HF-2 or the RS-1
Feb 21, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #46 of 173
A note about "B Stock" sale. Those of us who were around for HF-1 ..........when Todd announced a similar follow-up sale of HF-1 (and it was a similar number of pairs)....you had to be able grab your pair the moment the sale began. A few seconds later (yes, it was a matter of seconds) they were all gone. Can't say for sure whether this will be a repeat of history........but, be aware.

Additionally: Despite what has been sometimes written in this thread about bad samples - I was able to buy 3 (with the help of a couple of friends who do not consider Grado, but ordere4d their pair for me) and all were without any noticeable imperfections.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #47 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS-1 are definitely no slouch when it comes to rock, the HF-2 just has more bass and is less revealing (FWIR) than the RS1, which most will prefer.

I know that you have the HF2, but do you have first hand experience with the RS1 in order to make this comparison?

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #48 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just like with the TF 10 sale on Amazon, everyone jumped on the deal and quite a few sold them on head-fi coz they didn't like the sound sig.

I'm not sure if that is an entirely accurate statement. Some people were selling spare TF10's that they had purchased from the sale. Others sell them because of fit and seal problems, which is not uncommon. No doubt there are also those who sell them because the sound signature does not appeal.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #49 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nearly everyone who has ever reviewed the RS1 says they're great for rock. You're kinda contradicting that aren't you?
From the impressions I've read of the HF2 i.e. more grainy than the RS1, better for metal and rock, I'd say they are a little closer to the SR325 than the RS1? Would I be wrong?

HF2 has a grittier sound, is more aggressive and has an added bass punch which makes them more suitable for rock than RS1i.

The comparison with SR325i is actually not that far fetched: both can be somewhat dark sounding and both can be aggressive however the HF2 has none of that offensive treble which is ever present in the SR325i. I also feel that the HF2 has a more liquid midrange and better timbre overall compared to the SR325i. Please bear in mind that I only have limited experience with the SR325i so I cannot provide detailed comparisons.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #51 of 173
I am pretty sure that the above has been done sufficiently well in the past, several times. Can't remember which exact posts, mind you...

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #52 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darksyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone with both headphones want to do an in-depth comparison, breaking them down in the highs, mids, lows, as well as soundstage, separation, etc... ?

Try Googling "HF2 vs RS1". The result might surprise you.
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #53 of 173
I had both side by side for several weeks and I ended up selling the HF2. To my ears the HF2 had a tighter/deeper/punchier bass but at the cost of less extended treble, smaller soundstage, and not as open a presentation as the RS-1.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #54 of 173
When people say the HF-2 has less of the detail, they mean in comparing only to the RS-1, isn't that so? But it still has very much detail as a Grado, yes?

Also for saying it is "dark." That is by comparing, no? It will not be dark like a Sennheiser?

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #55 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Googling "HF2 vs RS1". The result might surprise you.
wink.gif

Ugh, I have, but a lot of the reviews were during the major overhype of the headphones, while they were enjoying "FOTM" status. Now that the dust has settled (until the everyone gets their "B" stock pairs), I want to hear the less biased, more realistic comparisons. I traded my RS1i's for the HF2's, plus some other stuff, so I'm just trying to figure out what I'll be missing.

Sampson, I've read through this entire thread (granted, it's pretty short), but I'm just looking for something that goes in depth a little bit more- specifically as far as imaging, separation, refinement, and overall sound goes.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #56 of 173
Quote:

Ugh, I have, but a lot of the reviews were during the major overhype of the headphones, while they were enjoying "FOTM" status. Now that the dust has settled (until the everyone gets their "B" stock pairs), I want to hear the less biased, more realistic comparisons. I traded my RS1i's for the HF2's, plus some other stuff, so I'm just trying to figure out what I'll be missing.

I don't understand. You had the RS1i and I assumed you had listened to it and now you have the HF2. I'm sure you're more than qualified to form your own opinion here.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #57 of 173
Quote:

I don't understand. You had the RS1i and I assumed you had listened to it and now you have the HF2. I'm sure you're more than qualified to form your own opinion here.

My RS1i's weren't burned in, I haven't heard them in a few weeks, and I have yet to receive my HF2's.

I'm just trying to give my mind something to feed on :3

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #58 of 173
Quote:

My RS1i's weren't burned in, I haven't heard them in a few weeks, and I have yet to receive my HF2's.

I'm just trying to give my mind something to feed on :3

OK I'll bite.
biggrin.gif

I think Bilavideo puts it nicely in the other thread which I'm going to quote here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own an HF-2. I've never owned a 225, so I'll stick with what I know, notwithstanding the tremendous amount of positive buzz regarding the 225 as the best Prestige series headphone Grado has. I've owned the 325i, the RS-1 and the GS1K as well as my share of SR60s, SR80s and iGrados.

The SR80s were my first Grados, followed by the 325i. I like the RS1 and the GS1k for different purposes. The RS1 has a sweeter midrange; the GS1k has the wider soundstage with the jumbos and just plain slamming bass with bowls. Still, the HF2 has the best bass I've ever enjoyed from a Grado. Like the GS1k, it has recessed mids, but nowhere near as sharp/traumatic as with the GS1k. I like my mids slightly recessed, so there's room for a moderate EQ smile (full bass and HF sparkle). With the jumbos, the GS1k has too much of a drop in mids for my blood. You get much of it back with the bowls. The HF2 has enough similarity in that area to have provoked rumors that it's really a GS1k without the wooden overcoat/mushroom top. Others have called it a baby PS1k.

For classical, jazz, acoustic and other genres involving a lot of natural instruments, the RS1 is (in my opinion) the best Grado, except perhaps for the PS1k (which I've never heard). Natural instruments tend to have an HF roll-off that rewards headphones which emphasize mids, upper-mids, and lower treble. Stated another way, Grados are bright, unfiltered, open-air cans that do a great job of covering the higher end of the spectrum. On rock, heavy metal and electronica, the predominance of HF can leave listeners overwhelmed. For these styles, Grado needs a good rock-n-roll can, one with enough HF restraint to provide a balanced presentation - particularly when the phones are used unamped (My M^3 with variable bass boost could make any Grado a rock-n-roll phone).

Grado has two such cans, maybe three. The first is the old-reliable SR60, particularly with flats or comfies. With minimal ear/driver distance, the SR60 packs an amazing wallop and doesn't get overwhelmed by all that siss. The second (if the buzz is accurate) is the SR225, headphones I've never heard, but a pair whose fans rave about as the best value Grado has going. $200 is not a lot to pay for a decent set of headphones.

The HF-2 is, in my opinion, the ultimate Grado rocker. It has more refinement than any of the Prestige series cans I've owned and it has the most thump and slam of any Grado I've ever owned - the GS1k included. For all I know, it's a GS1k without the wooden overcoat. If so, it's tremendous value for the money. It isn't as rich in the upper mids as the RS1 but it's a great step between the RS1 and the GS1k, in terms of flat vs. recessed mids. It's a tribute to what you can do with a Grado, short of amping it. If the K-701 could produce bass like this, it would die from delight. The HF2 doesn't have that luxuriously wide soundstage, but what it lacks in soundstage, it makes up for in balance.

As for me, I feel that the RS1i has better detail, separation and extension while the HF2 has better timbre, bass and a fuller/balanced presentation. Imaging-wise and soundstage-wise, they are about the same. These Grados all fail in classical anyway.
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #59 of 173
Quote:

OK I'll bite.
biggrin.gif

I think Bilavideo puts it nicely in the other thread which I'm going to quote here.

As for me, I feel that the RS1i has better detail, separation and extension while the HF2 has better timbre, bass and a fuller/balanced presentation. Imaging-wise and soundstage-wise, they are about the same. These Grados all fail in classical anyway.
wink.gif

Thank you!

I found that to be extremely helpful, and exactly what I was looking for!

Much appreciated!

biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #60 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had both side by side for several weeks and I ended up selling the HF2. To my ears the HF2 had a tighter/deeper/punchier bass but at the cost of less extended treble, smaller soundstage, and not as open a presentation as the RS-1.

Well said mrarroyo, I couldn't decide so I kept both. I use the HF2 for electronic music for that added bass presence and RS1 for acoustic/rock. For $350 the HF2 is a good deal, I would set the alarm and camp out for these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back