HF-2
Aug 25, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #859 of 1,149
Yeah, my engraving is excellent with nothing like that, the writing of the SN is clear, on both the scratching and the wood, and the box too. Slight glue slop, some nicks and scratches on the cups. All in all I can't say I'm too disappointed after reading other posts (my box is in perfect condition as well)

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #860 of 1,149
The chemical etching process isn't perfect, any mistake with the etching chemical will show up. On mine there is a slight bright and hazy halo around the lettering but it's uniform, I imagine there was some bleeding through the etching mask or they reuse the masks a few times. There are a few additional etching chemical defects that I'd say look like water stains but they are small and in inconspicuous places like the surface that mates with the wood. It all looks fine just normally looking at it the defects are mostly noticable if you're looking for them closely. All this is why laser etching is much superior.

Otherwise I don't have any severe defects just some ultra tiny pinhead sized nicks where two planes meet that are only visible VERY close up and with the right light angle. Really that's just from handling and is to be expected on any handmade object. The glue between the wood and metal is perfect, there's some excess glue under the pads where the driver module is adhered to the wooden housing but it gets covered up by the pads.

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #861 of 1,149
I'm glad and, to a degree, relieved that I went ahead with my order. HF2 is an awesome pair of headphones. They're the perfect phones for rock, a refinement of Grado's core strengths, perfectly executed with just 1 minor flaw (sorry guys couldn't help).

After I ordered my HF2 way back in June, I, subconsciously trying to protect my wallet, didn't check head-fi for 2 months
smily_headphones1.gif
. All I did was sending a couple of emails to Todd to chase up my order. As a result 1) my wallet is in great shape and 2) I didn't know about the whole drama until after I received mine (surprise!). How lucky I was! I could have cancelled my order and missed out on this great, rare pair of phones.

Thanks Grado and Todd for bringing us the HF2, a great gift to the community!

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #862 of 1,149
The build quality on Grados leaves something to be desired. The glue to hold the plastic piece (black plastic w/ the R) holding the right driver to the band gave up. This lead to the right driver being separated from the headband. I needed to superglue the band back to the plastic piece. Is this what $429 buys you? A misspelled headphone that falls apart after 3 weeks? =T

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #863 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokensound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The build quality on Grados leaves something to be desired. The glue to hold the plastic piece (black plastic w/ the R) holding the right driver to the band gave up. This lead to the right driver being separated from the headband. I needed to superglue the band back to the plastic piece. Is this what $429 buys you? A misspelled headphone that falls apart after 3 weeks? =T

I'm sure Todd would refund your money.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #864 of 1,149
Quote:

The true definition of "brokensound", no?

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #865 of 1,149
Quote:

Well, by using superglue...you seem to have voided the warranty...why didn't you simply return it to TTVJ/Grado for repair or refund? No product is without flaws but you as a consumer do need to follow certain procedures and your energy should not be used to diss the company publicly(whine) that gave you a unique item. I'm sorry for your bad experience and it is frustrating when you get a product that is flawed...I feel your pain, dude.

Having said that, I do wish John Grado would take some tips from Joe Grado and use more metal vs plastic specifically on the rod holders but this has been suggested before.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #866 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes it has - last two were listed at $600 and $650 - game on
evil_smiley.gif

Mine sold for 525$. Only cause I was impatient.
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #867 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No product is without flaws but you as a consumer do need to follow certain procedures and your energy should not be used to diss the company publicly(whine) that gave you a unique item.

He has a perfectly legitimate complaint.

EDIT: Read your edit.
tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #868 of 1,149
Sending it in for repair would take longer than repairing it myself. But honestly guys, I bring up build quality and people are saying I'm whining? What about informing others of possible build quality issue, as is often performed in the car industry.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #869 of 1,149
I feel like a complete sap for selling my HF-2's AT COST to a fellow head-fi'er, in the interest of community and helping out another hobbyist.

At the same time, it brings my piss to a boil to read, "these are good, just not my thing. i listened to them for 5 hours, so you can buy them from me for $600."

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #870 of 1,149
Quote:

Sending it in for repair would take longer than repairing it myself. But honestly guys, I bring up build quality and people are saying I'm whining? What about informing others of possible build quality issue, as is often performed in the car industry.

Your post was not structured in a manner which is consistent with one who wishes to merely inform the public and there is a locked thread with the same type of "informative" Grado HF2 posts....perhaps I took it out of context, though....inform away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back