hfb - Bounce House - chat aka shtpost central
Apr 29, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #526 of 713
On that note, I am especially impressed by the local talents. I guess I've been too poo-poo-ing the local music that I didn't see some of the gems that popped out recently. The equivalent and bigger American Idol counterpart here has gave birth to some spectacular artists lately. Remind me to go look for it and share some here, provided that I remember their names haha. 

My favorite song contest lately is The Voice ( Russia and Ukraine and a bit from other countries) though it seems that Malaysia doesn't have it.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #527 of 713
As far as recent releases go, I recently purchased Distant Worlds III, the latest in a series of orchestrated Final Fantasy albums, conducted by Arnie Roth. Like all of the other releases, this one contains a handful of tracks that I find lacking in dynamic range, versus how I feel each track should sound, but equalization and overall sound is brilliant on this release and the track selection was more exciting compared to all but the live recorded Distant Worlds Returning Home, which also included a couple of unexpected surprises.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed by it, and I listen to it at least once a week, about two months after purchasing it.

Waiting for May 4, to receive my pre-ordered copy of Special Effects by Tech N9ne, as well, and may report back on that after I've given it a couple of listens.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #528 of 713
I bought a few CDs recently from interpunk... Hadn't bought CDs from there in quite a while. Got a few LPs as well... Mostly pop/punk/emo stuff. Pre-ordered the new "The Early November" album, bought a Tribute to "The Police" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C2%A1Policia!:_A_Tribute_to_the_Police), a couple others.

I'm fascinated by Lakes, especially the song "The Ghost and the man" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041QNZA6/ref=dm_ws_ap_tlw_alb3) -- Free if you have Amazon Prime. These guys are the old "Watashi Wa" which incidentally played Message in a Bottle on that tribute CD I just posted. I like their music quite a lot.

Simple stuff.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #529 of 713
I really should look closer into bandcamp one of these days. For whatever reason the last couple of months I've found myself getting more and more in touch with by long bygone youth. I also find myself constantly revisiting Frames which is a band someone on Romy's old thread recommended to me. That band has really connected with me for some reason. right now I'm stuck in my 80 rock phase. Here's a classic which became an anthem for my generation which became part of the soundtrack of the movie which also became one of the movies of my generation.. All this week I've been listening to Simple Minds nonstop, lol. Any of you guys remember this oldie.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #530 of 713
You know, there's certain musical aspects of the 80s that's better left in the past and not revisited. Some of the tracks are major fromage.

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #531 of 713
...oh! This is where you guys have been.

I'm starting to feel nostalgic a bit.

I wish I had talked to Coq before he signed off. I'm looking at specializing in mental health as soon as I finish up my pharm.d, and I've started taking the required courses now for the residency. Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are two things I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Even worse is that a lot of health care professionals have little clue how to set up an effective drug regimen for these patients. They either undertreat them, or sedate them to the point where they are zombies. I hope he gets a competent team wherever he is.

Speaking of mental illness... head-fi. I was catching up on the thread, and I saw where Idsy made a point about the endless cycle here, especially at the top end. What's worse is that the cycle is occurring more rapidly now, and is getting exponentially more expensive. The whole thing just puts a sour taste in my mouth with regards to the whole audio forum idea. I've been wanting to do a full review of my endgame headphones for months now, but I can't conjure the ****s to do it.

I still hang around for a couple of reasons. Firstly, there are some folks here I've met over the years who don't want to lose contact with. Then there's the member's lounge where you can shoot the breeze with other members away from the shadow of the hamster wheels in the audio forums. Lastly, I've put a lot of time and energy into learning the things I know now. If I just walk away cold turkey, then my head will be filled with what will essentially be useless information.

Plus I'm still holding on to hope that there will be a revolutionary new tech that elevates the personal audio experience past what we thought was possible. I want to be around for that.

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #532 of 713

Speaking of mental illness... head-fi.

You are in control of your personal spending.  A cycle, if there is one, is wholly self-perpetuated.

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #535 of 713

You are in control of your personal spending.  A cycle, if there is one, is wholly self-perpetuated.

Don't take it personally.

What headphones are these?

You've likely heard of them. I don't want to just haphazardly throw them out there though, since I want to have a full write up and reasoning behind why they're my end game.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #536 of 713
On that note, I am especially impressed by the local talents. I guess I've been too poo-poo-ing the local music that I didn't see some of the gems that popped out recently. The equivalent and bigger American Idol counterpart here has gave birth to some spectacular artists lately. Remind me to go look for it and share some here, provided that I remember their names haha. 

My favorite song contest lately is The Voice ( Russia and Ukraine and a bit from other countries) though it seems that Malaysia doesn't have it.

I don't think The Voice format can work here in Malaysia. The largest and most influential music audition TV program, Akademi Fantasia, is exactly kind of like American Idol, only not named Malaysian Idol. There was one years back, but it received such a cold reception...

The reason I don't think The Voice could work is because I don't think our veteran artists are enthused at taking a protege. And we don't really have too high regards of them too. Not unlike how I see some artists in the US, they are figuratively gods and goddesses to a lot of people.

But I just love watching The Voice. It seems so "The American Dream". There's so many ways to get successful, and this (The Voice) is one of the myriad of ways to reach "The American Dream", IMO. Maybe I'm just too down in the dumps with what's happening in Malaysia that I don't understand, don't care but must, and have to "catch up" with.

As far as recent releases go, I recently purchased Distant Worlds III, the latest in a series of orchestrated Final Fantasy albums, conducted by Arnie Roth. Like all of the other releases, this one contains a handful of tracks that I find lacking in dynamic range, versus how I feel each track should sound, but equalization and overall sound is brilliant on this release and the track selection was more exciting compared to all but the live recorded Distant Worlds Returning Home, which also included a couple of unexpected surprises.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed by it, and I listen to it at least once a week, about two months after purchasing it.

Waiting for May 4, to receive my pre-ordered copy of Special Effects by Tech N9ne, as well, and may report back on that after I've given it a couple of listens.

Now that you mentioned Distant Worlds, IIRC they came and perform here in Malaysia at the Petronas Philharmonic. That's my second live performance ever, and it's abso-fking-lutely amazing. My first orchestral live performance mind you, and bloody hell I love how organ sounds in real life. It's so.... substantial. Sadly, I don't remember the songs they played already, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also my kid brother joined a wind orchestra band out of the blue, practiced only for a few weeks and can play the trumpet and ****. Well, he did have a whole year last year playing the gamelan... Pretty impressed at his school's performance, but then again that school is like elite boarding school with lots of pride and history... They too performed at the Philharmonic and I'm pretty excited that I got to go there again.

...oh! This is where you guys have been.

I'm starting to feel nostalgic a bit.
======================
Plus I'm still holding on to hope that there will be a revolutionary new tech that elevates the personal audio experience past what we thought was possible. I want to be around for that.

Wow, didn't realised you went missing somewhere along the way. Welcome back.

Somehow, I want bone conduction to catch up and get good. I don't know why...

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #538 of 713
Apr 30, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #539 of 713
Now that you mentioned Distant Worlds, IIRC they came and perform here in Malaysia at the Petronas Philharmonic. That's my second live performance ever, and it's abso-fking-lutely amazing. My first orchestral live performance mind you, and bloody hell I love how organ sounds in real life. It's so.... substantial. Sadly, I don't remember the songs they played already, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also my kid brother joined a wind orchestra band out of the blue, practiced only for a few weeks and can play the trumpet and ****. Well, he did have a whole year last year playing the gamelan... Pretty impressed at his school's performance, but then again that school is like elite boarding school with lots of pride and history... They too performed at the Philharmonic and I'm pretty excited that I got to go there again.

Yeah, a good philharmonic orchestra is pretty special. Hearing a pipe organ live is an absolute necessity for music enthusiasts. It's an experience that simply cannot be matched by anything else.

Live orchestras and jazz ensembles are something that you have to get as much of as you have the time and money for. It is so much more than just entertainment. The connection to the art is almost too real when you hear it live.

Distant Worlds is a show that I would really enjoy seeing live. Not quite up there with Beethoven's 5th and 9th symphonies, but it's still quite high on the list of shows I need to find the time and money for one of these days.

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #540 of 713
I don't think The Voice format can work here in Malaysia. 

Philippines and Indonesia have the Voice. Though population in Malaysia is much smaller and there is Islam as official religion. For example, Philippines is a secular state with Christianity dominating. I can see from the Voice Philippines that the society is pretty open and westernized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back