HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Mar 2, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #1,066 of 1,971
Any insight on the PC DAC sound delay issue? =)
Just reinstalled Foobar with wasapi to test and the lag is there on just music playback as well. minor lag is not an issue for a music source and it sounds VG but you can see the lag in the playback meter.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #1,067 of 1,971
I wasn’t referring to using it as a BT receiver and sender at the same time, but the fact that receiver mode doesn’t work with most of my Apple devices. Also tried sender mode with my car stereo to no success.
i see. FWIW, sending BT with AAC from a MacBook under Big Sur to a R6 2020 works fine for me. That's the only combination i tried.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,068 of 1,971
I'm afraid this may be one of the inherent limitations of the platform (on the player side), although the actual delay may be more or less, depending on the way the driver is configured (e.g. default windows driver vs our provided driver)
Alright, thanks for the info! I'll have to check which driver was configured to be used.
Just reinstalled Foobar with wasapi to test and the lag is there on just music playback as well. minor lag is not an issue for a music source and it sounds VG but you can see the lag in the playback meter.
Thanks for testing! Yeah, for music it's not an issue but in games or videos it's rather debilitating. Oh well, can't have it all I guess. Not that I was planning on using it a lot as a PC DAC.. but it has already made me wary of how crap my current pc audio setup is xD yay bankruptcy

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #1,070 of 1,971
Cheers. It's not really a big issue as bluetooth is not my primary use case, but it would be nice if it was working as advertised.
yes, sending BT to the R6 is not very important for me either, but sometimes it would be really good to have a high quality wireless connection to the R6: i explored and eliminated (for various reasons) all other connectivity options i could think of and would have preferred over BT/AAC:
1. turning the R6 into an AirPlay2 server
2. or a ChromeCast server
3. upgrading the BT codec on my Mac to UAT
None of these is possible or can be relied-on to give better sound quality than BT/AAC.
I'd love to be proven wrong though!

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,071 of 1,971
yes, sending BT to the R6 is not very important for me either, but sometimes it would be really good to have a high quality wireless connection to the R6: i explored and eliminated (for various reasons) all other connectivity options i could think of and would have preferred over BT/AAC:
1. turning the R6 into an AirPlay2 server
2. or a ChromeCast server
3. upgrading the BT codec on my Mac to UAT
None of these is possible or can be relied-on to give better sound quality than BT/AAC.
I'd love to be proven wrong though!
I am new to Android and thought that AirPlay was native to the R6 based on HiBy’s marketing.

You can however download a free third-party app from the Google play store to add AirPlay functionality as a receiver to the R6. It probably won’t be AirPlay “2,” but it does work and would/should sound better than AAC Bluetooth.

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #1,072 of 1,971
From Hiby website:

1614792945780.png

Wireless control​

Supports DLNA and AirPlay* remote playback and music file transfer via WiFi.

* Install a third-party Airplay receiver app that can receive Airplay from iDevices.

Mar 3, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,073 of 1,971
From Hiby website:

1614792945780.png

Wireless control​

Supports DLNA and AirPlay* remote playback and music file transfer via WiFi.

* Install a third-party Airplay receiver app that can receive Airplay from iDevices.
Correct. The * regarding AirPlay was added to HiBy’s website after questioning Joe Blogs about it previously in this thread.

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #1,074 of 1,971
Correct. The * regarding AirPlay was added to HiBy’s website after questioning Joe Blogs about it previously in this thread.
thank you.

If anyone has experience with an AirPlay server app for Android then i'd be grateful for tips: the ones i can find all seem to be targeted at video not audio.

Am i right in assuming that these apps would use the Android audio subsystem rather than HiBy's lossless audio path?

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #1,075 of 1,971
Airplay supposedly tops out at 16/44.1 so it won't matter. AFAIK, DTA should work if the app is using standard audio routing.

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #1,076 of 1,971
Airplay supposedly tops out at 16/44.1 so it won't matter. AFAIK, DTA should work if the app is using standard audio routing.
ok, given these restrictions i've just tried AirPin Pro (AirPlay and uPnP server) and it works fine for sending from my Mac at 44.1 kHz. That's all i've tried so far.

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #1,078 of 1,971
So I noticed that it didn't seem quite as good and my square bottom right corner button stopped functioning so something was corrupted. I needed to do a factory reset to correct which includes wiping the internal memory etc. So I saved what I had in the music folder and reloaded the FW after. Fast and easy and all is well. It's a clean load to the most recent FW previously installed. Could be placebo and certainly subtle compared to when I 1st did the FW update but may sound better than ever. Maybe not. I think I'll load new FWs this way from here out. Download via menu and then reset. Yes, I'll need to reinstall apps but I only add UAPP and a browser so easy enough.

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,080 of 1,971
Quick question - if I connect the new r6 with an head-amp thru lo (line out), I will not be able to adjust the gain levels ie no effect on gain levels. Is it correct not ?
Not the gain, but you can still use the volume wheel to adjust LO of R6 '20 (and R8) which has a variable output in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back