HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Jun 22, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #646 of 1,076
The problem is that isn't not just a DAC but it's like connecting a computer to another computer. It's like you were to connect your phone to your computer and use the DAC inside the phone having a continuous connection to the computer, the phone and the DAC inside the phone. The interfacing adds latency.
Because it's a DAP I don't think they can fix this with firmware, every DAP I've had, has had this issue.
I'm aware of that. The thing is your justification "computer to computer" connection is kinda... false.
You can write software/firmware as you wish hence you can get around some of the latency.
To what point it's doable it's another case. Sometimes indeed you cannot get lower latency because of hardware or I should rather say design limitations.

Hence my request for Hiby, if there is still possibility to reduce latency - I'm kindly asking to do so :p
As for other DAPS, the same thing - maybe it could be done, but maybe it's too much work to fix small thing that not many people request.
As always design choices are not always make from technical reasons but from money/marketing/value point.
Hope that helps.

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #647 of 1,076
I'm aware of that. The thing is your justification "computer to computer" connection is kinda... false.
You can write software/firmware as you wish hence you can get around some of the latency.
To what point it's doable it's another case. Sometimes indeed you cannot get lower latency because of hardware or I should rather say design limitations.

Hence my request for Hiby, if there is still possibility to reduce latency - I'm kindly asking to do so :p
As for other DAPS, the same thing - maybe it could be done, but maybe it's too much work to fix small thing that not many people request.
As always design choices are not always make from technical reasons but from money/marketing/value point.
Hope that helps.
So you mean all the brand make Dap just try to get your money the most because almost all of them don't do USB Dac properly right ? Hahaha

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #648 of 1,076
So you mean all the brand make Dap just try to get your money the most because almost all of them don't do USB Dac properly right ? Hahaha
No I've never said that.
You said it. Don't put your words into my mouth.

Designing product is not a Lego playground.
There is a lot of things that are taken into consideration. Many many times you don't do what you really want to do (at least not fully).

As for money .. have you ever own a 'business' ? It seems like not really, hence your confusion.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #651 of 1,076
No I've never said that.
You said it. Don't put your words into my mouth.

Designing product is not a Lego playground.
There is a lot of things that are taken into consideration. Many many times you don't do what you really want to do (at least not fully).

As for money .. have you ever own a 'business' ? It seems like not really, hence your confusion.
Hahaha, be sympathy then you will understand 🤗

Jun 25, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #653 of 1,076
A little too much drama methinks. Its fair to ask for HiBy to look at reducing latency. Of course they may not choose to follow up on that idea or maybe its really hard to do or even can't be done. Time will tell.

I was surprised that using the HiBy app on the iphone and the Apple CCK kit the unit did not show an ability to natively decode DSD when presented with those bitstreams. In DAC mode of course. Now it might be a display issue and it really was doing the job, but the display implied that DSD was being converted to PCM at 24 / 88.

Jun 26, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #654 of 1,076
A little too much drama methinks. Its fair to ask for HiBy to look at reducing latency. Of course they may not choose to follow up on that idea or maybe its really hard to do or even can't be done. Time will tell.

I was surprised that using the HiBy app on the iphone and the Apple CCK kit the unit did not show an ability to natively decode DSD when presented with those bitstreams. In DAC mode of course. Now it might be a display issue and it really was doing the job, but the display implied that DSD was being converted to PCM at 24 / 88.
What about the display on the iPhone end?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 26, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #655 of 1,076
What about the display on the iPhone end?

I was using the HiBy app on the iphone which definitely is capable of passing DSD files. I don't recall the phone showing anything unusual.

I have used the app to play SACD ISO files to my Ztella dongle and it shows up there as DSD (there is a light to show what is going on).

But using the Apple CCK the R5 Gen 2 shows 24 - 88 in DAC mode.

I mentioned that in my review BTW.

Please don't misunderstand, the sound quality was good. But it appears that the DSD was converted to PCM.

Jun 27, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #657 of 1,076
I was wondering if anyone has compared the R5 gen2 with the R6 2020? I can get the R6 for around 200 dollars more ATM, so I was wondering if the difference in price is worth it.
Not an owner, but this makes me wonder.

Especially since the R5ii have the Class-A implementation.

Jun 29, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #658 of 1,076
This DAP is an Android wonder with standby/off.

Seems to consume next to no power when off unlike many devices. You can just power it on (~30s) and have confidence its still ready to go.

20220629_205019.jpg

Jun 29, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #659 of 1,076
This DAP is an Android wonder with standby/off.

Seems to consume next to no power when off unlike many devices. You can just power it on (~30s) and have confidence its still ready to go.

20220629_205019.jpg
Mine rips thru the battery even when it's off.

Jun 29, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #660 of 1,076
Mine rips thru the battery even when it's off.
Why?

I'm at 24 days without a charge. I am only using in eco mode with Hiby Music, WiFi/BT off at the moment or a bit of offline Tidal/Spotify tracks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back