HF-2
Jul 30, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #646 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound is pretty good, although somewhat on the bright and harsh side, but I've never listened to anything on this rig other than my KSC75's.

I'm getting "bright and harsh" with a sloppy bottom also, but they are new and new some time on them. From my experience with most decent headphones, they all come in "stiff" and as time go on, the highs become more tame and less harsh, and the bottom tightens up.

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #647 of 1,149
Came back from a jog with #198 on my listening chair. Ordered on May 31 along with the Senn HD800, which I received a few weeks ago and I have been listening to them strictly....and my Stax Sigma's.
So this is my first Grado and ...well have to agree with the mtbiker that it will need some burn in, the upper mids and treble shout at you, as the rest of the mids are kind of buried in the big and bouncy bottom end. I hesitate to find an appropriate picture...

I trust that they will settle down. Thanks Todd!!!

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #648 of 1,149
Date Ordered: Fri, May 29, 2009 at 09:30:14 PM ...and YES!! I just got email notification today that they have been shipped - WOOT!
Now for the USA to Canada delivery time and fingers crossed that the customs man doesn't take a bite - so hopefully by the end of next week I'll be grinnin' from Grado ear to Grado ear.
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #649 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Date Ordered: Fri, May 29, 2009 at 09:30:14 PM ...and YES!! I just got email notification today that they have been shipped - WOOT!
Now for the USA to Canada delivery time and fingers crossed that the customs man doesn't take a bite - so hopefully by the end of next week I'll be grinnin' from Grado ear to Grado ear.
biggrin.gif

Congrats charliex! I ordered May 30th and got my shipping notice today as well. I'm fully expecting to pay the $68 in taxes(or whatever it might be), I'm just not that lucky.
tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #650 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Came back from a jog with #198 on my listening chair. Ordered on May 31 along with the Senn HD800, which I received a few weeks ago and I have been listening to them strictly....and my Stax Sigma's.
So this is my first Grado and ...well have to agree with the mtbiker that it will need some burn in, the upper mids and treble shout at you, as the rest of the mids are kind of buried in the big and bouncy bottom end. I hesitate to find an appropriate picture...

I trust that they will settle down. Thanks Todd!!!

What was your order number? I also ordered May 31st, and in addition to not having them yet, Todd told me that Grado ran out of headbands and they were being delayed, that Grado would get new headbands next week, which I assume means Todd will get the next set the first of the second week of August.

I'm afraid of another three week delay on my phones. Just wondering how close I was to being in a batch that shipped on the allotted schedule, considering we ordered the same day.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #651 of 1,149
Orders seem to be going a little out of order now. The two charliex and scott_d_m just received their shipping notices ordered on May 29 and 30 respectively, but tako_tsubo ordered on May 31 and already received it.

Hmm, a little confusing, especially since I ordered on May 31 in the morning. I wonder when I'll get mine. Getting all giddy here.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #652 of 1,149
Todd already explained that some people who decided not to get the HF-2 gave their place to other people who had ordered later.

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #653 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting "bright and harsh" with a sloppy bottom also, but they are new and new some time on them. From my experience with most decent headphones, they all come in "stiff" and as time go on, the highs become more tame and less harsh, and the bottom tightens up.

Sloppy bottom you say? It's been a while, but I'd probably recommend giving the vindaloo a miss for a bit, and drinking lots of electolytes...

(the rest of the double entendres I'll leave well alone
wink.gif
)

Back on topic, my #172 arrived last Friday, but is still in the box as I must first overcome a nasty ear infection. So I'm jealous that you have had time with yours, improvement pending or no. I will be particularly interested to see (hear) how the HF2 sits with very well-used RS1s, and then to compare my impressions with those posted by others blessed with both cans.

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #654 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by triple-u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Orders seem to be going a little out of order now. The two charliex and scott_d_m just received their shipping notices ordered on May 29 and 30 respectively, but tako_tsubo ordered on May 31 and already received it.

Hmm, a little confusing, especially since I ordered on May 31 in the morning.

Tako (from his profile) lives within the US while the other two are in Canada so that is likely why he got his before the other two. Another thing to consider is that some people may have opted for overnight shipping.

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #655 of 1,149
I have no clue what's going on with others' HF2's. Mine has zero hint of harsh highs. Pure warmth in all ranges. Deep bass, not sloppy. And the unit only has about 10 hrs on them. It still sounds a bit stiff, so the details aren't there yet. But from the way my past Grado's have evolved with burn-in, this one probably will end up sounding insanely good. But we'll see. Perhaps you guys received a bad set.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #656 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tako (from his profile) lives within the US while the other two are in Canada so that is likely why he got his before the other two. Another thing to consider is that some people may have opted for overnight shipping.

From what I understood from their posts, the two in Canada just had theirs leave TTVJ, whereas Tako from the US has already received it,meaning it left TTVJ a few days ago.

But then again, the shipping notices haven't been consistent apparently, so w/e, no worries. I'm just having trouble containing my excitement and checking my email every 5 minutes.

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #657 of 1,149
Mine is similar sounding, the highs has no harshness almost tamer then Senn hd580 on some songs. Mids are awesome! and not recessed with great depth an instrument separation. Bass is getting tighter and has nice impact. I didnt like it on my mini3 but on the cth tube amp it w/ mullard 4003 its sounds great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no clue what's going on with others' HF2's. Mine has zero hint of harsh highs. Pure warmth in all ranges. Deep bass, not sloppy. And the unit only has about 10 hrs on them. It still sounds a bit stiff, so the details aren't there yet. But from the way my past Grado's have evolved with burn-in, this one probably will end up sounding insanely good. But we'll see. Perhaps you guys received a bad set.

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #658 of 1,149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm willing to bet it has to do with the shapes of everyone's ears and sensitivity to hearing. Seems the majority are ecstatic about the sound with bowls, imo however the bowls give me the harsh highs and fatigue ~ flats on the other hand are much improved. So for those of you not hearing what everyone else is you might want to try a pad change... I know now that I'm going to have to start looking for more flats.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #659 of 1,149
These are my first Grado phones. So what pads do they come with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back