HiBy R3 II--new and improved: physical volume knob, 4.4mm balanced out, increased power
Oct 9, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #63 of 170
Oct 9, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #64 of 170
Will Hiby make any official leather cases for this? (or any aftermarket ones for that matter)

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #65 of 170
Will Hiby make any official leather cases for this? (or any aftermarket ones for that matter)
As far as I've heard, HiBy isn't making leather cases for this. I can't speak for makers like Dignis etc. :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 10, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #67 of 170
Have got the player. Single ended output impedance is 1.3 ohm. Isn't great.
Shouldn't matter much unless your iems are very sensitive to that, like Andromeda.
Have you seen what Sony has with their latest DAPs? Still no one complains

impedance.png

Oct 10, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #68 of 170
Shouldn't matter much unless your iems are very sensitive to that, like Andromeda.

Yes, I have found Yincrow RW-3000 (16 ohm by spec, 15.1 ohm measured on DC) to be sensitive to the source output impedance. Say, BTR7 1.8 ohm makes the buds a little shouter (overall tonal balance shifted to high). Probably 1.3 ohm of R3II is still acceptable. Need listen the R3II + RW-3000 more. (I'm not an expert having answers after few minutes of listening)

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #69 of 170
Yes, I have found Yincrow RW-3000 (16 ohm by spec, 15.1 ohm measured on DC) to be sensitive to the source output impedance. Say, BTR7 1.8 ohm makes the buds a little shouter (overall tonal balance shifted to high). Probably 1.3 ohm of R3II is still acceptable. Need listen the R3II + RW-3000 more. (I'm not an expert having answers after few minutes of listening)
Given your writings I suppose you can easily measure the effect of each player on the actual frequency response of your preferred earphones?*

Then, too, you can completely nullify that on an R android HiBy device (which I think I saw you get a few days ago also) using a custom designed convolver?

But, have you found a pair of earphones for which the tuning is ideal IFF the player output impedance is zero? I haven't.

In fact, I would simply use the player of choice as the output device while measuring an IEM's output FR, then calculate a custom convolver to convert them to my ideal FR curve. Since the player of choice is used for the measurement, any FR changes caused by output impedance is already taken into account.

*(if I want to account for that separately, I get a Y-split adapter, plug my IEMs in on one side, plug a patch cable on the other side to a line in, and record the FR. This is the "effect of the player on the frequency response of the earphones")

----------------------
[Above propeller-headed exchange may be safely ignored by everyone else 😁]

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #70 of 170
Given your writings I suppose you can easily measure the effect of each player on the actual frequency response of your preferred earphones?*
Recently I have moved from IEMs to flathead earbuds, FR measurements of the last ones are hardly reproducible unfortunately (or I must to play with artificial ear as a IEC711 part much more time).
But, have you found a pair of earphones for which the tuning is ideal IFF the player output impedance is zero? I haven't.
For now I guess low output impedance results in more natural, tight bass. My ears are used to loudspeakers with LF section having 200l sealed box volume and 18" woofer, if you know what I'm saying about.

Also, "ideal" is rather vague term. I prefer to fulfill some minimal technical demands and spend time on listening to or discovering of new music. It is so in spite of years of audio amp schematics design and soldering. Equipment is the second, a music is the first.

Oct 10, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #71 of 170

*(if I want to account for that separately, I [plug] a Y-split adapter [onto the DAP / amp], plug my IEMs in on one side, plug a patch cable on the other side to a line in, and record the FR. This is the "effect of the player on the frequency response of the earphones")

Recently I have moved from IEMs to flathead earbuds, FR measurements of the last ones are hardly reproducible unfortunately (or I must to play with artificial ear as a IEC711 part much more time).
Read the starred part again :) No coupler involved here

Oct 10, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #73 of 170
Read the starred part again :) No coupler involved here
I see. I have answered to the first your sentence, rather than to the last one. I'm not sure FR (in any form - acoustics one or as output impedance influence on on-load voltage) will describe hearing impressions correctly at the LF area as far as we have transducer distortions rise here. At any case for now after hours of listening I have not found any signs of R3II to have insufficiently low output impedance.

Oct 10, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #74 of 170

impedance.png
The Sony A55 also produces an audible hiss, with not particularly sensitive IEMs. Other than that it is a great little player. Intrigued to hear the hiss level on the r3 gen 2 for myself as I have heard conflicting reports via online reviews, with the exact same IEM (Andromeda 2020). One said there is a slight hiss and the other said there was no hiss.

Oct 10, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #75 of 170
I can confirm - no hiss with my Andromeda 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back