HiBy R3 II--new and improved: physical volume knob, 4.4mm balanced out, increased power
Sep 1, 2023 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 164

HiByMusic

Sponsor: HiByMusic
HiBy is pleased to announce the latest update to our linux-based pure audio mini DAPs in the form of the R3 II--now with physical volume knob (also press for screen lock / on / off), 4.4mm balanced output (instead of 2.5mm) and increase in output power to 380mV via 4.4mm output.

As always, these are awesome as ultraportable music sources for any case where you want to carry something smaller than a phone or a regular DAP. As well noted by greyforest, you can also connect them to WiFi or even your smartphone's own hotspot and connect via DLNA or AirPlay to have them function as a wireless, lossless hi-res amplifier for whatever your phone's playing.

Coming soon to your local retailers and store.hiby.com
1693558043380.png

Trial user usage report

1693558360658.png

Pre-release info page

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 8, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 164
When can we expect it to show up in the Amazon U.S. store? Eagerly awaiting...

Sep 8, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 164
When can we expect it to show up in the Amazon U.S. store? Eagerly awaiting...
Well as far as I know they need to physically be there in the US first, so it might be a while (but shouldn't be too long)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 9, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 164
Well as far as I know they need to physically be there in the US first, so it might be a while (but shouldn't be too long)

Hope so. I noticed no version of the R3 Pro is available any longer on US Amazon. Looks like they simply aren't for sale there any longer.

For something like this I need to buy it from a local dealer. I don't relish the thought of sending a unit back to China for repair or replacement. USPS mail to China is crazy expensive and unsubsidised by the US government.

Sep 9, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 164
Just finished recording A-rolls for my review of these R3 II. It's going to be a while for editing. Spoiler alert: this little DAP is awesome. Clear step up from the R3 Pro Saber, with good detail retrieval and soundstage imaging. It does not collapse the stage (that much) when facing Final Audio E5000 and 300ohm earbuds either. Not quite at the level of my DX300, but decent enough in such a small form factor that I find myself using it more than my DX300. I will miss this little DAP when sending it around a few stops in Australia for an informal review tour.

Sep 9, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 164
Just finished recording A-rolls for my review of these R3 II. It's going to be a while for editing. Spoiler alert: this little DAP is awesome. Clear step up from the R3 Pro Saber, with good detail retrieval and soundstage imaging. It does not collapse the stage (that much) when facing Final Audio E5000 and 300ohm earbuds either. Not quite at the level of my DX300, but decent enough in such a small form factor that I find myself using it more than my DX300. I will miss this little DAP when sending it around a few stops in Australia for an informal review tour.
Does this handle gapless playback with AIFF format? I'd rather not have to convert my AIFF rips to FLAC just so they can run gapless using Hiby software. My current tests on Hiby software doesn't do gapless with AIFF rips. If it does I will pick one of these up for sure.

Also, how is the noise floor/hiss with IEMs?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 164
Does this handle gapless playback with AIFF format? I'd rather not have to convert my AIFF rips to FLAC just so they can run gapless using Hiby software. My current tests on Hiby software doesn't do gapless with AIFF rips. If it does I will pick one of these up for sure.

Also, how is the noise floor/hiss with IEMs?

I don’t have any AIFF files. Is there any place to download them? I can try.

There is a hint of hissing on low gain, 4.4 with Andromeda 2020. Same level as ibasso DX300 and dongles like hidizs XO, less than Chord Mojo2, but not dead silence like A&K DAPs.

Sep 9, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 164
I wonder why only 2.4 GHz wifi?

Sep 10, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #13 of 164
I don’t have any AIFF files. Is there any place to download them? I can try.

There is a hint of hissing on low gain, 4.4 with Andromeda 2020. Same level as ibasso DX300 and dongles like hidizs XO, less than Chord Mojo2, but not dead silence like A&K DAPs.
I think AIFF is one of the format options for purchases on Qobuz. Some of the artists I have purchased from directly on their website also have AIFF as an option. Other than that AIFF is just a codec for MacOS rips. MacOS does not rip to FLAC, you need a third party converter for that. AIFF files are larger with a higher kbps rate than than FLAC. Some claim they are better quality.

Cheers.

Sep 16, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #15 of 164
Howdy folks,

My review of R3II is online on YouTube. In case you want to read, you can find the review article on head-fi here

I admit: I didn’t have much expectation when I heard about R3II. However, the device quickly won me over with the portability and sound quality. No, this tiny box does not offer the sound quality that makes my DX300 redundant. However, it does not hinder the soundstage performance of my IEMs significantly whilst being much more compact and pocketable. And that’s what a micro DAP should do.

Absolute Sonic Performance: 3/5 - Good.

Bias score: 4/5 - I am happy to add this device to my rotation.

Pros:
  • Size
  • Price
  • Battery
  • Good detail retrieval
  • No significant compromise in soundstage
Cons:
  • Audio latency over AAC connection
  • Album art compatibility issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back