Here I go again. (need recommendations)
Apr 5, 2011 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Snow_Fox

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I have discussed this a little on the OCN (overclock.net) forums and figured I would make my way here to see if maybe I could finally decide on an upgrade from my Audio Technica ES7 and Plantronics Gamerscon whatever cheapo version it is (analog not usb.) I am looking to hopefully upgrade soon since I am getting money back from tax returns. I game more than anything else on my computer and the headset will be used for gaming more than anything else. That does not mean that music/video is totally unimportant. The recommendation over at OCN was AD700, A700, ATH-M50 , and Beyer 770 along with a xonar DX sound card. Sadly I have no room for a dedicated sound card (two gpu's block all extra pci ports). I would say I am a "borderline" audiophile more than an "audiophile" if you will. I can definitely tell the difference between my ES7's and the Plantronics, and I find as I get older I am slowly (very slowly) becoming pickier.. (god I am only 22 and I sound 50.) The problem I have is that the plantronics actually have a decent soundstage compared to the ES7's although everything sounds a bit muddier. By comparsion I love the sharp crispness of the ES7's but, the lack of a soundstage is killer.. ITs funny because with the es7's I can hear distinct footsteps well and easily if I am listening. With the plantronics, it is harder to hear more minute sounds but, much easier to tell where they are coming from. I have 200$ to spend so I can't afford multiple sets of headphones :frowning2: I need a set that will be my everything. I listen to disturbed, rammstein, and a variety of music most of it being "rock" or "metal" which I think most people would say is pretty geared towards bass... Sadly the AD700 lack base.. and the A700 lack sound stage. I need serious help..and should I even worry about a sound card? some people swear by them others shoot em down.. So I am totally lost.

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 10
Apr 5, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 10
The Ad700s with the Astro Mixamp are highly recommended for gaming. If you enjoy your es7's why not use them strictly for music and the Ad700s for gaming? Heck you may even find you like the Ad700s despite the lack of bass.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
The Ad700s with the Astro Mixamp are highly recommended for gaming. If you enjoy your es7's why not use them strictly for music and the Ad700s for gaming? Heck you may even find you like the Ad700s despite the lack of bass.

Personally the idea of going back and forth just means more clutter and more annoyance..  Plus part of the fun of upgrading is seeing what else is out there.. and I am reading that guide now.. Sadly it seems to be confirming my thought process of "competitve" or "enjoyable sounds"

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 10
Do you plan on selling your ES7? If not I don't see why you shouldn't use both. The Ad700s are fantastic headphones, but definitely not suited for your music style. You like the ES7 for your music, but for gaming they don't cut it. That's how things go, especially when you want the "best." 

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Do you plan on selling your ES7? If not I don't see why you shouldn't use both. The Ad700s are fantastic headphones, but definitely not suited for your music style. You like the ES7 for your music, but for gaming they don't cut it. That's how things go, especially when you want the "best." 

I was mostly thinking about keeping the ES7's as a "slightly more portable solution" In the event I am on a long trip.. bigger than ear buds.. but, also almost no sound leakage...  maybe not "daily portables" but, I think I could find a place for em still.. just not at my desk as daily drivers.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 10
CAL! is considered be pretty good on both enjoyable and competitive + within budget.  I personally didn't quite like it as it seems a little small for my head and I have a big head.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 10
Think I will be good without a sound card? No room due to GPU. I am also considering opting for the AD700's if they don't have enough base maybe I can re sell.. although the A700 are still tempting >.<..... soo.. more research is in order from the list and comparison thread previously linked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back