HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Nov 8, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #1,606 of 1,971
Hey all, I have a little story

I got myself Argon's (mk3) for a near-future pc setup and plan on using them mostly for gaming through Schiit Hel2. Since I have the R6 2020 and wanted to also check out if they'd be good with it on the go or at least in the house while doing chores, I went for the balanced conversion. The reason being that the Argon's are a pretty hungry pair of cans and as we know the R6 has way more power output on balanced.

There are hardly any aftermarket 3.5mm to 4.4mm balanced cables out there that I could find, my search only came up with one off-brand cable on eBay, which I bought and it arrived today (https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-4mm-to-3...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0).

So I did a little listening test and the results are just bizarre. The Argons definitely get more power as the bass is deeper and the overall sound reproduction is louder, but here's the weird part - the soundstage and separation are pretty much non-existent, compared to using the 3.5 to 3.5 vmoda SE cable that came with the Argons. I'm not talking about minute differences either, it's basically like listening to a mono signal. Tried it with super wide stage tracks that test stereo reproduction, like Yosi Horikawa's Letter etc. Where on the single ended output the Argons muster an immensely wide stage (as advertised), on this new cable there is literally hardly any stereo separation.

So why do you think that is? I have no other devices to test the cans/cables/output combo with at the moment. My Sony XBA-N3's paired with a Dunu balanced 4.4mm work like a charm on the R6s balanced out.

Is this just a crappy cable that I should return? Is the cable wired wrong for my setup? Like is the 4.4 end supposed to be plugged into the cans and the 3.5 to the source (which would make no sense but who knows with crazy offbrand cables)?

Thanks! Btw, if anyone knows of a good 3.5 to 4.4 balanced cable, please let me know
Do the Argon Mk3s have a single 3.5mm TRRS input? If so, then I'd recommend going with this Hart Audio cable: https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/hc-2-3-5mm-trrs plus a 4.4mm interconnect for using them with the R6 2020 https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/interconnects/products/ic-6-4-4mm-trrrs

I have a different model of Hart Audio cables for my headphones and they're great. They've got a great reputation, too, as best I can tell. I can't remember seeing anyone ever say a bad word about them.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,607 of 1,971
Do the Argon Mk3s have a single 3.5mm TRRS input? If so, then I'd recommend going with this Hart Audio cable: https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/hc-2-3-5mm-trrs plus a 4.4mm interconnect using them with the R6 2020 https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/interconnects/products/ic-6-4-4mm-trrrs

I have a different model of Hart Audio cables for my headphones and they're great. They've got a great reputation, too, as best I can tell. I can't remember seeing anyone ever say a bad word about them.
Thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like a reasonably priced option too. I'll definitely bookmark this =)

Nov 12, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #1,608 of 1,971
(Sorry, I cannot find the "pro" thread.)

I have a technical question. If I buy a desktop dac and I connect my Hiby R6 pro (music library/source) with the dac and from there into an amp is it still possible to EQ the music using the Hiby R6 pro? Is the music although EQed still digital?

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #1,609 of 1,971
I bought a Sony BluTooth speaker. Can I pair my R6 2020 with it and play music on R6 thru Sony speaker? If so, any settings necessary in R6?

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,610 of 1,971
I bought a Sony BluTooth speaker. Can I pair my R6 2020 with it and play music on R6 thru Sony speaker? If so, any settings necessary in R6?

It should work just fine through bluetooth, similar to a BT headphone. Not sure what BT codecs the speaker supports, but LDAC would be the best.

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #1,611 of 1,971
Anyone using Hiby R6 2020 with poweramp?
Can you tell me if you can change the bitrate from 16bit to 24/32bit? On mine seems to be fixed to 16bit and automatically upscaling from 44.1 to 48.

In addition, can the hiby player app be uninstalled somehow?

Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #1,612 of 1,971
Hello friends,

I am coming from N6ii(A01 and A02 modules), I am looking to degrade to this one due to some personal reasons. How is the tonality and presentation of the R6 2020? Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance

Nov 17, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #1,613 of 1,971
Anyone using Hiby R6 2020 with poweramp?
Can you tell me if you can change the bitrate from 16bit to 24/32bit? On mine seems to be fixed to 16bit and automatically upscaling from 44.1 to 48.

In addition, can the hiby player app be uninstalled somehow?

Thanks
For anyone having same issue, i solved by checking NO DVC (ON) and NO HEADROOM GAIN (ON).
Now bitrate and frequency shows correctly (also in the notification bar) and the volume is the same for Hiby music app!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #1,614 of 1,971
I don't have all the answers at the moment, but would note for now that the DTA technology depends also on what the app decides to do. It works best when an app pushes audio straight through to what it thinks is the regular android audio stack, assuming it will be resampled there. The replaced audio stack on the R players don't. But many apps go with the assumption that the regular android audio stack is going to significantly degrade the audio while it's resampling, and try to avoid that by resampling to the system sample rate before it gets there. Result: no more bitperfect whatever we do.

And yes, Amazon's approach (assuming that's what it is) has the advantage of seamless transitions between tracks of any sample rates.
Hello.
Any news about that?
So it's downsampling to 16/44?

Attachments

• vThQrFgVQXo-1.jpg
    vThQrFgVQXo-1.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #1,615 of 1,971
Hello.
Any news about that?
So it's downsampling to 16/44?

On my R6 2020, Amazon Music (17.17.6) is working correctly at 24/192. Unfortunately, my R5 is limited to 16/44 currently. The R5 has worked with earlier versions of Amazon Music, before spatial audio was added (17.15.6 I believe).

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #1,616 of 1,971
On my R6 2020, Amazon Music (17.17.6) is working correctly at 24/192. Unfortunately, my R5 is limited to 16/44 currently. The R5 has worked with earlier versions of Amazon Music, before spatial audio was added (17.15.6 I believe).
Oh wow. At least the numbers on ultraHD tracks are correct now using early version. But w8... On HD tracks 16/44 it says it's playing 16/44 on amazon app, but the light is green and status bar is 192 on my R5 lol
And i have a question about using dac on the phone. There is no way no make it (Amazon) work through it, right? Like tidal, uapp, hiby have direct mode.
Thank you very much for the reply.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #1,617 of 1,971
Oh wow. At least the numbers on ultraHD tracks are correct now using early version. But w8... On HD tracks 16/44 it says it's playing 16/44 on amazon app, but the light is green and status bar is 192 on my R5 lol

Yeah, Amazon Music has always done this. It seems to lock in on the "device capability". The speculation is that it's upsampling the lower bitrate tracks.

And i have a question about using dac on the phone. There is no way no make it (Amazon) work through it, right? Like tidal, uapp, hiby have direct mode.
Thank you very much for the reply.

I'm not sure I understand "dac on the phone"? You should be able to get Amazon Music to work through an external DAC. It works on my iPhone at 24/192. What is your specific setup?

Nov 19, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #1,619 of 1,971
You are correct. I installed old version on my Pixel 3 with Jcally jm10 dac and it works now. At least what amazon app says.
Thanks again!
You can try to use your R6 as external dac to the phone, and check if you hear any difference between the external dac mode higher bitrate and the R6 native, but lower displayed bitrate.
I am courious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back