HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Jun 29, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #661 of 1,076
Why?

I'm at 24 days without a charge. I am only using in eco mode with Hiby Music, WiFi/BT off.
No idea.

I haven't used it in about a week and it was fully charged. I'll try testing it again but the battery life has been bad when I turn it off or in standy mode. Playing in class A battery life is bad and thats expected. With class A off battery life is really good, one time I forgot to turn it off and it was playing a good 30 hours till I realized it was on.

I'm not sure whey its draining so much battery when I power it off.

Jun 30, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #662 of 1,076
Why?

I'm at 24 days without a charge. I am only using in eco mode with Hiby Music, WiFi/BT off at the moment or a bit of offline Tidal/Spotify tracks.
That's the reason you are getting so much out of the battery because your usage of wifi and streaming apps is very less. I use with always on wifi and class A mode.. using local + streaming apps playing mostly CD quality songs.. and this eats up quite a bit of battery I need to charge my device at least once in 3 days with listening session of 3/4hrs in a day.. I have kept only streaming music apps cause I know other apps will run in the background and use battery even in idle mode.. also I don't usually keep my device in idle mode.. I turn it off to save battery..

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #663 of 1,076
This DAP is an Android wonder with standby/off.

Seems to consume next to no power when off unlike many devices. You can just power it on (~30s) and have confidence its still ready to go.

My battery is holding charge without use better than devices I've owned in the past or current. This device is terrific sounding, usable, sounds great, and the battery is solid.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #665 of 1,076
So for class A mode I think you guys should let the Hiby run through some music for around 30 minutes like warm up before listening because the Dap change the sound very much after been played a bit.
I guess if you turn the device on / off a few times throughout a charge you might get about 1 hour of useful listening time out of the device per charge this way.

Not saying your experience is wrong, it's just not something we designed for, we didn't intend the unit to require 30 min. warm up in Class A mode before optimal listening results. But if that's your finding of course that's true for you.

Meanwhile there are folks here using this exclusviely on eco mode getting 20 hrs plus play time out of a charge or days / weeks between charges.

I mean it's obviously good that Class A is offered as an option but still I can't help but wonder how the average user experience may have been different if it WASN'T offered as an option 🤔

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 3, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #666 of 1,076
I guess if you turn the device on / off a few times throughout a charge you might get about 1 hour of useful listening time out of the device per charge this way.

Not saying your experience is wrong, it's just not something we designed for, we didn't intend the unit to require 30 min. warm up in Class A mode before optimal listening results. But if that's your finding of course that's true for you.

Meanwhile there are folks here using this exclusviely on eco mode getting 20 hrs plus play time out of a charge or days / weeks between charges.

I mean it's obviously good that Class A is offered as an option but still I can't help but wonder how the average user experience may have been different if it WASN'T offered as an option 🤔
Mostly i just listen before sleep at lunch and evening for about 1 hour each so i can use this Dap for 2 days between each charge.

For warm up stuff in Class A i just found out when i burn in this device. At first i though it is because i burned in it for few hours but then the day after i woke it up and it still sound almost like before burn in.
Just after few hours burn in again i come back and it appear to be different.
And when i listen to music. After a while it sound really open, spacious.
Ofcourse maybe the time not need to be 30 min but i think it really benefit from warm up before playing. Maybe it can be different after like 200 hours burn in also. Now i just got like 20 hours.
For Eco mode i still did not try it but the playing time for it as report is really outstanding but if Class A better even 5% i still go for it because mostly i just use at home.

Jul 3, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #667 of 1,076
It'll probably become the very listenable Android DAP that has a long battery life.

Would it have convinced me to go away from and let go of dongles? 15% less chance of it happening, at the very least.

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #669 of 1,076
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 5, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #670 of 1,076

Joe,

I think a DAP in today's dongle environment has to be special. Adding class A as an option is in fact special.

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #671 of 1,076
Joe,

I think a DAP in today's dongle environment has to be special. Adding class A as an option is in fact special.
That's right, as matter of fact, Hawaiibadboy is no longer reviewing DAP after he claimed the DAP is dead since smartphone + dongle will be enough.

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #672 of 1,076
Hey, Im new to this group.
I have 2 question to this R5 Gen2.

1. Weak Wifi
- Wifi signal is with full signal, but it frequently loads music forever. When I tired with Tidal and Apple music, but it shows same loading speed and I cannot listen to music.

2. Noise between Song and Song on Tidal.
- When I forward to next song with button, it gives noise. (somewhat like "chi-chic" sound)

3. Bluetooth dac fuction.
- it seems that it has big delays when I play videos with iphone. Can it be improved with firmware ?

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #673 of 1,076
That's right, as matter of fact, Hawaiibadboy is no longer reviewing DAP after he claimed the DAP is dead since smartphone + dongle will be enough.
Well, there are threads indicating that he threatened some vendors with bad reviews if they didn't play ball his way. So he was banned if that is the case. Never my favorite reviewer and I will leave it at that.

But dongles are a "thing". I discussed the virtues of this unit compared with dongles right up front in my review.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #674 of 1,076
Hey, Im new to this group.
I have 2 question to this R5 Gen2.

1. Weak Wifi
- Wifi signal is with full signal, but it frequently loads music forever. When I tired with Tidal and Apple music, but it shows same loading speed and I cannot listen to music.

2. Noise between Song and Song on Tidal.
- When I forward to next song with button, it gives noise. (somewhat like "chi-chic" sound)

3. Bluetooth dac fuction.
- it seems that it has big delays when I play videos with iphone. Can it be improved with firmware ?
1) Are you connected to 2.4 or 5G WiFi? I use 5G most of the time and never had this experience.
2) Is this with MQA of FLAC files? Other people have reported the same stuttering with the first ones.

Jul 7, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #675 of 1,076
1) Are you connected to 2.4 or 5G WiFi? I use 5G most of the time and never had this experience.
2) Is this with MQA of FLAC files? Other people have reported the same stuttering with the first ones.
regarding number 2: it should be MQA or Master (as Tidal says) when I play song on Tidal app.

ALso, When I watch youtube, it doesnt match the lip syng at all.... thats so sad tho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back