Help with Little Dot and turntable
Jan 1, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, so the TCC TC-760LC isn't a phono stage? Whats the difference?

Thanks.

The TCC TC-760LC is a phono stage amp. It will do the trick. I think others were just trying to say an inexpensive receiver would also have one and cost you less. This is true, but then you'd have to have a receiver laying around vs. the small TCC unit.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #17 of 21
if you know how to solder, i recommend the hagerman bugle. You buy it as a kit which includes a parts list and a board, then buy the components and assemble. It is available at hagtech.com

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #18 of 21
So,
Until my TCC Phono-amp arrives I remembered the Receiver we have sitting in the closet here at work might have a phono amp and it did (Sony DA5300ES). So I'm trying out some of my records that I just bought (Decemberists, Iron&Wine, Laura Gibson) and I'm not really hearing anything to be excited about.

I mean, I plugged the LDIII into my Mac and played some MP3s and it was great, tried the new Grados vs my old headphones and it was also sweet, I for sure am hearing something I enjoy more then my old headphones directly plugged into my computer. Tried some records vs the same songs I have on MP3 and meh, any suggestions on what I should be listening for?

Sam

Jan 3, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #19 of 21
Not everyone who starts out with vinyl is amazed with the sound quality. However, it's usually because of a mismatched cartridge or that the tonearm is not setup properly. You may consider double checking all this because I think you'll find that once things are setup nicely, the sound quality will far surpass your other formats.

Jan 3, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So,
Until my TCC Phono-amp arrives I remembered the Receiver we have sitting in the closet here at work might have a phono amp and it did (Sony DA5300ES). So I'm trying out some of my records that I just bought (Decemberists, Iron&Wine, Laura Gibson) and I'm not really hearing anything to be excited about.

I mean, I plugged the LDIII into my Mac and played some MP3s and it was great, tried the new Grados vs my old headphones and it was also sweet, I for sure am hearing something I enjoy more then my old headphones directly plugged into my computer. Tried some records vs the same songs I have on MP3 and meh, any suggestions on what I should be listening for?

Sam

Also, don't forget to run the MKIII for at least 100hrs before worrying about sound quality. Just plug your mac into it and your phones and select all and repeat, set the volume
smily_headphones1.gif
and let her go!

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not everyone who starts out with vinyl is amazed with the sound quality. However, it's usually because of a mismatched cartridge or that the tonearm is not setup properly. You may consider double checking all this because I think you'll find that once things are setup nicely, the sound quality will far surpass your other formats.

What do you mean setup correctly? I have a Ortofon OMP10 on my Technics SL-BD20D (upon a suggestion from a vinyl friend that the cart really makes a difference) and I haven't fiddled with the tone arm. Should I weigh it down/up eh? And yea, prolly still got another 3 days of running the LDIII before I get to the 100hr mark.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back