HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Feb 15, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #1,487 of 6,622
@Hawaiibadboy already took all the good photos in SS

LOL

I should be getting it back tomorrow and I got some good shots ready to take

giphy.gif

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #1,488 of 6,622
I just unpacked my grey aluminium one. It feels awesome in the hand, the OS is fast and the display is amazing. I had the Fiio X5 3rd gen before but was at times annoyed at how laggy the interface was due to the processor and RAM limitations. It's quite late, I can post pictures of it tomorrow if anybode wants to see the grey one.

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #1,489 of 6,622
I thought the reviews and notice about proper impedance were fools gold. But man, my favorite on-the-go iems, are the oriveti new primacy, but they are literally NOT an option with the R6 at all. The R6 completely changes the sound of the iems, removes the life out of them completely. One positive is that I was planning to sell my Oppo Pm-3's as they don't mate as well with my other daps, but they sound absolutely fantastic out of both outputs of the R6 (especially the balanced of course). Talk about bringing the life out of them. They still don't have the most bottom, but wow the midrange is rather exhilarating. What iems are folks getting the best use off the R6, I don't know of any high impedance iems. I read a review that stated single driver iems also are recommended.

As milesjunkie pointed out, $40 iematch will easily solve this problem. And they (ifi) soon will have 2.5mm version too.

Feb 15, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #1,491 of 6,622
I thought the reviews and notice about proper impedance were fools gold. But man, my favorite on-the-go iems, are the oriveti new primacy, but they are literally NOT an option with the R6 at all. The R6 completely changes the sound of the iems, removes the life out of them completely. One positive is that I was planning to sell my Oppo Pm-3's as they don't mate as well with my other daps, but they sound absolutely fantastic out of both outputs of the R6 (especially the balanced of course). Talk about bringing the life out of them. They still don't have the most bottom, but wow the midrange is rather exhilarating. What iems are folks getting the best use off the R6, I don't know of any high impedance iems. I read a review that stated single driver iems also are recommended.
I ordered Custom Art FIBAE 3 CIEMs after reading the possible impedance issue : https://thecustomart.com/fibae-3/
The FIBAE CIEMs (should) have no issue with higher impedance sources : https://thecustomart.com/fibae/
Still waiting for the arrival of both FIBAE 3 (in 2 weeks) and R6 (SS)...
I'm not sure if the Custom Art Harmony 8.2 I have will sound decently with the R6. I'll let you know.

Is there any driver to install so I can use the R6 as a DAC via usb on my computer ? I enabled the "usb dac" option but nothing appears on my computer.
If your computer is a Windows PC, then you should install drivers (or else you're often limited to 24bits/96khz with DACs on Windows). Usually not for OS X or Linux. But I'm not sure Hiby already provided a Windows USB driver.
I think it should be detected by Windows anyway though. Do you hear a sound (not an 'error' sound) when you connect the R6 in DAC mode with a USB cable ? (Eventually switch the USB port, and wait until it is installed if it needs to) Did you try to change the sound card in windows audio settings ? (right click on the speaker icone in the bottom right of the screen and see which devices can play sound). Or try with Foobar2000 and see if it detects your DAC in File>Preferences>Output>Device.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #1,493 of 6,622
And the day after I received my shipment notice I receive my SS hiby !!! Woohoo...
First worry out the door... I can safely say that using the line out to rca, to a denon pma-50 amp I absolutely noise less.
Played different formats and qualities and the music sounds wonderful through the q-acoustics 3020 speakers.
Sofar no issues USB, WiFi all in good order.

The stainless looks and feels amazing.

Happy homer here !!!

Happy cny guys !!!

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #1,494 of 6,622
I ordered Custom Art FIBAE 3 CIEMs after reading the possible impedance issue : https://thecustomart.com/fibae-3/
The FIBAE CIEMs (should) have no issue with higher impedance sources : https://thecustomart.com/fibae/
I'm not sure if the Custom Art Harmony 8.2 I have will sound decently with the R6. I'll let you know.

If your computer is a Windows PC, then you should install drivers (or else you're often limited to 24bits/96khz with DACs on Windows). Usually not for OS X or Linux. But I'm not sure Hiby already provided a Windows USB driver.
I think it should be detected by Windows anyway though. Do you hear a sound (not an 'error' sound) when you connect the R6 in DAC mode with a USB cable ? (Eventually switch the USB port, and wait until it is installed if it needs to) Did you try to change the sound card in windows audio settings ? (right click on the speaker icone in the bottom right of the screen and see which devices can play sound). Or try with Foobar2000 and see if it detects your DAC in File>Preferences>Output>Device.
I'm on windows 10, it's recognized by windows but it needs a driver to work wich I don't have.
So the r6 doesn't appear in the windows audio settings nor foobar audio output.

And I can't find the driver on Hiby website.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #1,495 of 6,622
And the day after I received my shipment notice I receive my SS hiby !!! Woohoo...
First worry out the door... I can safely say that using the line out to rca, to a denon pma-50 amp I absolutely noise less.
Played different formats and qualities and the music sounds wonderful through the q-acoustics 3020 speakers.
Sofar no issues USB, WiFi all in good order.

The stainless looks and feels amazing.

Happy homer here !!!

Happy cny guys !!!

What type line out to rca able you use? Please send link from google or name of it. Thanks

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #1,496 of 6,622
As milesjunkie pointed out, $40 iematch will easily solve this problem. And they (ifi) soon will have 2.5mm version too.

Yes, I read that rec. on the ifi, but I'd prefer no dongles, when I am actively moving. For risk of damage

Instead of looking for a new IEM, why don’t you take @twister6 ’s usual advice to try IEMatch or Ear Buddy with your New Primacy’s?

Waiting patiently for SS#78 to make its way through Australian customs so I can take this advice myself with the IT-03’s. I’m guessing my Simgot EN700pro will play just fine without an impedance adjustment...now that is a sweet IEM if you are looking for a single dynamic driver unit.

Yes, I read that review notes on the ifi, but I'd prefer no dongles, when I am actively moving. For risk of damage to the port

Thanks for the recommendations.

Can't wait to hear your input

Anyone manage to get Neutron Player to play at the right samping rate yet ? what is the setting did you use ?

Neutron Player just happen to be my favorite player.

Neutron works, bit perfect as long as you set up the audio driver correctly in neutron settings. Just note that neutron does NOT respond to the buttons with the screen off. Also neutron scrolls the folder structure much slower than the hiby software for some reason. It's not painful, just apparent. Lastly the audio gain on neutron does not exactly correlate to the native volume slider on the R6.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,497 of 6,622
I just unpacked my grey aluminium one. It feels awesome in the hand, the OS is fast and the display is amazing. I had the Fiio X5 3rd gen before but was at times annoyed at how laggy the interface was due to the processor and RAM limitations. It's quite late, I can post pictures of it tomorrow if anybode wants to see the grey one.
Please do post your comparison with X5 3 which would be great.

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #1,499 of 6,622
Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #1,500 of 6,622

Oriveti New Primacy has 8ohms, one of the lowest impedance IEMs around. There's plenty of IEMs within 20 ~30 ohms that would be more suited for the R6. I'm hoping that my UM Martian will be a good match (28 ohms).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back