use google translate for reading.

Update : The original Japanese article is here.

I question the “science.” If a more extended contact area truly makes a difference, then let’s make 10mm plugs. Surely, the sound will be supreme…

“Nowadays a 4.4 mm jack is restricted to most TOTL DAPs.”

This statement actually touches obliquely on the source behind the 4.4mm standard, a Sony innovation, so to speak, that was devise to counter A&K dominance. From their viewpoint, if one buys Sony, one commits to Sony’s echo system. Somewhat a sinister way to chain the customer to your products. Introducing 2.5mm Titanium coated in gold plugs would go a long way to make them more durable.

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #4,272 of 6,622
Sorry I am not a English native speaker. I mean currently mostly 4.4 mm headphone out DAPs are Flagship Level of each brands. They are no 4.4 mm output entry level DAP avialable now. It doesn't mean AK 2.5 mm DAP is worse or better than 4.4 mm DAPs, Cause they are different audio circuit design inside.

4.4 mm is not SONY standard, It is JEITA standard. Everyone can utilize this 4.4 mm without needing to paid any license or patent fee. I didn't graduate from a sound-science doctoral degree, master degree or etc. I answers @ChickenFeed based on what I read. They might do some calculation that 4.4 is the best. I have no idea too why it don't become 4.5, 4.6, or 5.0. This beyond my basic high-school science knowledge.

By the way, Likes this case, Hiby R6 Pro, If It doesn't have something good why Hiby R6 Pro is decided to utilize 4.4 mm instead of 2.5mm. Also, Cowon Plenue L, the newest flagship Korea DAP, just be announced that it will come with 4.4 mm output.

Canyin 4.4.jpg

Hiby R6 Pro 01.jpg
Hiby R6 Pro 01.jpg

LPG 4.4.jpg

Cowon 4.4.jpg

Attachments

• Questyle 4.4.jpg
    Questyle 4.4.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #4,273 of 6,622
I agree that more surface area can of course have more conductivity, but is it of any use for millivolt audio application? Just as higher-guage wire may be needed for long lengths but not short. It matters much more for higher voltage and amperage drain. And the quality (conductivity) of better metals can be equally as important. But the biggest benefit is just the balanced connection to begin with, getting rid of "common" ground.

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #4,275 of 6,622
I've known just only I previously stated. We need further official technical specs announcement from Hiby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back