HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
May 24, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #3,361 of 6,628
Question / poll regarding HiBy Music album art.

I have all of the album artwork displaying properly EXCEPT when I go to Artist and change the context from track view to album view. This seems to be a shambles when there are more than 4 or 5 albums. Any other view has the album art displaying perfectly - ironically I tend to listen to music via this route so I see broken artwork a lot.

Firstly, can someone who is not having artwork issues please see if this view is good for them. THANK YOU!

I'm no expert in DAP hardware, but I am actually an expert in graphics formats so I have to ask the community of people who are having no issues at all to comment on their setup.
Here's mine:
- all artwork extracted to cover.jpg
- baseline, non-progressive JPG
- 500x500 or smaller, but nothing under 300x300
- FLAC files sorted in folder hierarchy of Artist->Album
- 1 cover.jpg per album folder
- around 3500 FLAC files in total

I've gone through the recommended clear-out and re-scans and seem to come to the same result.
All of these covers work perfectly when embedded as-is and used on a Sony NW-ZX300, which I regard as being one of the fussiest DAPs I've used recently for cover artwork.

Any feedback welcome.

Hey,
I have about 240 GB of albums in AIFF on two external SD cards. I downloaded this via my iTunes library. The cover size ranges from 200x200 to over 1600x1600 and are all JPG. The cards were scanned and installed. The result is perfect only but for two albums. Those 2 albums have received a cover from Hiby. In my iTunes library all albums have been manually or automatically given the right cover. The Hiby music player (program) had no problem with this. I have to say that I don't understand the sentence: "when I go to Artist and change the context from track view to album view. This seems to be a shambles when there are more than 4 or 5 albums." and so I can't imitate that on my player. Sorry if you therefor can't use this comment .
I have about 240 GB of albums in AIFF on two external SD cards. I downloaded this via my iTunes library. The cover size ranges from 200x200 to over 1600x1600 and are all JPG. The cards were scanned and installed. The result is perfect only but for two albums. Those 2 albums have received a cover from Hiby. In my iTunes library all albums have been manually or automatically given the right cover. The Hiby music player (program) had no problem with this. I have to say that I don't understand the sentence: "when I go to Artist and change the context from track view to album view. This seems to be a shambles when there are more than 4 or 5 albums." and so I can't imitate that on my player. Sorry if you therefor can't use this comment .

May 24, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #3,362 of 6,628
Hey,
Thought I’d add a couple of screenshots to explain what I mean about Artist->Album view:
E9261C7C-91E0-4DFA-AA31-BAA9426A5392.jpeg
8C42EC4F-39CD-408C-A2DD-4C81F168FC93.jpeg

HOWEVER, I’ve found something new while playing around...
- clear all album art (by this I mean clear HiBy data, delete all album art using the file manager etc)
- perform a new scan in HiBy
- go to Album view and scroll all the way to the bottom (as per JoeBloggs directions)
- go to Artist view and choose an artist that has a lot of albums
- while in track view on that artist (like the second image above), scroll all the way to the bottom, allowing all artwork to load.
- now, switching to Artist->Album everything shows properly...

It’s a real fuss, but both outcomes (missing album art and fully showing art) is reproducible.

@JoeBloggs : any chance this could be done automatically by the software and not have to go through this manually to fix display issues?

Cheers.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #3,363 of 6,628
Question / poll regarding HiBy Music album art.

I have all of the album artwork displaying properly EXCEPT when I go to Artist and change the context from track view to album view. This seems to be a shambles when there are more than 4 or 5 albums. Any other view has the album art displaying perfectly - ironically I tend to listen to music via this route so I see broken artwork a lot.

Firstly, can someone who is not having artwork issues please see if this view is good for them. THANK YOU!

I'm no expert in DAP hardware, but I am actually an expert in graphics formats so I have to ask the community of people who are having no issues at all to comment on their setup.
Here's mine:
- all artwork extracted to cover.jpg
- baseline, non-progressive JPG
- 500x500 or smaller, but nothing under 300x300
- FLAC files sorted in folder hierarchy of Artist->Album
- 1 cover.jpg per album folder
- around 3500 FLAC files in total

I've gone through the recommended clear-out and re-scans and seem to come to the same result.
All of these covers work perfectly when embedded as-is and used on a Sony NW-ZX300, which I regard as being one of the fussiest DAPs I've used recently for cover artwork.

Any feedback welcome.

Have you tried the following as it worked for me. You will need to update to the newest firmware using the Wireless update app.

Try this for your album art:
1. Clear its data thats in the setting,storage &usb,Internal storage,apps, then choose Hiby. You can clear data here.
2. Also use the file manager to delete the HiByMusic/AlbumArt directory on your device (assuming no music is stored there)
3. Start HiByMusic again and manually start a music scan (it will crash once because of all the data cleared; this is normal)
4. Once the scan is complete, go to the "albums" list (importantly, do NOT go to the Artists list) and scroll through all the albums on your device until all available album art are loaded.

Apparently all album art will load properly this way (and not e.g. if you start off by viewing albums under an artist). We're still figuring out why this happens and how to fix it.

Kudos to Ken Powers in the HiBy User Group facebook group for discovering this pattern.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #3,364 of 6,628
Have you tried the following as it worked for me. You will need to update to the newest firmware using the Wireless update app.

Try this for your album art:
1. Clear its data thats in the setting,storage &usb,Internal storage,apps, then choose Hiby. You can clear data here.
2. Also use the file manager to delete the HiByMusic/AlbumArt directory on your device (assuming no music is stored there)
3. Start HiByMusic again and manually start a music scan (it will crash once because of all the data cleared; this is normal)
4. Once the scan is complete, go to the "albums" list (importantly, do NOT go to the Artists list) and scroll through all the albums on your device until all available album art are loaded.

Apparently all album art will load properly this way (and not e.g. if you start off by viewing albums under an artist). We're still figuring out why this happens and how to fix it.

Kudos to Ken Powers in the HiBy User Group facebook group for discovering this pattern.
Thanks for the reply. For me this helps for artists that I only have 1 or 2 albums loaded, but for many albums I get issues unless I perform the steps I outlined above in my previous post. It does eventually work, but it's a PITA...

May 24, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #3,365 of 6,628
Thanks for the reply. For me this helps for artists that I only have 1 or 2 albums loaded, but for many albums I get issues unless I perform the steps I outlined above in my previous post. It does eventually work, but it's a PITA...

What firmware do you have?
What I found is that the first track is the issue for Hibys Album view.
Does the first track when you view in albums mode not show the art and the rest do?
If so then the advise i gave should work.
If all the tracks in the album view dont work then its a tag issue.

Also adding new track/albums you need to go through the clear data thing again.
Sometimes just scrolling through albums sorts it.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #3,367 of 6,628
Can anyone confirm if the following would work?

At times I would like to use the R6 as a transport for Tidal offline content to another DAC and still be able to use the R6's EQ. I would think this would work but do not know if any functionality is limited to DAP mode vs transport mode.

May 24, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #3,368 of 6,628
Can anyone confirm if the following would work?

At times I would like to use the R6 as a transport for Tidal offline content to another DAC and still be able to use the R6's EQ. I would think this would work but do not know if any functionality is limited to DAP mode vs transport mode.

It works in my experience, using something like FiiO Q5, I still can tweak the EQ on R6 in its Hiby app :)

May 24, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #3,370 of 6,628
What firmware do you have?
What I found is that the first track is the issue for Hibys Album view.
Does the first track when you view in albums mode not show the art and the rest do?
If so then the advise i gave should work.
If all the tracks in the album view dont work then its a tag issue.

Also adding new track/albums you need to go through the clear data thing again.
Sometimes just scrolling through albums sorts it.
Thanks for the post.
I'm on the latest build (1.19G) which does behave better with the first track issue I found occasionally on the first firmware. I definitely have to scroll through all of the tracks when viewing an artist for the covers to show up properly in the Artist->Album view. Once this shows correctly it stays fixed. Just a drag if I have to reset the database for some reason.

Otherwise, the SS R6 has performed very well for me, including wi-fi range.

May 24, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #3,371 of 6,628
Thanks for the post.
I'm on the latest build (1.19G) which does behave better with the first track issue I found occasionally on the first firmware. I definitely have to scroll through all of the tracks when viewing an artist for the covers to show up properly in the Artist->Album view. Once this shows correctly it stays fixed. Just a drag if I have to reset the database for some reason.

Otherwise, the SS R6 has performed very well for me, including wi-fi range.

I'm sure Hiby will suss out this bug.

My Wifi seems to be Ok too.
The house is brick with some interior 9" walls and the R6 picks up wifi as well as my sony mobile.

It funny as the Hiby app just needs a few tweaks.
Going into album view first rather than track view when selecting an artist would be handy.

May 24, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #3,372 of 6,628
How can I control music playback from my iphone x via hibylink?
Ive tried
1) Connect r6 to iphone x access point. No success
2)Connect r6 to iphone via bluetooth. Same
3)Connect both to wifi network. Same
This may have been already answered, but I think you need an Android phone to make it work.

May 24, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #3,374 of 6,628
Good to know. The app in the Apple App Store makes no mention of Hibylink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back