HiBy Digital M300 Android Digital Audio Player,"The Gen-Z Music Player" - Discussion thread
Jan 16, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #421 of 643
BTR7 has better audio components than M300, hence it will sound better. Also, M300 is not designed for audiophile like quality hi-fi sound, hence using high end iems will clearly show the deficiencies in sound quality of m300. M300 is rather an all-rounder which can do a lot at such a low asking price. Oddly enough, it appears that they have cut corners in the sound department.
No, no, no and no.

It's more likely that the impedance response of the earphones (6.3 ohms at 1kHz, but this won't be a fixed figure throughout the frequency range) and the impedances of the two units (BTR7: PO≤1.8Ω/BAL≤2.8Ω) (M300: < 1 ohm) (which may also vary by frequency) are interacting to change the FR of the earphones despite no use of EQ. In this sense, since the M300 has lower output impedance, it is affecting the FR less. But since the FR is not a fixed curve anyway (and varies with these earphones more than most, given the low low low impedance range), it strikes me as counter-productive to "never, never use EQ" (as told in pm). If a more "clear and crisp" sound is sought, more treble is clearly (ha) your friend.

That's if Nick24JJ were hearing an actual difference between the two units. It's also possible that he simply hasn't unlocked the full volume range of the M300. (Press volume buttons, press 3-dot menu at the bottom of the volume slider, increase "media volume" from default to max: 15).

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 16, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #422 of 643
No, no, no and no.
So, you mean to say there is no difference in the audio components between BTR7 and M300? And it is on the same level as BTR7? If so, is M300 on par with other Hiby (android) DAPs as well?

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #423 of 643
So, you mean to say there is no difference in the audio components between BTR7 and M300? And it is on the same level as BTR7? If so, is M300 on par with other Hiby (android) DAPs as well?
That's not the reason for any audible difference here. What is at issue is that the BTR7 has at least 1.8 ohm OI even from 3.5mm, whereas (as just told from HiBy HQ) the M300 is down at 0.24 ohms. That's 7.5x difference in damping factor (in the HiBy's favour), and the damping factor was low to start with, given that the earphone's nominal impedance is only 6.3 ohms. However the factor of overriding auditory importance is not the damping factor, but the changes in the FR caused by the different impedance matching, and which the listener prefers. In this case he appears to prefer the result from the higher OI and lowe damping factor. Nothing hugely surprising about that, but that does not negate the fact that the M300 has the lower output imoedance, higher damping factor and technically the higher fidelity output, when paired with these low impedance earphones he's using.

(It has higher fidelity to the ideal output with 0 ohm OI and infinite damping factor. Whether that is the preferred sound depends on the listener, the earphones and even the music you're listening to.)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #424 of 643
hiby.jpg
Excuse my poor photo editing skills. You can notice the bottom home bar placement and the wider black bezels all around.
@Joe Bloggs , can you notice the difference between the 2 images? The left one is from the product page and right one is the actual unit.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #425 of 643
@Joe Bloggs , can you notice the difference between the 2 images? The left one is from the product page and right one is the actual unit.
I was also looking at my unit powered off when I first replied to you. I think the team responsible for rendering previews were not informed of the actual screen ratio at the time. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #426 of 643
@Joe Bloggs Can you advise about the optimal settings for the Hiby Music App?

For example, is it best (optimal) to enable Exclusive HQ USB audio access or not? What about DSD mode, it has 3 options: PCM, DoP and Native. Which one is best?
Also, how can I play Random throughout my Music collection?

I am listening to my own WAV files stored in my SD card

Will you add the previous track button functionality in a future firmware update?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #427 of 643

For example, is it best (optimal) to enable Exclusive HQ USB audio access or not? What about DSD mode, it has 3 options: PCM, DoP and Native. Which one is best?

Will you add the previous track button functionality in a future firmware update?
The settings you referred to affect USB audio output. They do not affect wired headphone output on the M300.

Random may be effected by going to the now playing screen (expand the playing thumbnail on the bottom by tapping it) and tapping the play mode icon (circled) until it turns to the Shuffle mode as shown here:

1705495454779.png

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #428 of 643
What about DSD mode, it has 3 options: PCM, DoP and Native. Which one is best?

Not trying to answer for @Joe Bloggs (he'll have the final word!), but I think which one is the best is largely an academic question: we are talking about different ways to "send" a DSD track to a DAC connected to the M300 USB port, so it's all in the digital domain... This has more to do with the capabilities of the DAC and what kind of DSD stream it can play or not. Native is just that, the DSD stream is sent as-is to the DAC over USB. The issue here is that not every DAC can decode native DSD. If it can't, the second option is DoP, the DSD stream is packed into a PCM stream, decoded on the DAC side. More DACs (most?) accept DoP streams. If they can't, the third option is PCM, the M300 converts the DSD track into a PCM stream--it's no longer DSD. So, I believe the best way to use these options is to try Native first, then DoP, then PCM. I believe SQ should be the same in each case.

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #429 of 643
Not trying to answer for @Joe Bloggs (he'll have the final word!), but I think which one is the best is largely an academic question: we are talking about different ways to "send" a DSD track to a DAC connected to the M300 USB port, so it's all in the digital domain... This has more to do with the capabilities of the DAC and what kind of DSD stream it can play or not. Native is just that, the DSD stream is sent as-is to the DAC over USB. The issue here is that not every DAC can decode native DSD. If it can't, the second option is DoP, the DSD stream is packed into a PCM stream, decoded on the DAC side. More DACs (most?) accept DoP streams. If they can't, the third option is PCM, the M300 converts the DSD track into a PCM stream--it's no longer DSD. So, I believe the best way to use these options is to try Native first, then DoP, then PCM. I believe SQ should be the same in each case.
Your answer is correct for DAC connected to the M300. Although, there is no real difference in result between Native and DoP, as both are passing the same DSD data.

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #430 of 643

To shuffle all songs in your library :

Click on the music symbol
all songs-title then shuffle play all tracks (you can change from sequential/loop/shuffle)

IMG_3714.jpeg

Jan 17, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #431 of 643
@Joe Bloggs - when I enable the exclusive USB mode to play WAV files from M300 to my ifi DAC the DAC indicates a lower quality audio (dark green) as opposed to me using same setup without exclusive usb mode enabled (lime green - see photo) Does this mean the android device is amending the WAV quality to make it better. Or this a setting issue?

Secondly I have repeated issues with the dac going to sleep mode with M300. As if ithe dac is not able to see the M300. This never occurs with the same dac and an ipad (yet) Any thoughts welcomed

Thanks
IMG_3715.png

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #432 of 643
The settings you referred to affect USB audio output. They do not affect wired headphone output on the M300.

Random may be effected by going to the now playing screen (expand the playing thumbnail on the bottom by tapping it) and tapping the play mode icon (circled) until it turns to the Shuffle mode as shown here:
Thanks for clarifying re: USB audio output. Thanks for the letting me know how to enable Shuffle Playback, also @danvr41 thanks

What about the "Previous Track" functionality? Is it feasible to be added in a future Firmware and are you already working on this or is it unfeasible?

Regarding my recent post about the Sound Quality of my 64 Audio Volür with the M300 versus the FiiO BTR7, all I can say is: I need more time.
The Volür is new to me, I've received it on Saturday 13 January 2024, so I do not have much experience with it.

Today I've been listening to the M300 with my other IEMs, specifically with my 7Hz Timeless and my RAPTGO HOOK-X, I am also listening right now using my 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 which I've received like 2 hours ago, and I can say that the M300 sounds fine with these IEMs. I did not have time to compare it with the BTR7, yet. By the way, I am always using my BTR7 paired via Bluetooth to my phone, I never connect it with a cable.

I think I will have taken my final decision about the M300 by Tuesday. I will have time on the weekend to listen, compare and think. My use case is 95% Bluetooth due to my lifestyle. The iFi GO Pod covers me superbly on that aspect! I purchased the M300 because I wanted to try a DAP but also hoping it can drive my Volür and the similarly priced IEM(s) I am about to purchase this year, in the best possible manner. If it is that the M300 sounds equally well or even worst than my BTR7, I do not need it.

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #433 of 643
If it is that the M300 sounds equally well or even worst than my BTR7, I do not need it.
I will be very much interested in knowing the results of your experience. Please keep posted with your findings.

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #434 of 643
when I enable the exclusive USB mode to play WAV files from M300 to my ifi DAC the DAC indicates a lower quality audio (dark green) as opposed to me using same setup without exclusive usb mode enabled (lime green - see photo) Does this mean the android device is amending the WAV quality to make it better. Or this a setting issue?
AFAIK the M300 re-samples everything by default to 24bit/192kHz. Assuming your WAV files are 16/44.1 (the default...) then yes, that would mean the M300 (not every Android device: by default they re-sample to 16/48) is "amending" the WAV file. Amending is actually improper: it can't create what does not exist in the original file. However, re-sampling to 24/192 may bring other benefits.,

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #435 of 643
Just purchased the M300. Apologies if this has been answered but I'm not going to scroll through and read pages of comments just incase.

I take it the M300 doesn't do the normal variation regarding bitrate/sample rates of your native files and formats? A standard 44kHz 16bit flac rip to a 192kHz 24bit to a DSD64 all remain the same colour on the little led indicator light. Doesn't matter if I use UAPP, the Fiio Music app or the Hiby App. For the UAPP I have mirrored the settings on my Hiby r6 pro ii. The r6 led light changes colour accordingly while the M300 stays the same. As the above comment stated the M300 upsamples to 24bit/192kHz and the led colour light does correspond with that on my r6 Pro ii when playing a native 24bit/192kHz file via UAPP.

I'm not that fussed about what looks like system wide upsampling but I am curious if this will remain or change to mirror the native file sample rates via any firmware updates? If the led light isn't going to change then there's little point having it as a feature.

Lastly, does anyone here own the Sony A306 (uncapped version) and the Hiby M300? I am still considering getting a Japanese uncapped A306, provided the software/UI isn't too laggy and there is zero noise floor with IEMs (Fiio FH3, JD7 & Sennheiser IE600). There is no hiss at all on the M300. I think Sony products will last longer. I have a Hiby r5 gen 2 and the 3.5 jack went on it in less than a year and that was without me using it frequently. Very poor. To be fair, the other Hiby DAPs I have are all working fine but they are all newer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back