HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Mar 5, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #1,084 of 1,971
I just got it yesterday so not a lot of listening time. I don't believe my ears are as educated as many here, and I don't want to give bad info. With that said, it sounds very similar to the R5 with no obvious defects. I also have a R6 Pro which has the random noise between tracks issue (wifi interference, maybe?). I have not noticed that on the R6 2020 (which is great).
Do you think the new hiby sounds better than the r6 pro? Also, do you think the overall experience is faster on the new one, almost like phone performance? My hiby r6 pro lags alot. Will this perform better for pop music or should I just stick with the r6 pro for that?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #1,085 of 1,971
Do you think the new hiby sounds better than the r6 pro? Also, do you think the overall experience is faster on the new one, almost like phone performance? My hiby r6 pro lags alot. Will this perform better for pop music or should I just stick with the r6 pro for that?
To me the devices sound very similar (Sabre DACs) and I'm fairly certain I would not be able to tell which is which in A/B testing (which I have not done). The 2020 is noticeably faster when navigating around but I would not call it flagship smartphone performance (the 660 is still a 4 year old mid-range CPU). I only use them for music listening anyway. I use my iPhone for other things.

The wifi and bluetooth are definitely better on the R6 2020 which was my main complaint on the R6 Pro (along with the noise issue between tracks) and the reason I upgraded. I am not disappointed.

If you are not having wifi/BT or noise issues, the R6 Pro remains a great DAP. There is always something newer and better around the corner that might be a more substantial upgrade... :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #1,086 of 1,971
To me the devices sound very similar (Sabre DACs) and I'm fairly certain I would not be able to tell which is which in A/B testing (which I have not done). The 2020 is noticeably faster when navigating around but I would not call it flagship smartphone performance (the 660 is still a 4 year old mid-range CPU). I only use them for music listening anyway. I use my iPhone for other things.

The wifi and bluetooth are definitely better on the R6 2020 which was my main complaint on the R6 Pro (along with the noise issue between tracks) and the reason I upgraded. I am not disappointed.

If you are not having wifi/BT or noise issues, the R6 Pro remains a great DAP. There is always something newer and better around the corner that might be a more substantial upgrade... :sunglasses:

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #1,087 of 1,971
Thanks for the honest feedback. Yeah, you are probably right, should wait for the next best thing. Maybe Hiby comes out with the pro version of this and regret that i didn't get that one. I hope that the pro version will be able to drive more headphones though, higher than 300ohm.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #1,088 of 1,971
Thanks for the honest feedback. Yeah, you are probably right, should wait for the next best thing. Maybe Hiby comes out with the pro version of this and regret that i didn't get that one. I hope that the pro version will be able to drive more headphones though, higher than 300ohm.
*Cough* R8 *cough* 😉

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #1,090 of 1,971
Up to what impedance can the r8 drive? Yeah, the r8 seems like the one but it's too expensive for me to consider. My jaw just drops at the price. Maybe the r6 2020 pro will be cheaper and could possibly drive just as much.
It's not really about impedance but about sensitivity. The R6 can drive a 300 ohm HD800 just fine, but it'll never give it as much power or control as a dedicated 4W desktop amp. Neither will an R8. Most higher impedance over ear headphones need a dedicated desktop amp to reach their full potential. DAPs will drive them fine, just expect a compromise in sound quality.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,091 of 1,971

I have used my R6 Pro with my HD6XX headphones (300 ohm) and thought the performance was fine (using balanced output).

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #1,095 of 1,971
I wonder if that's even technically possible with an analog volume controller, assuming the R6/R8 volume control is analog. If it is I'd like to see a button reassignment option too.

Volume wheel is not analog on either R8 or R6 2020

And I didn't find any option to reassign volume to buttons, maybe a third party app could do that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back