Help with sr80i mods
Dec 28, 2010 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Danthrax

100+ Head-Fier
So I just got my sr80i and was looking through the mod thread where I saw a bunch of mods like this 

Now I'm very very new and I have no idea where to go or what to get to achieve something similar to this on my headphones and was wondering if anyone can point me at some cables and parts that I would need.

Also I was looking at portable amps and I have no idea what to look for, just something basic and inexpensive would be fine.

Final question, are the L-cups big enough to fit over your ears or is there something that doesn't cost $45 that will make them go over-ear?

thanks

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 14

Thanks for linking me to the thread that I've already looked at, that started in 2006 and has multiple dead links and isn't really useful for someone just getting into the hobby and not knowing what sites are good to buy material from or what material is good at all. I understand that you probably deal with this sort of question a lot and that you are one of the members that has been here for a long time but even you were new once and had someone help you out. I can use that thread as a reference but I'm looking for a good place to purchase materials really that is still in business and not just a dead link. Searching google for names of cables is a great way to find a shady site and get your credit information stolen. I'm not questioning your knowledge or anything but being a little more helpful and little less of a know it all would be great. I belong to a lot of forums mostly computer related ones (overclocking, cooling, building) and there are people on there that literally know nothing but I still try to help them with useful links and explanations not by just pointing them at a thread that has been going on for 4 years and saying your on your own.
Quote:

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Thanks for linking me to the thread that I've already looked at, that started in 2006 and has multiple dead links and isn't really useful for someone just getting into the hobby and not knowing what sites are good to buy material from or what material is good at all. I understand that you probably deal with this sort of question a lot and that you are one of the members that has been here for a long time but even you were new once and had someone help you out. I can use that thread as a reference but I'm looking for a good place to purchase materials really that is still in business and not just a dead link. Searching google for names of cables is a great way to find a shady site and get your credit information stolen. I'm not questioning your knowledge or anything but being a little more helpful and little less of a know it all would be great. I belong to a lot of forums mostly computer related ones (overclocking, cooling, building) and there are people on there that literally know nothing but I still try to help them with useful links and explanations not by just pointing them at a thread that has been going on for 4 years and saying your on your own.
Quote:

oh, sorry, thought you lost the thread with all the mods and needed help finding it, anywho, moving on, first question:from the pics, it looks like the owner has added detachable cables, though i'm not sure what make the cables are, here's a link for adding the removable cables and cable jack, http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php?file=grado_prj.htm search the page for "adding a cable jack" but IMHO, that's as far as i would go with cable mods, possibly a thinner/shorter cable, but i wouldn't invest heavily on the cable because you could quickly pay hundreds more than you payed for the sr80i's. question two: grados are easily driven by most portable sources and with a amp, the sound differences are very subtle, almost to the point of undetectable, if you want to try a amp, a reliable and cheap amp would be the total airhead by headroom, currently on sale for $89.99, or around $40-50 from the classified section of headfi. another nice portable amp would be one of the Ibasso's, haven't tried one yet, but the portability is a real incentive. finally, you can also DIY a cmoy amp for around $20-30 in parts or $50 ready to run off ebay (i remember most having a bass boost) anywho, third question: the l cups (ensalada bowls) fit all around your ears, though grado reccommends using them only for the ps1000 and gs1000, I remember some head fi members trying them on lesser models and being dissatisfied, other than those, no other earpad i know of fits a grado and goes over the ear. but if you want comfort at minimal price, the yellow senny pads are a good choice. If it is the comfort bothering you, try flexing the head-band a bit so it fits your chrome dome a bit better, usually, the headband is too tight giving more pressure than needed thus causing discomfort on the ears. another earpad to try would be the little brothers to the L cups, they're a bit less comfortable than the pancakes (flat pads) but if you want that genuine grado sound for literally the last 15 years, then those are your buds, either way, stretch the headband out, though this article is mainly advertising mods, the last bit was a bit helpful (supposedly applies to only C pads, hey, what'ya know, another pad, C, L, TTVJ, pancakes, mini salad bowls)  http://www.headphile.com/page5.html (end of page, though the mods are really inspiring, makes me miss my cocobolo modded 225i's

James

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 14

I wasn't looking to spend that much and was looking to get it from Amazon because I have gift cards, I actually saw on another thread in the amp section a few people recommending the e5 so I think I'll give it a shot. Now the L-cups for the grados they are bigger than the ones that come with the grado, correct? Or would it be pointless to get them if I want a larger diameter cushion to take the pad off my ear?
Quote:
I recommend get pa2v2, mini3, cmoy or E7 over E5.

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
I wasn't looking to spend that much and was looking to get it from Amazon because I have gift cards, I actually saw on another thread in the amp section a few people recommending the e5 so I think I'll give it a shot. Now the L-cups for the grados they are bigger than the ones that come with the grado, correct? Or would it be pointless to get them if I want a larger diameter cushion to take the pad off my ear?
Quote:
I recommend get pa2v2, mini3, cmoy or E7 over E5.

they can actually fit any grado perfectly because every grado has the same earpad mounting system ( not mentioning what is inside, because that has been discussed for eons and nobody can say whether the guts are the same) anywho, they're just even bigger pieces of foam, haven't seen the specs, but looks like they will put the drivers farther from your ears. moving on to the amps, most people recommend getting the E7 over the E5 because people claim the E7 is more effective, don't know much about this topic here. BTW, the mods thread is much alive and kicking, gotta give AAH (arm and hammer) credit for a great solution to one of the main complaints towards grados, the earcup mounting system can quickly become to loose and lose grip on the earcups allowing the to slide up and down freely, I think it was on the bottom of pg88

james

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 14
I mean the actual outer diameter of the pads I want ones that fit over my ear more instead of on my ear. They don't have to be too much bigger since they have a rim around the outside instead of being flat, I think I might just buy them. I'm still looking for a place that most people buy their cabling and connectors from.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
I mean the actual outer diameter of the pads I want ones that fit over my ear more instead of on my ear. They don't have to be too much bigger since they have a rim around the outside instead of being flat, I think I might just buy them. I'm still looking for a place that most people buy their cabling and connectors from.

http://www.neutrik.com/content/home/home.aspx?portal=us&language=1

could you be thinking of neutrik? common source for affordable cabling, and yes the L bowls go around your ears

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #12 of 14
update; I just searched up the "proper" terminology for the cushions, the L cush's are the mini salad bowls, they go on your ears, not around, and the over ears are the G cush's

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 14

Thanks, these are uncomfortable but not $45 uncomfortable (especially since they dry out and crumble). Might have to go to a craft store and see what I can find. And I'm looking for more a newegg for cabling/accessories if it exists?
Quote:
update; I just searched up the "proper" terminology for the cushions, the L cush's are the mini salad bowls, they go on your ears, not around, and the over ears are the G cush's

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #14 of 14
It doesn't have to be a single place a list of places that sell cables and connectors would be great, is there a thread somewhere that gives an overview of where to get things from? I tried looking for stickies but they appear to be non-existent on here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back