HiBy FC6--R2R dongle DAC reborn
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #211 of 228
Did you receive any updates on your order? I was just told that mine probably will ship in mid April, even though it was in stock when I placed the order :/
Have asked them to cancel the order, might as well just go with the Mojo2 or RU7 instead.
It is important to remember that mojo2 is - to put it mildly - not a dongle at all. Especially compared to such a baby as fc6.
And I wouldn't compare mojo2 to any of the dongles. This is a different type of device.

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #212 of 228
Man that's rough. If I were you, I would hold on to the FC6 because:

1. FC6 on sale is a whole lot cheaper ($180) vs $299 for RU7.
2. The vast majority prefer the FC6 to the RU7, as great as RU7 probably is.

If it makes you feel any better, my FC6 is stuck in customs since 21/3 😅😭 Hifigo has contacted the carrier for me. We'll see how it goes.
And that was one of the reasons I wanted to give the FC6 a try, but I'm not going to wait that long for it "might" be ready to ship. If ai could find it in stock somewhere inside EU, I would order it again, but I can't, sadly 😑

It is important to remember that mojo2 is - to put it mildly - not a dongle at all. Especially compared to such a baby as fc6.
And I wouldn't compare mojo2 to any of the dongles. This is a different type of device.

Great point! I don't need it to be small and super portable, so I can live with the larger size of the Mojo2.
I just really want to try out R2R or similar DAC's, which is the main reason for my purchase 🙂

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #213 of 228
And that was one of the reasons I wanted to give the FC6 a try, but I'm not going to wait that long for it "might" be ready to ship. If ai could find it in stock somewhere inside EU, I would order it again, but I can't, sadly 😑

Great point! I don't need it to be small and super portable, so I can live with the larger size of the Mojo2.
I just really want to try out R2R or similar DAC's, which is the main reason for my purchase 🙂
I currently own fc6, mojo2, ibasso dc elite, l&p w2. And if a dongle is not a priority, consider mojo2. It will give enough analog sound. It will also provide a huge supply for high-driving IEM and HP, which no dongle will provide.

Attachments

• IMG_5121.jpeg
    IMG_5121.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #214 of 228
I currently own fc6, mojo2, ibasso dc elite, l&p w2. And if a dongle is not a priority, consider mojo2. It will give enough analog sound. It will also provide a huge supply for high-driving IEM and HP, which no dongle will provide.
Great to know, thanks a lot for your input, it's highly appreciated 👍

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #215 of 228
what sample rate are you listening at?

If you're listening at over 48kHz (88.2 or above), I won't argue that the differences are insignificant.
@Joe Bloggs
Can't tell you how much your direct involvement with the community is appreciated. Heard that from multiple head-fiers! Really refreshing approach, thank you! 👍💪

A couple of questions, if you are allowed to share the answers, of course:

1. Does the FC6 use a true NOS mode? Not just 24 bit without oversampling but without digital antialiasing and noise shaping (opamp analogue lpf instead)?

2. What is the approximate tolerance of the resistors, or if you can share at least the minimum threshold? I am sure you did great matching of these and I do love the sound, just curious given they do get hot and they have to cope with high resolution bit rates.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #216 of 228
@Joe Bloggs
Can't tell you how much your direct involvement with the community is appreciated. Heard that from multiple head-fiers! Really refreshing approach, thank you! 👍💪

A couple of questions, if you are allowed to share the answers, of course:

1. Does the FC6 use a true NOS mode? Not just 24 bit without oversampling but without digital antialiasing and noise shaping (opamp analogue lpf instead)?

2. What is the approximate tolerance of the resistors, or if you can share at least the minimum threshold? I am sure you did great matching of these and I do love the sound, just curious given they do get hot and they have to cope with high resolution bit rates.

Thanks!
1. Yes definitely yes. One problem cited by a prominent reviewer early on was that the analog LPF could not be bypassed in the case of using OS mode, so the OS modes only improves on rather than replace the analog LPF entirely. This has been counteracted to some extent on the final firmware update, at least for 44.1 and 48kHz input sample rates.

2. Let me get back to you on this one.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 10, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #217 of 228
1. Yes definitely yes. One problem cited by a prominent reviewer early on was that the analog LPF could not be bypassed in the case of using OS mode, so the OS modes only improves on rather than replace the analog LPF entirely. This has been counteracted to some extent on the final firmware update, at least for 44.1 and 48kHz input sample rates.

Man, that's really great to hear, thanks!

Honestly, it was impossible to imagine until recently a well priced and miniature sized, nos r2r and especially without audiable sound issues and coloration. Great times for the industry and hobby.

2. Thanks! Please do. Really curious as (to my ears) some critical listening in the NOS mode suggests how good these film resistors actually are.

No idea what models they are, how they were matched and how they perform under higher temperature, but they do sound as they should if everything is at very high quality. Previously this was the realm of expensive desktop DACs.

Amazing times for those who don't prefer the delta-sigma sound (me).

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #218 of 228
One problem cited by a prominent reviewer early on was that the analog LPF could not be bypassed in the case of using OS mode, so the OS modes only improves on rather than replace the analog LPF entirely.
I wouldn't worry about what that reviewer worries about. For a reason. The hardware LPF in Texas Instruments' units is done so perfect that it removes any audiable aliasing without shifting the phase at all. The input and output impulses overlap ideally.

The FC6 is impeccable in NOS mode why take away the very reason and benefit of using such good r2r?

1) Aliasing and Filtering: Without oversampling, NOS DACs must rely on analog filtering to mitigate aliasing—frequencies mirrored into the audible range due to the sampling process. However, the analog filters in NOS DACs are less aggressive than those in oversampling DACs giving more realistic and more gentle high frequencies.

2) Phase Coherence: The direct nature of R2R NOS DACs, with minimal digital filtering, preserves phase coherence across the audio spectrum, offering a more cohesive and natural soundstage than the artificially altered delta-sigma sound.

3) Dynamic Range and Transients: The direct conversion process accurately preserves the dynamics and transient details of the audio signal,

These 3 create the realistic and engaging listening experience that some users find closer to live music. Some call it analog sound but it's way better than analog, just not harsh as delta-sigma type of digital.

Delta-sigma measures better in gear....but good r2r already measure better than what human hearing and recorded music require!

Delta-sigma would give more pronounced high frequencies due to steep filters and oversampling. These often contribute to more perceived detail and wider stage....but these are exaggerated compared to what was actually recorded.

Not taking sides myself, just providing some meat to the bone on my reasoning why I would keep R2R in NOW mode if the hardware is well made.

Moving from delta-sigma, which is all around us, to r2r takes some adaptation. When you get used to contrast and sharpening enhancers on your TV and you suddenly turn them off it takes a bit of time to adapt to the real image...but then your eyes bleed if you move back to an artificially sharpened image.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #219 of 228
I wouldn't worry about what that reviewer worries about. For a reason. The hardware LPF in Texas Instruments' units is done so perfect that it removes any audiable aliasing without shifting the phase at all. The input and output impulses overlap ideally.

The FC6 is impeccable in NOS mode why take away the very reason and benefit of using such good r2r?

1) Aliasing and Filtering: Without oversampling, NOS DACs must rely on analog filtering to mitigate aliasing—frequencies mirrored into the audible range due to the sampling process. However, the analog filters in NOS DACs are less aggressive than those in oversampling DACs giving more realistic and more gentle high frequencies.

2) Phase Coherence: The direct nature of R2R NOS DACs, with minimal digital filtering, preserves phase coherence across the audio spectrum, offering a more cohesive and natural soundstage than the artificially altered delta-sigma sound.

3) Dynamic Range and Transients: The direct conversion process accurately preserves the dynamics and transient details of the audio signal,

These 3 create the realistic and engaging listening experience that some users find closer to live music.

Delta-sigma measures better in gear....but good r2r already measure better than what human hearing and recorded music require!

Delta-sigma would give more pronounced high frequencies due to steep filters and oversampling. These often contribute to more perceived detail and wider stage....but these are exaggerated compared to what was actually recorded.

Not taking sides myself, just providing some meat to the bone on my reasoning why I would keep R2R in NOW mode if the hardware is well made.

Moving from delta-sigma, which is all around us, to r2r takes some adaptation. When you get used to contrast and sharpening enhancers on your TV and you suddenly turn them off it takes a bit of time to adapt to the real image...but then your eyes bleed if you move back to an artificially sharpened image.
Cheers!

I hope hiby develops a budget R2R DAP. 350-usd type. I then wouldn't have to attach Fc6 to my hiby M300 :)

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #220 of 228
Cheers!

I hope hiby develops a budget R2R DAP. 350-usd type. I then wouldn't have to attach Fc6 to my hiby M300 :)
Yes, but only if executed as well or better on hardware level. Meanwhile what works for me are the following scenarios:

1) For travel, bit perfect from the phone - FC6 DAC - iems.

2) For living room, bit perfect from phone or streamer or computer - FC6 DAC - active speakers.

BTW, Can't express well enough how the r2r NOS sounds in a living room in combination with good speakers. Hits at the level of veeeery expensive demo rooms. Absolutely unparalleled joy for its cost.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #221 of 228
fc6pa10.jpg

If like me you love the sound of the FC6, try listening to it with the Astell & Kern AKPA10... a simply terrifying pair. Everything the FC6 lacks in terms of amplification is provided by the enhanced version of the amplifier present in the Astell & Kern SP3000... really worth listening to.

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #222 of 228
@Joe Bloggs

Love the unit but unfortunately it is defective.
Increasing the volume triggers crazy hiss and buzz, lowering the volume gets it back to normal. Happens every time, on any device (laptops and android phones), bit perfect or not.

I updated it from 1.6 out of the box to 1.7 version - downloaded by the flash tool.

Really sad that such a good sounding unit has such defects and causes the extra inconvenience to deal with this. Mine was bought from HiBy official store on AliExpress.

Any advice, any thoughts what might be the cause, wonder if this could repeat again if I replace the unit with a new one?

Here's a video showing the issue:
https://files.fm/u/wbe92udehn

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #224 of 228

The resistor matching level is not particularly extraordinary. What makes it all work is our linearity compensation technology. To grossly oversimplify, it takes the input values of the digital data assuming an evenly spaced grid of 2^bd values (bd=bit depth) and maps it correctly to the actual values of a non-evenly spaced grid produced by an imperfect R2R network, ensuring output linearity whatever resistors we use (within reason). This was sort of glossed over, briefly mentioned in the ad copies, but should really be a big selling point...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #225 of 228
@Joe Bloggs

Love the unit but unfortunately it is defective.
Increasing the volume triggers crazy hiss and buzz, lowering the volume gets it back to normal. Happens every time, on any device (laptops and android phones), bit perfect or not.

I updated it from 1.6 out of the box to 1.7 version - downloaded by the flash tool.

Really sad that such a good sounding unit has such defects and causes the extra inconvenience to deal with this. Mine was bought from HiBy official store on AliExpress.

Any advice, any thoughts what might be the cause, wonder if this could repeat again if I replace the unit with a new one?

Here's a video showing the issue:
https://files.fm/u/wbe92udehn

Thanks!
Sorry to hear that. Do email service@hiby.com regarding this issue with this unit bought directly from us. The official solution would be to mail it back to us for an exchange, but new buyers of lower cost items will be offered various alternatives, especially if the return postage cost is shown to be high. (although, the FC6 is a small device with no battery, postage is hopefully low for most countries)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back