HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Oct 24, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #1,591 of 1,971
Can R6 2020 transmit Bluetooth out to speakers or IEM's when it is connected as USB DAC?

Oct 24, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #1,592 of 1,971
After going back and forth between my DX160 and 2020R6 with my Mest MK2’s I feel like the dx160 sounds better. I hate to say it but it seems more detailed and has more impact than the R6. I hope that this doesn’t make me regret preordering the RS6 as I was planning on using that for portable listening instead of the DX160. The DX160 sounds clearer and better soundstage also and I’m using identical settings out of both through the 4.4mm output. Oh well. Has anyone that these 2 DAPs compared the sound? I want to make sure I’m not going crazy lol

Oct 29, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,594 of 1,971
I have a brand new Hiby R6 2020 that I've paired with new Oriveti o400. The MSEB tuning flexibility allows me to dial-in the sound to my liking and so far I'm pretty impressed with the DAP and IEM combo. One issue I am stumped with is that my 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC albums show properties correctly when stopped or paused but when playing it reads or possibly is down-sampling to 24 bit with a 48 sample rate. Anyone experience this sample rate change? Is there something in the settings I missed causing this to happen? Thx!

Oct 30, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #1,596 of 1,971
Guys, anyone had a problem with R6 2020 that screen freezed and nothing can be done, even holding up 15 secs power up is not working. I've tried to hold also Power and Volume up for some time but it is not working, as well. Anyone had this issue ?

Oct 30, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #1,597 of 1,971
Guys, anyone had a problem with R6 2020 that screen freezed and nothing can be done, even holding up 15 secs power up is not working. I've tried to hold also Power and Volume up for some time but it is not working, as well. Anyone had this issue ?
How about connecting to your laptop, PC, etc and leaving it on for a while?

Oct 31, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #1,598 of 1,971
howdy, has anyone had success with using r6 2020 for DLNA through the hibyapp player?

I've tried using jellyfin, minidlna, and logitech media server as the server (on a linux machine connected via ethernet, r6 wifi on same network) and the r6 sees the server, and can connect, but then issues start:
- in minidlna, i cant see dsd (dsf/dff) files, even tho they are visible in other devices/computers, whether in the albums or navigating to the specific folder
- going to "all songs" shows only 994-999 (it varies each time i try to go in)
- in jellyfin, i can only view "album artist" and "album" (none of the other options show anything) and even then it varies whether it'll see anything or not.
- jellyfin does play dsd directly however, when it does see the files, along with flac/etc
- in LMS, only dsd and mp3 work, for whatever reason, flacs dont appear at all :/
- none of them seem to be able to load playlists at all (m3u or m3u8) even tho again, other devices work

I also tried connecting to the machine as a samba server, and while the files all seem to work, the connection is terrible (i dont think it's the server, but something about how hiby is connecting), sometimes the files load, sometimes i get i/o errors or some other error, while the host log shows "slow http from [hiby ip] dropped"

are there other apps that maybe work better? or some other setting i should look into? as an example, if i use the r3 pro as dlna transport (it does not work as a client apparently) i can navigate and play all files from the PC while listening through the r3p. Same with iphone and ipad with a dlna player (with ios limitations of course).

any help will be appreciated!

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #1,599 of 1,971
Hi Audio peeps.
Anybody here use the this hiby paired with Sennheiser HD600 does it drive them ok
Hiby R62020 I mean 😁?
Hello @loungecat

I use the Sennheiser HD 660s with the New Hiby R6(2020). The DAP has enough power to drive the Sennheiser HD 660s... No problem...

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,601 of 1,971
I have a brand new Hiby R6 2020 that I've paired with new Oriveti o400. The MSEB tuning flexibility allows me to dial-in the sound to my liking and so far I'm pretty impressed with the DAP and IEM combo. One issue I am stumped with is that my 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC albums show properties correctly when stopped or paused but when playing it reads or possibly is down-sampling to 24 bit with a 48 sample rate. Anyone experience this sample rate change? Is there something in the settings I missed causing this to happen? Thx!
Hiby customer support suggested I do a factory reset. Which I did and all is fine now and I'm getting the appropriate output sample rates for selected files.

Nov 6, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #1,602 of 1,971
Hey all, I have a little story

I got myself Argon's (mk3) for a near-future pc setup and plan on using them mostly for gaming through Schiit Hel2. Since I have the R6 2020 and wanted to also check out if they'd be good with it on the go or at least in the house while doing chores, I went for the balanced conversion. The reason being that the Argon's are a pretty hungry pair of cans and as we know the R6 has way more power output on balanced.

There are hardly any aftermarket 3.5mm to 4.4mm balanced cables out there that I could find, my search only came up with one off-brand cable on eBay, which I bought and it arrived today (https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-4mm-to-3...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0).

So I did a little listening test and the results are just bizarre. The Argons definitely get more power as the bass is deeper and the overall sound reproduction is louder, but here's the weird part - the soundstage and separation are pretty much non-existent, compared to using the 3.5 to 3.5 vmoda SE cable that came with the Argons. I'm not talking about minute differences either, it's basically like listening to a mono signal. Tried it with super wide stage tracks that test stereo reproduction, like Yosi Horikawa's Letter etc. Where on the single ended output the Argons muster an immensely wide stage (as advertised), on this new cable there is literally hardly any stereo separation.

So why do you think that is? I have no other devices to test the cans/cables/output combo with at the moment. My Sony XBA-N3's paired with a Dunu balanced 4.4mm work like a charm on the R6s balanced out.

Is this just a crappy cable that I should return? Is the cable wired wrong for my setup? Like is the 4.4 end supposed to be plugged into the cans and the 3.5 to the source (which would make no sense but who knows with crazy offbrand cables)?

Thanks! Btw, if anyone knows of a good 3.5 to 4.4 balanced cable, please let me know

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #1,603 of 1,971
Hey all, I have a little story

I got myself Argon's (mk3) for a near-future pc setup and plan on using them mostly for gaming through Schiit Hel2. Since I have the R6 2020 and wanted to also check out if they'd be good with it on the go or at least in the house while doing chores, I went for the balanced conversion. The reason being that the Argon's are a pretty hungry pair of cans and as we know the R6 has way more power output on balanced.

There are hardly any aftermarket 3.5mm to 4.4mm balanced cables out there that I could find, my search only came up with one off-brand cable on eBay, which I bought and it arrived today (https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-4mm-to-3...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0).

So I did a little listening test and the results are just bizarre. The Argons definitely get more power as the bass is deeper and the overall sound reproduction is louder, but here's the weird part - the soundstage and separation are pretty much non-existent, compared to using the 3.5 to 3.5 vmoda SE cable that came with the Argons. I'm not talking about minute differences either, it's basically like listening to a mono signal. Tried it with super wide stage tracks that test stereo reproduction, like Yosi Horikawa's Letter etc. Where on the single ended output the Argons muster an immensely wide stage (as advertised), on this new cable there is literally hardly any stereo separation.

So why do you think that is? I have no other devices to test the cans/cables/output combo with at the moment. My Sony XBA-N3's paired with a Dunu balanced 4.4mm work like a charm on the R6s balanced out.

Is this just a crappy cable that I should return? Is the cable wired wrong for my setup? Like is the 4.4 end supposed to be plugged into the cans and the 3.5 to the source (which would make no sense but who knows with crazy offbrand cables)?

Thanks! Btw, if anyone knows of a good 3.5 to 4.4 balanced cable, please let me know

I'd guess it's likely that the cable is wired wrong for your headphones and mixing left and right. The Argon (balanced) is wired "From tip to base L+ > R+ > L- > R-". There is no real standard for 3.5 mm TRRS balanced so AFAIK you'll have to go to custom cables to be sure.

10053634.png

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #1,604 of 1,971
I'd guess it's likely that the cable is wired wrong for your headphones and mixing left and right. The Argon (balanced) is wired "From tip to base L+ > R+ > L- > R-". There is no real standard for 3.5 mm TRRS balanced so AFAIK you'll have to go to custom cables to be sure.

10053634.png
Thanks for the reply. I remember checking for the wiring of the cable and it being the same, but can't find it now. I guess it does seem like a wiring issue most of all.
Oh well, I should return the cable then.
You know of any place where I can find custom cables though?

Nov 7, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #1,605 of 1,971
Thanks for the reply. I remember checking for the wiring of the cable and it being the same, but can't find it now. I guess it does seem like a wiring issue most of all.
Oh well, I should return the cable then.
You know of any place where I can find custom cables though?

I'm sorry but I have no experience in that area. I'd suggest searching the forums as I have seen it mentioned by others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back