HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Jun 16, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #617 of 1,078
HiBy R5 Gen 2 is here!!

Well, to start it off, the player sounds musical and smooth. It has a beautiful presentation that attracts instantly with its tonality. In this budget, I have previously tried Shanling M3X, also one of my favorites but this sounds more musical and smooth while the M3X had a neutral to very slight bright touch to its sound.

Pros:
>Tonally it's very good.
>Bass comes out to be attractive.
>Class A amplification sounds wonderful and adds a sense of tonal heft or tonal body to the sound.
>Three-level gain mode, also the power is very good. Drives most IEMs easily.
>Supports all three mainstream headphone connections,
>Comes with a leather case included.
Cons:
>Sounds a little lean when Class A amplification is turned off(or is it due to the fact that Class A sounds better bodied?).
>Class A battery life is way less compared to the standard mode(Standard states 35 hours, Class A marked at 10 hours).
>UI is sluggish, more so if you are used to high-end DAPs like A&K, HiBy R6/RS6.

It's not any flagship killer, I have had the pleasure to own the RS6, AK SE100, have heard AK SP2K briefly, R5 Gen 2 doesn't beat them by any means in resolution or clarity. But for the asking price, I find the R5 Gen 2 to sound phenomenally good. I would have loved it even more if the UI was a bit more smoother.
2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Jun 16, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #618 of 1,078
HiBy R5 Gen 2 is here!!

Well, to start it off, the player sounds musical and smooth. It has a beautiful presentation that attracts instantly with its tonality. In this budget, I have previously tried Shanling M3X, also one of my favorites but this sounds more musical and smooth while the M3X had a neutral to very slight bright touch to its sound.

Pros:
>Tonally it's very good.
>Bass comes out to be attractive.
>Class A amplification sounds wonderful and adds a sense of tonal heft or tonal body to the sound.
>Three-level gain mode, also the power is very good. Drives most IEMs easily.
>Supports all three mainstream headphone connections,
>Comes with a leather case included.
Cons:
>Sounds a little lean when Class A amplification is turned off(or is it due to the fact that Class A sounds better bodied?).
>Class A battery life is way less compared to the standard mode(Standard states 35 hours, Class A marked at 10 hours).
>UI is sluggish, more so if you are used to high-end DAPs like A&K, HiBy R6/RS6.

It's not any flagship killer, I have had the pleasure to own the RS6, AK SE100, have heard AK SP2K briefly, R5 Gen 2 doesn't beat them by any means in resolution or clarity. But for the asking price, I find the R5 Gen 2 to sound phenomenally good. I would have loved it even more if the UI was a bit more smoother.

Thank you, very useful. Comparison to the M3X especially so. I'm quite surprised to know that the latter is actually brighter sounding compared to the R5 Gen. 2. I expected (and hoped for) it to be the opposite as I found M3X to be "warmish-neutral" and a bit too smoothed out/rolled-off in the treble and high mids for my taste.

Very nice to have this info, though!

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #619 of 1,078
Thank you, very useful. Comparison to the M3X especially so. I'm quite surprised to know that the latter is actually brighter sounding compared to the R5 Gen. 2. I expected (and hoped for) it to be the opposite as I found M3X to be "warmish-neutral" and a bit too smoothed out/rolled-off in the treble and high mids for my taste.

Very nice to have this info, though!
I have used M3X extensively(Heck I bought the DAP like 5 times), and I find R5 Gen 2 to be smoother than the M3X. also R5 Gen 2 has better body in Class A amp mode.

Jun 17, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #621 of 1,078
Jun 17, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #622 of 1,078
Also in Tidal sometimes have glitch, stutter for half a second. Can stream with UAPP fix that ? Thanks.
Just tried out tidal yesterday: it's noticable at the very start of app usage, and also if i pick a particular section of a track while playback is occuring.

Unfolding origami needs patience~~~~ :D

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #625 of 1,078
Nah. No UAPP. I prefer the sounds from deezer/spotify :)

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #626 of 1,078
To those who play tracks stored on SD card… how does this Hiby player manage them? That is, does it take time to mount and scan the files upon turning it on? Relative to many flac tracks, half 24bit, what do you feel would be the largest SD card the R5 can manage, practically speaking?

Jun 18, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #628 of 1,078
How do you guys rate the processing capabilities of the Hiby so far? If I purchase it I'd only install Qobuz, Tidal and UAPP. I'd also store an SD 512g card with a DSD and Flac library.
It processes pure DSD and FLAC files fine but it gets really hot if using class A with that. The battery drains like crazy also.

The worst is when you use class A with DSD upsampling, you can literally watch the battery % drain.

The DSD playback and upsampling is just really cpu and power intensive, I wouldn't say thats a negative though because every dap is going to be like that if they had class A. Just an FYI.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #629 of 1,078
To those who play tracks stored on SD card… how does this Hiby player manage them? That is, does it take time to mount and scan the files upon turning it on? Relative to many flac tracks, half 24bit, what do you feel would be the largest SD card the R5 can manage, practically speaking?
For the device it's fairly simple. If it supports over 32GB cards then 2 TB is the max it can read. It is the SDXC standard that dictates this and android can handle this amount even if the stated capacity is less.

The software is different story, on my AP80 Pro (Hiby OS) there is a hard cap of 20k songs max. Which is a problem for me as I currently have a library in exces of 23k songs that is still growing. But I'm not sure if that's the case with the android app. Kinda curious about that as I'm interested in a R5 Gen II.

Jun 18, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #630 of 1,078
For the device it's fairly simple. If it supports over 32GB cards then 2 TB is the max it can read. It is the SDXC standard that dictates this and android can handle this amount even if the stated capacity is less.

The software is different story, on my AP80 Pro (Hiby OS) there is a hard cap of 20k songs max. Which is a problem for me as I currently have a library in exces of 23k songs that is still growing. But I'm not sure if that's the case with the android app. Kinda curious about that as I'm interested in a R5 Gen II.
Android daps no such problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back